Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• finwells
    finwells Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 2 April 2013 at 10:54PM
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    Give us the details and we can help. When was the flight? From where to where? And who were the airline?

hi thank you

the flight was with first choice from Gatwick to Mombasa on jan 23rd 2009. we were delayed 24 hours. i have all details, original tickets and booking info etc. :cool:
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    finwells wrote: »
    hi thank you

the flight was with first choice from Gatwick to Mombasa on jan 23rd 2009. we were delayed 24 hours. i have all details, original tickets and booking info etc. :cool:

I've picked this up in the Thomson thread.
  • skinnybloke
    Options
    Ich wrote: »
    So an airline does the right thing for a medical emergency and things get delayed, yet all you want is your money?
    Sorry I know it is the law but by heck in cases like this it is a proverbial !!!!!

Mmmmmm - at the airport they said that the problem was due to a luggage problem on a flight from Israel causing a knock on affect (cannot remember the details - need to double check with friends), not a medical emergency. That is why I to follow this up.
  • maghater
    maghater Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ich wrote: »
    So an airline does the right thing for a medical emergency and things get delayed, yet all you want is your money?
    Sorry I know it is the law but by heck in cases like this it is a proverbial !!!!!
    I doesn't take an airline 8 hours to make a medical diversion! Which is after all part and parcel of operating an airline, 200 plus passengers, stressful conditions, the proverbial will and does happen. The problem with operators such as Monarch, and Thomas Cook is that they operate on the edge. Planes are fully committed, and back up crews don't exist, because they want paying. This is reflected in their stats on WWW.flightontime.info . IMHO it is one of the aims of EC 261 to encourage more sensible plane scheduling by penalising such operators. We are talking about knock on effects, and an eight hour delay. No defence to the airline under recital 14 so yes I think there is a case
  • jonji
    jonji Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Martin.
    Saw your article on flight delay compensation and so applied to B.A. for compensation for 3hr+ delay on outward flight to Barbados last November, due to faulty part on incoming aircraft with spare not available at Gatwick. They had to transport one over from Heathrow. I maintained that the fault was known on the incoming aircraft inflight leaving enough time to organize a replacement.
    After a nudge or two, B.A. acknowledged my claim as valid and are sending me a cheque for £511.72 (2 x 300 euros for myself and my partner) as compensation. I have to say no real stress or hassles from their end.
    I missed the whole first afternoon/evening of my holiday but this compensation is very useful.
    Thanks again
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jonji wrote: »
    Thank you Martin.
    Saw your article on flight delay compensation and so applied to B.A. for compensation for 3hr+ delay on outward flight to Barbados last November, due to faulty part on incoming aircraft with spare not available at Gatwick. They had to transport one over from Heathrow. I maintained that the fault was known on the incoming aircraft inflight leaving enough time to organize a replacement.
    After a nudge or two, B.A. acknowledged my claim as valid and are sending me a cheque for £511.72 (2 x 300 euros for myself and my partner) as compensation. I have to say no real stress or hassles from their end.
    I missed the whole first afternoon/evening of my holiday but this compensation is very useful.
    Thanks again
    I think you will find that you are due more than that due to distance AFAIK? Check the FAQ?
    Unless you re happy with being short changed by BA;)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    I think you will find that you are due more than that due to distance AFAIK? Check the FAQ?
    Unless you re happy with being short changed by BA;)

€300 is correct if the delay was over 3 hours but under 4 hours. If over 4 hours it would be €600
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    €300 is correct if the delay was over 3 hours but under 4 hours. If over 4 hours it would be €600
    Even though it was to Barbados?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Barbados is 6,760km

3,500km+, eg, London to New York 3-4 hours €300 (£254) 4+ hours €600 (£508)
  • jonji
    jonji Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your concerns (above) ref. compensation figures

From B.A. -
    Following a recent decision made by the European Court of Justice, passengers delayed in arriving by three hours or more are entitled to compensation unless the delay was caused by “extraordinary circumstances”. I can confirm that you are entitled to compensation for the delay of your flight BA2155 on the 28 November 2012. The distance of your disrupted journey, as calculated in accordance with EU legislation, was over 3500km.
    As you arrived at your destination within four hours of the scheduled arrival time, you are entitled to €300 in compensation, which is 50% of the full amount.
    As there are two passengers included in your claim, the total compensation due is €600.

I think they are correct and are being fair. After the hundreds of posts I've seen decrying the airlines (admittedly mostly the wretched low budget versions) and the general and collective intransigence regarding the new compensation regulations, I thought maybe we might rejoice in their gradual acceptance of their responsibilities. I think it's gradually getting through to them. At the end of the day, it's not compensation we want but efficient and punctual service or polite and swift restitution when things go wrong. Keep up the good work - and keep complaining!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback