We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

AXA pulling out of pet insurance

Options

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Kinski wrote: »
    I've just had Ellie's renewal through from Axa, it's only gone up by £30.00, last year it went up by £170.00 and I was half expecting another big increase to say I'm relieved is an understatement :rotfl::rotfl:

Are you still with Axa?

What is you renewal date?
  • OnAndUp
    OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 June 2014 at 8:13PM
    Options
    I really hope,its not them - just had a quick look and lifetime policies ppesr to be £4k and £12k / year - the middle £7k that axa have isn't there (personally feel £4k is too little and £12k too much & will likely be unaffordable anyway)

My Exact thoughts too rising from the ashes! ;)

I think £7000 is a decent amount surely they would do something? else between £4k & £12k?
    "Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"
  • Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Are you still with Axa?

What is you renewal date?

Ellie's policy is still with Axa and the renewal date is the 18th of July, it must take them a wee while to change everything over to the new provider so Im guessing that those of us with policies due within a couple of months will still be with Axa for another year.
  • OnAndUp
    Options
    I've just had Ellie's renewal through from Axa, it's only gone up by £30.00, last year it went up by £170.00 and I was half expecting another big increase to say I'm relieved is an understatement :rotfl::rotfl:

Hi Kinski!

I'm also wondering the same is that still with AXA or with the new company?

Thanks!
  • OnAndUp
    Options
    Cross posted lol!! ;):rotfl:

Thanks for letting us know! :)
  • sheramber
    Options
    Ellie's policy is still with Axa and the renewal date is the 18th of July, it must take them a wee while to change everything over to the new provider so Im guessing that those of us with policies due within a couple of months will still be with Axa for another year.

Mine is due for renewal at the beginning of August so I am hoping it will still be with aXA
  • walks_alot
    Options
    Apologies if this post is in the wrong place or something, i'm not used to forums.
    I have just heard about AXA insurance pulling out of pet insurance, having 7 so called life policies this has me panicked.
    I phoned AXA who don't seem to be giving out any useful info, went on line to the company who is taking over and got a quote for my youngest dog who is just 2, the premium was double, my eldest is almost 8, have shopped around and can get other insurance all more expensive and usually with less cover than for the price i am currently paying, but why should we have to do this, as far as I am concerned life time cover should mean life time.
    I have phoned the Ombudsman who said I can make a complaint and referred me to the financial conduct authority. The advice I got from them was to get as many people I know who also have the same insurance to email as much information to them as possible, details of your policy etc at consumer.queries@fac.org.uk. They do not deal with individual cases but gather as much information about the company and if appropriate then take action against them. I don't know anyone else who insures with AXA so thought this might be the best option. I thought there would be much more on line about it but no one seems to be saying much. It's not as if AXA have gone bust they have just made a decision to stop pet insurance.
  • sheramber
    Options
    Last July policy holders were sent a letter advising that AXA were not taking on any new business for pet insurance and were looking for an underwriter to take over the existing business who would cover exsisting conditions.

Until that was done cover would continue with AXA. Any change over would happen at renewal after the new underwriter took over.

The very fact that you cannot get insurance for the same price as AXA offered explains why they have withdrawn from the business. They were too cheap.

They could have done what M & S did when they made the same mistake and raised their premiums by extortianate amounts.

I can currently get quotes from other compaies that are cheaper than I pay to AXA bit they do not offer the same ( cheap) excess or claim limit that Axa do and my dogs have pre - exisisting conditons noe of which are ongoing but any subsequent claim that can be related to them will be excluded.

Cover4Pets will continue to cover exisisting conditions but at what price? That we have to wait and see.

They have no track record to check for how much premiums rise each year and how good they are at paying out

Pet insurance policies are annual policies and each year renewal is offered on new premiums etc, just as other insurances such as car insurance premiums change each year.

This is covered in the policy wording.

The problem with pet insurance is that exisisting conditions are not transferable - apart from one company who will cover after two years free of recurrance- so switching companies is not so simple.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,631 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I have a 9 year old cat, no pre existing problems.
    I took out Argos Platinum insurance which is not only cheaper per month than Axa was but offers superior cover in some respects.
  • sheramber
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    I have a 9 year old cat, no pre existing problems.
    I took out Argos Platinum insurance which is not only cheaper per month than Axa was but offers superior cover in some respects.

Did a quote for my dog with Argos Platinum policy to get £7000 lifetime cover as with AXA.

I pay AXA £23 per month, Argos want £48 per month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport