Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• jlc57
    jlc57 Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Following over 5 hours delay in April 2012 from Paris to Orlando I have to say that I have been extremely impressed by the way that Air France handled our claim. They immediately paid meal expenses (receipts sent to them) and now we are waiting for the Euro600 for the 3 of us to be transferred to our bank account. So thanks to Air France and also to this Martin Lewis site which pointed out that we could claim, great result for us.:j
  • Sianderz
    Options
    I received a response from Thomas Cook to my claim. They just sent me a standard template saying that as I complained over 28 days after the flight they wouldn't be investigating my comments.

Any advice on what my next step should be?
  • YG3
    YG3 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 31 December 2012 at 1:08PM
    Options
    Hi sorry new to this, was just wondering if anyone can advise If we would be entitled to compensation, our Jet 2 flight from Greece left on time but had to make a landing in Italy due to a member of the cabin crew taking Ill,(the judgment was made by a first aider who was a passanger on the plain as it appears jet 2 do not have crew who are qualified in 1st aid & had to make an appeal to the passangers if there was a doctor or nurse on board which there wasnt but a first aider on board took over) we landed in Italy @ 11.30pm & eventually got to a hotel @5.30am, after being left in a closed airport with only 1 Italian lady trying to get hotel rooms for a plane load of passangers, when I say closed I mean closed not even a vending machine to get a drink from, The return bus from the hotel picked us up @8am (2.5hrs later) however we were not notified of this & therefore missed breakfast (some passangers even missed the bus) our rescheduled flight took of @12.30pm & I arrived back home @ 5pm when I should have been home @ 3.30am, airline are refusing compensation for loss of earning, having to make alternative travel plans home etc & told us to contact travel insurance company, travel insurance company say we cant claim as flight wasnt actually delayed, if it had been delayed in Greece we would have got £30 each for food drinks telephone calls etc, though being stranded in Italy & having to make telephone calls etc does not count, should I go back to Jet 2 under this compensation ruling or an I just wasting my time?
  • grana1963
    Options
    hi....new to this....we were delayed on our return from bodrum turkey in 2007....we were delayed for over 3 hours then our flight was cancelled the airline then organised another flight 24 hours later...tried to look up flight stats to find out my flight although nothing is showing....is there another way of tracing your flight
  • LBD
    LBD Posts: 261 Forumite
    Options
    Aidy1972 wrote: »
    Hi, got my 2nd e-mail from them yesterday saying they are still investigating the circumstances of the delay. Upto know i've had 1 letter and 2 emails since I posted my letter. Heres hoping. Let me know how you get on, i'll do same.

That's the same response both Mark & I got, I have nothing from them since the 26/11/2012 and that was in response to them having lost the paperwork and it all have become separated...

If you gave them 14 days to respond and they have not, you next step is to submit county court paperwork, you will have no option with Monarch....

Even then they will defend it and a court date will be issued...as yet so far as i know none of us have reached the getting to court as yet...

I would suggest you make your court claim soon, as this is going to be like the PPI and banks, the sooner you make the claim the sooner you are in the court system, as the next couple of months I am sure the court is going to become very busy...:rotfl:
  • canitbeme
    Options
    My wife and a work colleague suffered a 5 hour flight delay from Sri Lanka to London Heathrow which meant that they then missed their connecting flight home to Edinburgh. Flights were all booked by local travel agent but apparently the tickets were booked as separate flights due to non code sharing agreements between British Airways and Sri Lankan Airlines.My wife and friend had to wait another 7 hours at Heathrow for another flight to Edinburgh and had to buy the tickets themselves as BA insisted it was not their problem. They have complained to the travel agent who just passed then on to their main holiday supplier who after a six month delay has offered to refund the cost of the Heathrow to Edinburgh tickets and no more. Does the new EU rule apply in this instance and if so who do they persue, Sri Lanka Airlines or British Airways or travel companies ?? Help and advice would be appreciated
  • rusty_frog
    Options
    Sianderz wrote: »
    I received a response from Thomas Cook to my claim. They just sent me a standard template saying that as I complained over 28 days after the flight they wouldn't be investigating my comments.

Any advice on what my next step should be?

First of all, well done for getting any sort of response from Thomas Cook!
    I wonder just how long you had to wait for that..

Regarding the 28 days...
    TC will no doubt claim that this is in their terms and conditions.
    However, I hope others will agree with me, that any company terms and conditions do not over ride the law.

It is up to you as to what to do next, but TC (in my opinion) are just up to their usual tricks of either ignoring, stalling or fobbing off.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

• ScoobyZ
    ScoobyZ Posts: 487 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

I had a bad experience with a flight Heathrow to Miami, we were diverted to Nassau (Bahamas) due to bad weather, Once landed we were fuelled quickly but held up due to paperwork and we went over the 12 hour legal flight time. We ended up spending 6 hours on the ground at Nassau. Eventually getting to Miami at 11pm (original ETA 3pm) some 8 hours late.

Although bad weather was the initial problem the further dealys were due to paperwork. Do you think it is worth pursuing?

I have the original flight tickets in an email and found some details of other people affected on this post on another forum:

http://v-flyer.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=259312
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    canitbeme wrote: »
    My wife and a work colleague suffered a 5 hour flight delay from Sri Lanka to London Heathrow which meant that they then missed their connecting flight home to Edinburgh. Flights were all booked by local travel agent but apparently the tickets were booked as separate flights due to non code sharing agreements between British Airways and Sri Lankan Airlines.My wife and friend had to wait another 7 hours at Heathrow for another flight to Edinburgh and had to buy the tickets themselves as BA insisted it was not their problem. They have complained to the travel agent who just passed then on to their main holiday supplier who after a six month delay has offered to refund the cost of the Heathrow to Edinburgh tickets and no more. Does the new EU rule apply in this instance and if so who do they persue, Sri Lanka Airlines or British Airways or travel companies ?? Help and advice would be appreciated

As your delay was from outside the EU with a non-EU airline, the EU compensation does not apply
    With separate tickets the delay to Edinburgh does not qualify for compensation as the passenger did not present themselves at the airport to fly
    Refund of the flight is a good result in my opinion, it is worth checking travel insurance if they offer anything further
  • Lismore
    Lismore Posts: 4 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 28 December 2012 at 9:59PM
    Options
    mummyfurby wrote: »
    hi

our flight was delayed from orlando to gatwick back in november by 5 hours. i put in a claim for compensation but have had a letter back saying this claim is declined due to it being extraordinary circumstances which were beyond their control. the delay was apparently due to accidental damage to an engine. it went on to say that the fault was found they utilized another plane to operate the flight out to orlando, and this flight was then used for the return flight back to gatwick, this was our flight. but when we were at the airport we were told that the fault had been found once the plane had arrived at orlando not before.

As a result of the delay I missed my booked train home which I had booked a good 4 hours after our scheduled arrival to take in account of delays and had to purchase another train ticket.

the flight home was uncomfortable and the food was not really edible and as a result my 12 year went without food.

is there any other way of claiming any compensation back for this delay or does virgin have the last word on this matter.

We had the misfortune to be on the flight VS015 from Gatwick to Orlando, the plane you returned on.

We boarded our newly updated plane at 13.00hrs, on time, but we were then told that a small part was needed for one of the engines and this would delay us by 1 hour. Later we were told that it was more serious and that the engine would need a test run so we were asked to disembark. We had our meal and then re boarded another older style plane some time after 17.00hrs and we left just on 18.00hrs, just 5 hours late.

We were then informed that the aeroplane was departing in a hurry without any food whatsoever. To have delayed the flight any further would have meant a delay until the next day because a new cabin crew would have been needed. So in a 9hr 30 min flight we had a minute packet of pretzels on take off and then a small sandwich and an even smaller cake just before landing. Apart from that only a very few drinks were offered.

On landing we were then told that Orlando had sent all their immigration staff home so we had another 1hr delay while they found just three very uhappy staff to handle a very full 747. We were fairly near the front of the queue and got through in about 1h3 30min. The last one probably had another hour of two wait.

By the time we cleared immigration is was around 00.30hrs and then had another 1hr wait to collect the car.

We arrived at our apartment just on 03.00hrs, very hungry, very tired and very cross.

So Virgin no compensation = bye bye Virgin Atlantic and bye bye Virgin Media
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback