Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• tulip12
    tulip12 Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi all
    we were delayed over 7 hours on a flight to Corfu in 2008 with Air Malta, we booked with Air Flights but do not have the flight number now. Is there any way we could find this out? Is it worth pursuing ?
    thanks for any advice :)
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you could try flightstats as in the FAQs
  • tulip12
    tulip12 Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    you could try flightstats as in the FAQs
    Thanks

It asks for the flight number which is what I do not have :)
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tulip12 wrote: »
    Thanks

It asks for the flight number which is what I do not have :)
    you can search "by route" and date (may need to register)
  • Chilly76
    Chilly76 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 4 April 2013 at 1:54PM
    Options
    It worked!!! I just got £1550 a cheque today from BA. I travelled to Dar es Salaam end of January this year me and my two children, and on our return journey, our flight was delayed for 54 hours! When I arrived in UK I wrote to them claiming compensation, first they replied by email apologising and offering a £50 e-voucher. A voucher that I should use only on BA flight! I was furious, picked up the phone and rang them, the Woman on the phone said there was nothing they could do as the delays was caused by technical fault. I didn't want to give up, I wrote them two other letters with different dates on, one letter reminded them that I was still waiting their response as 21 days had passed. The second letter I responded to their email and this time I was complaining how I was disgusted with their £50 e-voucher, which was irrelevant to 54 hours delays in a foreign country, with two young children without being provided food or accommodation! I then attached a £100.emergency cash withdraw receipt. Using the template letters provided in this site, I sent my letters via 2nd class recorded mail. Then it was a waiting game which ended today with a cheque! Very pleased with the outcomes as the payout is more than the original ticket! Definitely, I will travel with BA again!...I am now going to the bank and cant wait my cheque to clear!
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chilly76 wrote: »
    It worked!!! I just got £1550 a cheque today from BA. I travelled to Dar es Salaam end of January this year me and my two children, and on our return journey, our flight was delayed for 54 hours! When I arrived in UK I wrote to them claiming compensation, first they replied by email apologising and offering a £50 e-voucher. A voucher that I should use only on BA flight! I was furious, picked up the phone and rang them, the Woman on the phone said there was nothing they could do as the delays was caused by technical fault. I didn't want to give up, I wrote them two other letters with different dates on, one letter reminded them that I was still waiting their response as 21 days had passed. The second letter I responded to their email and this time I was complaining how I was disgusted with their £50 e-voucher, which was irrelevant to 54 hours delays in a foreign country, with two young children without being provided food or accommodation! I then attached a £100.emergency cash withdraw receipt. Using the template letters provided in this site, I sent my letters via 2nd class recorded mail. Then it was a waiting game which ended today with a cheque! Very pleased with the outcomes as the payout is more than the original ticket! Definitely, I will travel with BA again!...I am now going to the bank and cant wait my cheque to clear!
    Many Congrats.
    We need a "Sucess" thread
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • ih8modem
    ih8modem Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ian41 wrote: »
    Well BT might be more helpful but I doubt it! :)

No do not bother to go back to BA at this stage - let's wait to hear the result of the ECJ deliberations first.

Incidentally, it is exactly for these reasons that the Sturgeon judgment was seen as such a breakthrough - treating the inconvenience of a long delay over 3 hours in the same way as a cancellation for compensation purposes.

Ian41, I wanted to thank you for all your advice. Even though I went quiet on the forum, we have been pursuing this case all along, we followed the outcome of the ECJ ruling, and pushed a few more letters to BA. We had all but given up, when this morning a cheque for £512 (€600) landed on our doormat.

So, to anyone else reading this, don't be put off. It can be done.
  • debrajean
    debrajean Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone else tried to claim ref flight BA 2155 18th January 2013? Flight was due to leave at 11am but did not leave till 3pm. Yes, it was snowing but, by the pilot's own admission, that wasn't the cause of the delays. After taxi-ing to the runway he stated over the tannoy system that the 'de-icing' had not been carried out properly (to his satisfaction) and we were returning to the stand to have it done again. This meant we missed our slot. We were then stuck in a ridiculous 'loop' whereby we had to wait for another de-icing slot, by the time that was done we missed our take off slot again, I think this happened 3 more times before we eventually took off. Much was made on the BBC news subsequently about British Airways failure to ensure sufficient de-icing capacity at Gatwick. My understanding of this is that it is the airline's fault and not the weather - has anyone else tried to claim please?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    debrajean wrote: »
    Has anyone else tried to claim ref flight BA 2155 18th January 2013? Flight was due to leave at 11am but did not leave till 3pm. Yes, it was snowing but, by the pilot's own admission, that wasn't the cause of the delays. After taxi-ing to the runway he stated over the tannoy system that the 'de-icing' had not been carried out properly (to his satisfaction) and we were returning to the stand to have it done again. This meant we missed our slot. We were then stuck in a ridiculous 'loop' whereby we had to wait for another de-icing slot, by the time that was done we missed our take off slot again, I think this happened 3 more times before we eventually took off. Much was made on the BBC news subsequently about British Airways failure to ensure sufficient de-icing capacity at Gatwick. My understanding of this is that it is the airline's fault and not the weather - has anyone else tried to claim please?

Post in the BA thread.
  • maghater
    maghater Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bbbcfc wrote: »
    yesterday(2/4/13) made phone call to thomas cook re delayed flight. nice lady took details and said would pass on but will take upto 28 days for reply. got reply tonight (3/4/13) stating flights can be delayed and thomas cook did everthing they could and kept us informed. they never said why in 26/07/10 our flight to turkey was delayed by 8 hours, and stated no comp will be giving. has anyone had this before, or can someone advise me what to do. as i have never done this before. i.e. never claimed comp for anything. regards Baz
    If you go onto page 1 of the Thomas Cook delay thread of this forum, there is an excellent section of FAQs and template letters. If you believe you have got grounds for a claim, use the CAA template letter, that will at least start the ball rolling
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback