We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

AXA pulling out of pet insurance

Options

Comments

• skipsmum
    skipsmum Posts: 707 Forumite
    Options
    Mine are with axa and just up for renewal.
    sheltie, 18 months, going up 21p a month to £17.71 :)
    patterdale terrier, about 9, going up £7 a month to £32 :(
    I think its probably age related for her. Full no claims for both dogs.

Just to add, axa, nfu and petplan are the only companies our vet will deal with direct. All other companies we would have to pay the bill and then try and claim it back.
    With Sparkles! :happylove And Shiny Things!
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,631 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I've been dithering about changing to Argos for some time. Axa has shown real contempt for their customers in my view. With no previous claims and a clean bill of health from the Vet today (apart from a teeth clean which will need done next year- dental is excluded pretty much everywhere anyway) perhaps the time is right to switch.

Argos Platinum comes in slightly cheaper and cover is superior in some ways to Axa.

Axa renewal not due for a few months but looking on TCB and Quidco the cash back rates for a new policy are excellent currently.

Lily is 9 this year so wouldn't be surprised if Axa hiked it up on that basis!
  • yarly
    yarly Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To add to the statistics:

I just had my renewal notice from AXA and the premium has gone up from £232 to £307 per year for a 10-year-old JRT with no claims. Quite a jump (usually only went up by £10-20 in previous years), but considering her age I don't think I could find a cheaper policy for the same level of cover. Most insurers only seem to offer basic cover for older dogs if they take them on at all and Argos just quoted me £524 for their Platinum policy :eek: - only their very basic Silver would be cheaper than AXA at £269.
  • OnAndUp
    OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 April 2014 at 12:59PM
    Options
    Hi all! :)

I have had my girls renewal today so thought I would post it on here as I found it helpful to see others. ;)

5 year old Crossbreed with a Sensitive tum & Diagnosis of "Inflammatory Bowel Disease".

Last year it was £185.01 which I thought was pretty good really.

This year even though I have not claimed a penny since 2012 - £271.74. So an £86.73 or £7.22 a month increase I know others have had worse but it's still a hike of about 47% (I think?.. maths not my forte!!)

I have rang up and queried it only to be fobbed off with a load of excuses as to why it has gone up - which I expected! Told them I am going to look elsewhere. The thing is I know they couldn't care less and they probably want us all to leave! :(

I am going to look around but realise I probably won't get a better deal especially as she has an existing condition. :(

Any suggestions? I know Pet Plan are supposed to be the best but am I right in thinking that after 8 you pay 20-25% of claim as well as the excess?

God I hate pet insurance! The whole industry really....they have all us pet lovers over a barrel.

Thanks!
    "Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've moved my other to Co-Op. Downside is only £5000 of cover, but no % excess for him despote being 7. Underwritten by same people as Pet Plan, so the service is meant yo be as good apparently.
  • OnAndUp
    OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Krlyr will have a look at Co-op! ;)
    "Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"
  • KxMx
    Options
    Co-op as a business is very dicey at the moment though, wouldn't be surprised if it implodes soon.

Just my 2p.
  • KxMx
    Options
    My Axa pet insurance DD went out today, now listed as "BDML".
    Very surprised to have received no correspondence from Axa about this.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BDML has been AXA since at least 2010 as their name and address is on my quote emails from them. Correspondence and claim cheques have been in BDML's name since at least last year for me too
  • KxMx
    Options
    That's very helpful, thank you.

DD name always been "pet insurance" but for the first time this month "bdml".

I've taken out a new policy with Argos now anyway so will just wait the 10 days and then ditch Axa for good.

Argos has worked out £1 cheaper per month and superior cover in some ways.

This will be my third pet insurer since two have withdrawn I am hoping it'll be third time lucky!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport