Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• No1poolerfan
    No1poolerfan Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 3 April 2013 at 4:37PM
    Options
    We travelled to Sharm El Sheik 18 June 2005 for 2 weeks from Gatwick. Our flight was with Exel Air which has gone bust since. Our flight back was delayed over 24 hours so can we claim and who from?

After all this time we have no boarding/ flight tickets so no evidence
  • nick1825
    Options
    Monarch - Manchester to Sharm el Sheikh 11/11/10 MON4952

After chasing Monarch for nearly a month, via 3 letters (last to The Company Secretary), I was finally directed to their EU Claim Department.

Myself and my wife had to complete individual claims and we were told we would have a decision with 28 days. Today was the 28th day and we have just received confirmation that they are paying our claim for the delay on the above flight - £509 each.
  • kenlyn50
    kenlyn50 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    have just seen the programme highlighting delayed flight compensation. this reminded me that we were delayed by 7 hours returning to gatwick in 2006 from tenerife. my question on this which the programme did not cover is what if the airline has gone out of buisness, can you still claim. we made the booking through airflights.co.uk so would we be able to claim from them. would appreciate answers to this. thanks
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We travelled to Sharm El Sheik 18 June 2005 for 2 weeks from Gatwick. Our flight was with Exel Air which has gone bust since. Our flight back was delayed over 24 hours so can we claim and who from?

After all this time we have no boarding/ flight tickets so no evidence

All in the FAQs
    Airline bust = no claim
    over 6 years = out of time
  • Caz3121
    Options
    kenlyn50 wrote: »
    have just seen the programme highlighting delayed flight compensation. this reminded me that we were delayed by 7 hours returning to gatwick in 2006 from tenerife. my question on this which the programme did not cover is what if the airline has gone out of buisness, can you still claim. we made the booking through airflights.co.uk so would we be able to claim from them. would appreciate answers to this. thanks

All in the FAQs

can you claim from the agent = NO, claim is from the airline
    Airline bust = no claim
    over 6 years = out of time
  • No1Claret
    Options
    In June 2007 we booked a package with Travel City, we had a 24 hour delay on our fight from Manchester to Orlando, due to a technical fault. We were travelling with two children and after such a delay did spoil the holiday. Would we be entitled to compensation as the airline XL airways has gone bust as has Travel City, which was later bought out by Virgin.
  • Ich_2
    Ich_2 Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    Options
    See the FAQs, Airline bust = No compensation, you have no claim against the agent
  • bbbcfc
    bbbcfc Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    yesterday(2/4/13) made phone call to thomas cook re delayed flight. nice lady took details and said would pass on but will take upto 28 days for reply. got reply tonight (3/4/13) stating flights can be delayed and thomas cook did everthing they could and kept us informed. they never said why in 26/07/10 our flight to turkey was delayed by 8 hours, and stated no comp will be giving. has anyone had this before, or can someone advise me what to do. as i have never done this before. i.e. never claimed comp for anything. regards Baz
  • Caz3121
    Options
    try reading and posting on the Thomas Cook thread
  • Martin08
    Options
    I travelled to Spain in 2010 with another adult and 2 children and had a long delay on my flight - I wrote to the airline company at the time but was told that the legislation was being challenged and there was nothing that could be done at the time. After the information appeared on the Martin Lewis site - I wrote again in Nov 2012 - In Feb this I was awarded £1041 in vouchers, however, I felt that I didn't want to be tied into spending compensation on a holiday with same company. After checking on this forum, I wrote to the company thanking them for the offer in vouchers and expressing my preference for cash. I recently received a cheque for the same amount. Thanks to Martin Lewis for the clear and helpful advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback