Recycle Old Mobiles: No-hassle way to maximise the cash Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• MPwannasavemoney
    Options
    cazgordo wrote: »
    I sent 2 phones to mobile2cash which never arrived. £60 out of pocket.

I sent one to envirofone - very impressed - quick service and they kept me updated all along the way. I would definitely recommend them.

I used envirofone and was impressed until they told me upon testing that the phone had a 'software fault' and reduced the price they offered me by 30%! Well a software fault doesn't develop with use - it was manufactured like that - all that was wrong was the software needed updating.

So if trading your phone in make sure the software is upto date!
  • ioscorpio
    ioscorpio Posts: 2,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I sold a Nokia 6310i to MobilePhoneBuyer for £18, this was the best price I could find, the process was easy and the money was paid direct into my bank with no problems.

http://www.mobilephonebuyer.net/add_mobile.php?mobile_id=247
  • GrahamW
    GrahamW Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    I am still waiting for payment or any confirmation of receipt from mobileforcash.com. Have emailed them again this morning. It's been over a month now.I sent the items Special Delivery.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Then you are covered. You can prove delivery and send a LBA to them - or if no proof of delivery put a claim in to Royal Mail. I'd prefer suing the company to trying to get money I'm entitled to out of Royal Mail though!
  • clareno7
    Options
    Hi

I've not posted on here before but having just signed up to a contract with Virgin media, I thought I should tell you that their recycling service seems like GVFM.

Pound for pound they are giving me twice as much air time back when I recycle my old phone (I don't think cash is an option).

If you're already a Virgin Media customer, the mobile phone add-on is excellent VFM anyway, plus I'll get my phone account credited by £20.50. Not as good as cash and you have to sign up to their contract but we can't have it all.

Hope this is helpful

Clare
  • BECD_2
    BECD_2 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    :j RESPONSE FROM MOPAY

My original post warned not to use Mopay as I had not received a cheque. Following my message on the forum - Mopay have been in contact and have sorted this out. Although it took a while, I now have the cheque, arrived this morning by recorded delivery. I believe this to be a genuine error and the customer service I have now experienced makes up for the delay.

Thanks Mopay!
  • Mr._Mopay_2
    Options
    BECD wrote: »
    NO RESPONE FROM MOPAY

Stumbled across this thread and thought I would add a warning as sent phone to Mopay and had nothing back although they have stated they sent a cheque and a replacement. Nothing ever received - £50 out of pocket and now they wont even return my emails.

Hi there BECD,

I sent you a PM with my direct email address and land line number so we can talk about the issues you have experienced.

If you could please contact me with you Order number and verification of your home address I can look into the missing payment issue and organise an insured/signed for delivery service to send you another cheque.

Cheers,
    Mr. Mopay

turning your unwanted mobiles into cash!
  • TamS_3
    TamS_3 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have also had a bad experience with Cex. Their price for my old phone (Samsung D600) was almost (or sometimes more than) double the prices offered on other sites, so I thought even though I'd have to pay for postage it would be worth it. Sent off my phone as Grade A, thought the worst that would happen is it would be downgraded - still a higher price than other sites. A while later I received it back in the post with no letter or other form of explanation, I checked the order tracking on the website, comes up with no active orders but one completed order - "Order Complete. Any payments or returns have been dispatched." - the one they returned to me. Have no clue why it was returned.. I specifically chose the option for them to contact me before proceeding regarding returning failed goods yet I have never been contacted by them. The phone was in good working order although not perfect condition, so should definitely have passed at least Grade C if not Grade B.

Having now read other reviews about them on here I wish I'd never chose them as my money spent on P&P has been wasted, and I figure even if I try to chase it up it is unlikely I would get money back and I would have to pay again to send the phone off even if they confirm they will accept it. Now will try another recommended site.. Mopay or Mazuma offer the best prices for my phone. Be careful anyone wishing to use Cex.
  • redhaze_2
    Options
    Have to agree with Tams - AVOID USING CEX. I sent off 7 mobile phones on Wednesday, exactly how Cex had asked for - fully charged each phone, individually wrapped in polythene bags to avoid damage in post & labelled the bags, put them inside a box, wrapped the box with brown paper, marked with the Order Number and sent by Special Delivery which cost me £8.64. As the phones were slightly scratched I had classed them as B grade or C grades, and had asked for an exchange voucher (total value should have been £91.00 if all accepted) as there was a Sony phone I wanted for my son. I checked my account last night and was gob-smacked that they had only accepted 2 phones out of the 7 and the other 5 were being returned as badly scratched or no charger! In fact one phone had a car charger and as the site didnt state it wanted only indoor chargers, and many drivers use car chargers anyway, I thought this would be OK. I then noticed that they had down graded one of the phones to a C grade - I had sent 2 Nokia 3310's - one was most definately a B grade as my mum had hardly used this phone as she could never remember how to turn it on! - and the other a C grade as it had a few scratches and no charger - they had taken the B grade phone and charger and yet only credited me for a C grade!!! I know it is only £3.00 difference, but it is the principal!!! I immediately sent them an email asking why they had done this and why they were returning so many phones as badly scratched - the website states in their FAQ 'Some of my goods don’t look too good. Will you still buy them? We will buy your goods as long as they work as intended; in extreme cases we may reject badly damaged goods'
    Their grading of phones B and C states:
    Grade B - Working phone in good condition with slight cosmetic blemishes. Charger supplied. Missing one accessory or original box.
    Grade C - Working phone in poor cosmetic condition. Charger supplied but missing more than one accessory and original box.

I had only sent them to CeX as C grades (apart for the above Nokia B grade) as they all did have some scratches on the phones (they are after all second hand and used!) but they most certainly were not 'badly damaged goods'. If they just didnt want them as they were too old or had too many of the same phone - they should have said this rather than state something they are not!!

To add insult to injury - I today received the 5 phones back, in a jiffy bag, inside was one of my plastic bags and all phones were just thrown in together, WITH THE CHARGERS PLUGGED INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE PHONES!!! These are now most certainly badly damaged goods!!!!

And more misery - I also received a voucher for £23.00 - which after taking off the cost of my postage of £8.64 gives me a wopping £14.36 profit - and I now find out that not only is the phone that I wanted to exchange for now no longer available on-line I cannot use the exchange voucher until I have made a credit card payment with them first!! Where does the idea of EXCHANGE come into this???

I have advised them in my email that their site is very misleading and accounts to gross misconduct and that I shall be reporting this to the Trading Standards Board to look into, and unless I received a valid explanation by today (Saturday 21st June), I will also be posting on the internet the disgraceful service that I have received. They didnt reply so I am posting it!!! icon13.gificon13.gificon13.gificon13.gif
  • ioscorpio
    ioscorpio Posts: 2,360 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    With CEX you are better off going to instore to do the deal, then if you don't like what they are offering you can walk away, which is what I did with one of my phones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure