PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Homemade hobnobs?

Options

Comments

• twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    :o

Daughter and her friend have just arrived home and devoured 2 each and already put in a request to please make these again mum :D

you've started something now then, best get a supply of porage oats in :D
  • Scarlett.1974
    Scarlett.1974 Posts: 2,765 Forumite
    Options
    twink wrote: »
    you've started something now then, best get a supply of porage oats in :D

Bought a huge bag this morning from Tesco..... at least enough left for another 4 rounds :D

<munches hob-nob>

<bursts out of jeans> :rolleyes:
    You can't control everything in life....... your hair was put on your head to remind you of that :p

Proud to be BSC no. 103
  • nuttywoman
    nuttywoman Posts: 2,203 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Last week i gave my sister a dozen of my hobnobs - they loved them, her son commented on them when he saw me, then last night another sister & hubby came round, i made them a brew and offered them a hobnob - they both ate FOUR each !
    I`m making another batch tomorrow but i`d better hide them,lol
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    the shops will be running out of porridge oats soon :D
  • billieboy_2
    Options
    I know I'm gong to get slated for bumping this thread:D but I had my first near disaster with these. I didn't re-read the recipe and put the sugar in with the butter. It made the mixture really sticky and though I added more oats I couldn't roll it - it kept sticking to my hands so ended up dolloping it on the baking tray. I'm sure they'll taste okay though.
  • Soapy955
    Options
    I've made two batches of these now. The first batch I didn't squash enough with the fork and made them a bit small so they were a bit weird looking but they tasted great. The second batch I flattened and made bigger. It made seven less biscuits but they were just like the real thing.... so delicious!! If you haven't tried them, go and make a batch now!!

By the way, I used soft brown sugar and they taste so rich and delicious, not sure if it makes a difference but they are really nice with brown sugar in them!
    I'm so sorry if you were enjoying this thread and mine is the last post!!

I seem to have a nasty habit of killing threads!
    :p
  • elle_gee
    elle_gee Posts: 8,584 Forumite
    Options
    I appreciate this may be a very silly question and not something that many of you can answer, but...

How long do these legendary bikkies keep for? (note I didn't use the word "last" as they don't seem to last long in anyone's house! :P)

If I made some on say Thursday evening and kept them in an airtight box, will they still be at their best on Saturday morning? I could make them on the Friday morning at a push; would that be better?

Many thanks all :)
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    Not tried it but here is a recipe for chocolate hobnobs (looks delish in the picture), not sure about the coconut though, maybe you could replace it with more oats...

hobnobs.jpg
    http://londonfoodieny.wordpress.com/2007/01/08/football-or-foodballa-great-american-tradition/
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Soapy955
    Options
    elle_gee wrote: »
    I appreciate this may be a very silly question and not something that many of you can answer, but...

How long do these legendary bikkies keep for? (note I didn't use the word "last" as they don't seem to last long in anyone's house! :P)

If I made some on say Thursday evening and kept them in an airtight box, will they still be at their best on Saturday morning? I could make them on the Friday morning at a push; would that be better?

Many thanks all :)

I think they would be even better after a couple of days as they go crispier and more biscuit like. They are still a bit chewy when you first make them.
    I'm so sorry if you were enjoying this thread and mine is the last post!!

I seem to have a nasty habit of killing threads!
    :p
  • glitterkitty
    Options
    I just joined these forums today and found loads of people talking about these hobnobs, so i searched and found this thread! I can't wait to make these! They sound (and look) incredible! and even though my OH is fussy, he'll love these too! along with mars bar crispy cakes lol
    the only debt left now is on credit cards! The evil loan has gone!! :j:j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport