We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

AXA pulling out of pet insurance

Options

Comments

• krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry, my previous post was quite short and to the point as I was on my phone. Someone queried it the other day so I'd searched my emails and noticed - I knew the cheques were coming in from BDML but I was quite interested to see it had been on the emails all along. They'd sent me a claim form at some point last year too which had come from a BDML email address, presumably now was just the point they chose to change the wording on the DDs.

Fingers crossed for you!
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Had my renewal through and it's only £1 a month more expensive.
  • OnAndUp
    OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 May 2014 at 9:05PM
    Options
    lee111s wrote: »
    Had my renewal through and it's only £1 a month more expensive.

That's very good!:D

Do you want to swap dogs!?!? ;) :rotfl:

Mine has gone up by £7.25 per month! :(
    "Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"
  • marles
    marles Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    A couple of years ago we had NIG pull out of pet insurance. We took it to the financial ombudsman and won our case. We signed up with AXA feeling relieved that we were back on track and covered. Having four Saint Bernards and knowing their medical problems we went for the best lifetime policy we could afford. The premiums started out at £27 and increased to £33 which we thought was acceptable due to claims for them. However, we have just had our new policy come through and it is £175 per month - a 388% increase!!!! There is no way if the other three Saints policies go up can we afford £700 per month. We also can not afford the drugs and veterinary care that our two year old girl needs for the rest of her life. I can't believe insurance companies can do this. I used to work for a bank and the Ombudsman would have had them over the coals for this kind of treatment. Shame on these companies taking people hard earned money who care enough to insure their dogs for "Life" only to price them right out of insurance completely. SHAME on you AXA!! We are relatively financially sound but what about the poor pensioner or people who scrape insurance together for their beloved pet? :mad:
  • OnAndUp
    Options
    marles wrote: »
    A couple of years ago we had NIG pull out of pet insurance. We took it to the financial ombudsman and won our case. We signed up with AXA feeling relieved that we were back on track and covered. Having four Saint Bernards and knowing their medical problems we went for the best lifetime policy we could afford. The premiums started out at £27 and increased to £33 which we thought was acceptable due to claims for them. However, we have just had our new policy come through and it is £175 per month - a 388% increase!!!! There is no way if the other three Saints policies go up can we afford £700 per month. We also can not afford the drugs and veterinary care that our two year old girl needs for the rest of her life. I can't believe insurance companies can do this. I used to work for a bank and the Ombudsman would have had them over the coals for this kind of treatment. Shame on these companies taking people hard earned money who care enough to insure their dogs for "Life" only to price them right out of insurance completely. SHAME on you AXA!! We are relatively financially sound but what about the poor pensioner or people who scrape insurance together for their beloved pet? :mad:

It's so unfair isn't it! :( :mad:
  • OnAndUp
    edited 16 May 2014 at 9:27PM
    Options
    Just done a Petplan quote as follows:

Covered for life Classic -

£4000 a year £250.68 - I don't personally think this is enough cover?

£7000 a year £278.04 same level as AXA! but their Renewal is £271.74

Am I right in thinking Petplan also make you pay 20% + Excess over 8 years old?

Also tried Argos online without declaring her medical condition just to get an idea and it was £290.67 for their Platinum £7000 cover so it's looking like we will be staying with AXA!
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have Zara and Gorge with Argos (Platinum) and claimed quite a lot for both over the years as both had surgeries - Argos never questioned the claims and paid out fast.

Zara's [premium is now 129 per MONTH (GS dog and George (cat) is 24 per MONTH.

But I would never be without insurance, my total now is over £300.00 per month (5 cats with PetPlan plus 1 dog and one cat with Argos Platinum - all insured for 7k per year for life)
  • OnAndUp
    edited 16 May 2014 at 9:42PM
    Options
    I have Zara and Gorge with Argos (Platinum) and claimed quite a lot for both over the years as both had surgeries - Argos never questioned the claims and paid out fast.

Zara's [premium is now 129 per MONTH (GS dog and George (cat) is 24 per MONTH.

But I would never be without insurance, my total now is over £300.00 per month (5 cats with PetPlan plus 1 dog and one cat with Argos Platinum - all insured for 7k per year for life)

OMG gettingready @ Zara's premium :eek:

Although I do remember you got her "bionically fixed!!" How is she now? :D
  • OnAndUp
    Options
    I also tried Animal Friends and theirs was £309!

So they are all dearer than the AXA renewal!! and I have to assume none of them would pay for her existing condition anyway, so it seems we really will be staying with AXA!! ;)

I really thought I would have been getting a better quote and leaving this time.....scurries off eating her words again......Flippin Pet Insurance always seems to Fox me no matter what! :( :eek: :rotfl:
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Zara is not as she could be/should be BUT much better than she would be without the THR so.....

Her insurance with Argos started at some 22 per month over 7 years ago (sh is almost 8 now) so keep the hikes in mind...

Stay clear of AnimalFriends though - great reviews from people signing up BUT very bad reviews from people who tried to actually claim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport