Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    Not sure if this is the right place to post, so please bear with me, its my first post.

I went away in 2007 with BA from London Heathrow to Madrid. The flight was cancelled due to a technical problem with the plane, we were offered a nights accommodation in premier in with food provided but we still missed out on a nights accommodation in Spain.

My question is - can I still make a claim and if so,do i write to BA directly?

You have 6 years from the date of the flight.
    Depending when in 2007 you may be out of/running short of time
    Contact BA in the first instance - template letters are in the FAQs
  • alwaysonthego1234
    Options
    Caz3121, thanks - it was august 2007 that we went away.

This may sound like a daft question, so i apologise in advance. Please can you advise me where the FAQ's are.

Thanks
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    Options
    Click on 'go' in 'Forum jump' at bottom right of this page
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • alwaysonthego1234
    Options
    suelees1 - Thanks :)
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Caz3121, thanks - it was august 2007 that we went away.

This may sound like a daft question, so i apologise in advance. Please can you advise me where the FAQ's are.

Thanks

this is the BA thread....FAQs in post 4 and also worth checking out the link in post 2

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4384701
  • alwaysonthego1234
    Options
    Thank you very much for your assistance. I will write to them tomorrow and hopefully, it gets the ball rolling.
  • greenhillsbythecoast
    Options
    Correct IMO
    Then if those reasons are repeated in writing, that is an operational decision by the airline which has nothing to do with extraordinary circumstances.

Well at long last I have had a reply from Thomson Airways. In January they sent a form for me to complete although I had provided all of the information in my original letter. I contacted the CAA who said they would take it up on my behalf. The CAA sent a letter telling Thomson Airways to get on with it. Thomson Airways letter was sent on the 55th day of the 56 days to reply. It states "After investigating your claim for compensation, I can see from our internal airline reports that your flight was affected by a delay caused by a technical problem which occurred outside of routine maintenance checks." After trying a number of times I eventually got through to them today on the phone to ask for more information and why at the time the pilot stated the flight was delayed because it was re-routed to Cancun to pick up passengers from a problem flight. Thomson Airways have now clarified with that the delay was a "reactionary delay" due to a "hydrolyic leak from the vertical stab (the tail end of the plane) in Cancun" and that as the "root cause of delay" was outside routine maintenance checks no compensation was due. I have spoken with CAA today and they are going to request proof of the fault and will give a view on whether the airline is right or wrong in its decision. I will let you know the outcome - even if it is a few months away!
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    paulagray wrote: »
    Well at long last I have had a reply from Thomson Airways. In January they sent a form for me to complete although I had provided all of the information in my original letter. I contacted the CAA who said they would take it up on my behalf. The CAA sent a letter telling Thomson Airways to get on with it. Thomson Airways letter was sent on the 55th day of the 56 days to reply. It states "After investigating your claim for compensation, I can see from our internal airline reports that your flight was affected by a delay caused by a technical problem which occurred outside of routine maintenance checks." After trying a number of times I eventually got through to them today on the phone to ask for more information and why at the time the pilot stated the flight was delayed because it was re-routed to Cancun to pick up passengers from a problem flight. Thomson Airways have now clarified with that the delay was a "reactionary delay" due to a "hydrolyic leak from the vertical stab (the tail end of the plane) in Cancun" and that as the "root cause of delay" was outside routine maintenance checks no compensation was due. I have spoken with CAA today and they are going to request proof of the fault and will give a view on whether the airline is right or wrong in its decision. I will let you know the outcome - even if it is a few months away!

You are wasting your time.
    What will you do if the CAA say that your claim is legitimate, and Thomson then say that they don't agree with the decision and aren't going to pay.
    The CAA can't force them to pay.
    If you sincerely believe that Thomson *just might* change their minds, and pay up, without any court action on your part, then please proceed as you are doing.
  • 725lee
    725lee Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Hi,

Hope you can help me.
    I sent Easyjet a letter for compensation as I had an 8 hour delay from Portugal to London. They did offer an alternative flight to Luton but my car was at Gatwick.
    They have refused the compensation claim as follows

As you will remember from our Terms and Conditions, when your flight is delayed for more than one hour beyond its scheduled departure time, if you do not wish to travel on the delayed flight you can choose a free re-route on the next available easyJet flight or you can cancel your seat and receive a credit for future flights with us. I understand that you chose to travel on the delayed flight. Having checked our records, flight was delayed due to technical reason.

A situation like that is considered, under our Carrier's Regulations and European Law, to be outside our reasonable control. For this reason, I'm afraid we cannot offer you any compensation.

Further correspondence received stated below

I appreciate your response. I would like to inform you that our delay or cancelled reports are generated by our dedicated disruption team. Also all reports that are created are verified and confirmed by CAA. The European Commission guidelines say that if a flight has been cancelled or delayed because of an 'extraordinary circumstance', or something beyond our reasonable control, then any follow-on disruptions are also seen to have been caused by that extraordinary circumstance.

Further to this I also had a 27 hour delay from Cuba to London.
    This was a package holiday from Thomas Cook using Thomas Cook airlines. Do I have any right to request compensation on either of these.

Many thanks for any help.
  • l.walton
    l.walton Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    l.walton wrote: »
    Have had a default judgement against Singapore Airlines for around 2 months now and still no word from them so I forked out the £100 for an enforcement of judgement today. Hoping to hear something now :)

No word about my warrant and have had it two weeks now so just gave the court in charge of it a call.

Apparently they have a couple of warrants against Singapore Airlines and there is 'not much they can do' as they won't let them into the building.

Don't really know where to go from here. I don't get my £100 back either!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback