We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

AXA pulling out of pet insurance

Options

Comments

• hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Just checking this because Diggs is up for renewal next month with AXA.

Ive stopped Ralphs M and S policy as it went up to £790 a year from about £250 the previous year. Admittedly we were claiming for his dry eye condition which is permanent but that only worked out £29 a month and then they took off the excess first so its well over the top .

Looks like all these companies are trying to get out of pet insurance doesnt it which leaves us in the poo. I can see an increase in the number of dogs PTS or abandoned because of these increases.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,631 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Mine would have gone from £11.42 to £14.00 per month had I stayed with Axa.
    My Cat is now 9. Never had such a big increase.
    I found this out because Axa never cancelled my policy as I instructed them to :mad:
    Letter of complaint with itemised phone bill showing the call being done this week!
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Anyone else had a letter?
    Got mine which says the policies will transfer to NCI Insurance

I've never heard of them
    http://www.ncionline.co.uk/our-business/pet-insurance/

Also says they'll transfer at renewal time which leaves people totally stuck deciding whether to switch now or wait - as we'll have no idea what the new premiums will be until then

Thanks Axa ..... oh and I have moved my house insurance away from you now & will never use any of your products again ...
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I've just received a letter from Axa stating that a company called NCI will be taking over all existing customers in future, they say that the company is a well established pet insurer which already looks after many customers and their pets across a number of brands. They also say that NCI will cover any ongoing conditions and all conditions which have previously been treated under the Axa policy. Has anyone heard of them and what companies they're the underwriters for.
    I've also just found this http://www.stockmarketwire.com/article/4831616/NCI-Vehicle-Rescue-acquires-AXAs-pet-insurance-book.html.
  • OnAndUp
    OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 June 2014 at 4:20PM
    Options
    Yes I have had the letter too - really peed off! :(

I was hoping that AXA were just going to plod along with all us current customers until the policies finished / people left!

Really annoys me as they know most of us probably have pets with existing conditions so what ever crap condtions NCI offer we may have no choice but to stick with them.....

I have never heard of NCI either!

Only renewed the policy a month ago too.

Again....God I hate pet insurance! :mad: :(
    "Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"
  • Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I renewed one policy in April, the other renewal is due next month and I'm scared stupid at how much it'll be, it appears that they only offer £4k or £12k for life time cover, I think this is them http://www.cover4pets.com
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    rising_from_the_ashes Posts: 12,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 18 June 2014 at 5:29PM
    Options
    I can't find any info on their own policies (ie NCI policy underwritten by NCI the same as Axa is) - I can only find them being the underwriter for other companies (many, many of them!)

ETA - they do not currently offer their own insurance (like Axa above) they are only an under-writer. There are no details of the T&Cs or the levels of cover etc yet

They might not even take older pets (some insurers start excluding certain breeds at I believe 5 years upwards) ... they may well offer different £ limits (when JL changed underwriter, their limits were totally different) ... they may charge a % + excess when the pet gets to a certain age (which Axa don't & was one of the best things about their policies)
  • Reeves
    Reeves Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I come home tonight to this letter as well. Sounds like they are carpet bombing everyone.

I searched for this on MSE to see if I was the first to hear about this to find this has been known about for nearly a year! I also picked AXA after carefully researching to avoid this happening. We have had our 3 yr old Westie insured just over 2 years now. The first year was £14 a month and on renewal had risen by about a pound after a claim free first year. In the second year our dog developed skin issues and blood tests were done for allergies and we agreed to a course of inimotherapy. The renewal this year in April had risen nearly 50% to £22.00 a month but should I have been surprised?

It sounds now like my premium would have risen anyway to make the customer base more attractive to the potential suitors taking over.

Is it right I have not been told when the policy renewed in April (or before)?

I am definitely worried NCI will over much less favourable renewal costs and conditions to drive out the loss making existing customers.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Axa have been trying to find somebody to take over their pet insurance since they withdrew from the market last August.

NCL took over Axa's pet insurance business on 14 /6/2014.

Their pet insurance business is Cover4Pets which is underwritten by ELITE insurance.

You can go onto Cover4Pets website for info of the terms and conditions which are different from Axa's.

Some things which Axa's covered they do not and the amount of cover is different.

You can do a quote to see what they would charge but that won't include any adjustment for existing conditions or previous claims.

Poicies will only transfer at renewal so you will still be coverd by Axa until you renew.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Sheramber - can I ask your source please as that's not what I was told by axa yesterday!

I really hope,its not them - just had a quick look and lifetime policies ppesr to be £4k and £12k / year - the middle £7k that axa have isn't there (personally feel £4k is too little and £12k too much & will likely be unaffordable anyway)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport