Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Culvervilla
    Options
    I followed the process on this website exactly after a flight was delayed by 5 hours. Finally after the letter to CAA I received 1200 Euros from Easyjet. Thank you Money Saving expert
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just curious - why are people on here saying they wrote to the CAA - can they actually do anything regarding delayed flights? I am expecting a rebuttal on the first stage of my claim with Thomas Cook for a 26 hours delayed flight to Cuba and wondering if that would be the way to go after they write telling me to get stuffed? One thing I recall very clearly from the first flight is the pilot saying that he had argued to carry on to Cuba but operations insisted on him returning to Gatwick (quick summary - we started off on time, turned round half way, then new flight the next day)

I think there's someone else on here that was on the same flight as you. Look back over the last half dozen pages or so.
    I said that you need to reply or take action (depending on what stage you are at), but clearly they made a commercial decision to turn around as it was cheaper for them to fix the plane here. It's not a safety issue or an extraordinary circumstance.

Btw, that's an 'extraordinary' amount of 'thanks' you have, pro-rata to posts. Do you regularly give out next weeks lottery numbers or something? :D
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    Options
    I followed the process on this website exactly after a flight was delayed by 5 hours. Finally after the letter to CAA I received 1200 Euros from Easyjet. Thank you Money Saving expert

Well done. Easyjet are one of the companies that have realised the game's up and have started paying out.
  • Gobbledegeek
    Options
    On 14th November 2006 I flew from Chicago to Rome via Madrid. The flight from Madrid was delayed by more than three hours. The flights were booked through the British Airways Executive Club (the outward London-Chicago leg was flown BA, Iberia was a Oneworld partner).

I wrote to BritishAirways Customer Relations, EUCompensation Claims, POBox 5619, Sudbury,Suffolk, CO10 2PG on 7th November but have not had a reply. Am I writing to the correct address or should I write to Iberia? I still have my e-ticket.
  • SandLake
    SandLake Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks again Centipede100

I was travelling Orlando-Manchester-Dublin all on one ticket, I had 70 minutes to make the connection in Manchester. In Orlando we boarded for an ontime departure but the flight beside us, Virgins Orlando to Gatwick flight developed a technical problem and they decided to hold our flight in order to get as many passengers as possible off that stricken aircraft and onto ours. I think it was something like 75 passengers that got transferred. We ended up being delayed by 62 minutes meaning I had no chance of making my connection, I raised this with the crew while still in Orlando but nothing came of it. I got home approx 7 hours late, Virgin did look after me while in Manchester.
    That is my version of events based on what I was told at the time (the captain announced it on the tannoy), it has never been confirmed in writing to me.

For clarity, as I am not a legal expert, if I engage a claims handling company and they do send a Letter Before Action, will they not handle the legal claim? I'm not saying I don't want to do it but they would (should) have considerable experience and be in a better position than me to proceed or react subject to the calendar restrictions.

When you say issue a legal claim, do you mean an MCOL?

Thanks
  • millymollie
    Options
    I have had the same standard fob off letter from Thomas cook, word for word the same!
    I have contacted their Director's Office to ascertain the reason for the delay, we were told last year that it was due to technical problems, which according to the ruling are not classed as extraordinary circumstances. However, they are now claiming extraordinary circs with no further explanation!

Maybe if enough people take them to court they will relent and start paying out as per BA, Easyjet etc. Here's hoping!!!
  • supermum4
    supermum4 Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i've had the same 28day reply fob off from thomas cook so next step court papers i think:)
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    Mark2spark wrote: »

Btw, that's an 'extraordinary' amount of 'thanks' you have, pro-rata to posts. Do you regularly give out next weeks lottery numbers or something? :D

I wish!! do you really think I would fly Thomas Cook if I did :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Just on a "chatty" thread in another section!!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • williamro
    Options
    re # 3702 "You need to contact the operating carrier not the carrier that issued your ticket."

Is not his contract with the carrier that issued his ticket rather than the flight provider?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback