We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

AXA pulling out of pet insurance

Options

Comments

• Kinski
    Kinski Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    OnAndUp wrote: »
    Lol!! How about NFU?!?!

After spending ages researching Pet Insurance, I was with them first excellent policy year 1 - year 2 doubled in Price for a 2 yr old dog no claims etc! :(

So I changed to AXA who I then (quite smugly lol!) thought where a fail-safe being an actual Insurance company who underwrite their own policy etc......scurries off eating her own words..... :rotfl:

Same here, I was with m&s and after a year they shoved their prices up, went with Axa cause they're the underwriters so must be a safe bet :rotfl:.
    Bromley86 I'm the same with houses for sale, we're hoping to sell our house this year and I've been looking at places ( on line only ) I fancy, some of them have been on the market for over a year, as soon as I think '' mmmm I like that place '' it sells, I'm thinking of hiring myself out to estate agents with hard to sell houses on their books.
  • Bromley86
    Bromley86 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Options
    Called up to see if I could increase the excess and what the effect would be. I wanted to increase it to something like £500, but the most they could go to was £125.

After tapping that into the system, the chap sounded rather embarrassed when he told me it only led to a £4.41 saving. "£4.41 a month?", I asked. Nope :) . So increasing the excess doesn't really affect the premium, at least in my case.
  • sistafromanothermista
    Options
    I've just had my renewal through and it's jumped by £6 pm :mad:
    Just had a look around and everyone else seems to be dearer with less cover so i think i'll stick with AXA for another year at least.
    Fingers crossed it doesn't go up too much next year....
    DEBT FREE AND PROUD:D
    'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt'
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Sista - what is the % rise for that?

£6 / month doesn't sound a lot (sorry) - with any insurer
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sista - what is the % rise for that?

£6 / month doesn't sound a lot (sorry) - with any insurer

I would be pretty happy with a £6 increase on mine!

sistafromanothermista, when does this year's policy expire? I haven't had my renewal documents through and couldn't remember how far in advance they arrived last year
  • krlyr
    Options
    To add to the statistics, as I know I found it helpful, my renewals came through today.

Kiki (7 year old crossbreed) went from £26 per month to £40
    Casper (7 year old GSD) from £33 to £50

Their policies increased by about £5 each last year, so it is a bigger jump this time around. However, I am more than happy with Kiki's given the amount of claims we've made in the past year. - at least £1200ish!

I will most likely still with AXA with Kiki, as it means her two existing conditions we've claimed for are covered (one is lifetime, one is hopefully sorted but could potentially flare up - but given that it's a leg-related claim, I would be hesitant to change anyway incase anything in that leg gets excluded). I'll shop around for Casper, with no claims I'm not forced to stay put, and even if I don't find anything particular cheaper, it may be a better bet to move away from AXA whilst there's no exclusions.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    krlyr it may be worth trying the Co-Op for a quote for Casper

I did the other day after someone recommended them & they've come out only just more expensive than Axa currently are for my lot :) (funnily enough the dog is cheaper & the cats more expensive!)

Underwriter is the same as PetPlan

I have no idea what to do ...... I wish Axa would at least tell us what the plans are :mad:
  • krlyr
    Options
    Co Op have come out significantly cheaper, £25 a month. I'm not sure if £5000 is enough cover though, considering that could be the cost of a hip replacement alone (then there's x-rays, consultations, etc. on top, and any checkup treatment). But I do like that they have a fairly generous complementary therapy cover (£1000ish I think) compared to AXA's limited £250.

The problem is, once I leave AXA, I couldn't go back. They're certainly the cheapest out of all the equivelant cover I've looked for so bad, everyone else is £65-75ish or more (highest so far is Argos Platinum at around £140 a month!).

So do I stick with the devil I know, and offset this year's "savings" (so £15 a month cheaper than the cheapest other policies) against a bigger jump next year (that jump could be more than £15 a month..but so could the competitor's prices).

Or gamble that £5000 is enough cover for him and use the savings to counteract the increases in Kiki's premium, which will inevitably keep rising but be more important for me to stick with to ensure she's covered for life (and to confuse matters, I've no idea of her estimated lifespan, being a cross between a breed with an average lifespan of 9 years and one that can live up to 13!)

Where's that crystal ball..
  • Bromley86
    Bromley86 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Options
    I was surprised by my Argos quote, as I thought they were meant to be good value. Either failing memory or another M&S bait-and-switch.

Without wanting to worry those that have pet insurance with the Co-op, there has been a fair amount of bad news concerning them recently. When the CEO quits because an organisation is ungovernable, you have to ask if you want to enter into a long-term arrangement with them.

Have you tried MoreThan? Worked for me, although the 20% discount for 2 pets won't apply to you because of Kiki.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Bromley86 wrote: »
    Without wanting to worry those that have pet insurance with the Co-op, there has been a fair amount of bad news concerning them recently. When the CEO quits because an organisation is ungovernable, you have to ask if you want to enter into a long-term arrangement with them.

This is actually the main reason I haven't moved them:(

I think £5k is enough for my lot - Maisie has luckily got fantastic hips etc and not sure I'd put any of them through anything very 'difficult' iykwim due to their ages anyway

It does worry me that I might do so and end up in the same situation in a few months time - as has been said, once we move from axa we can't go back

I have recently cancelled a few bits (window cleaner as Maisie gets really stressed when they come if I'm not in:(), couple of small insurances I don't really need etc but its added up to £25 / month - that's been put away

I know its not a lot - and would be a lot more if I could bring myself to cancell all their policies & take basic accident / injury ones & put that difference away too ..... I'm just not quite there in my head that's the way forward yet:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport