Recycle Old Mobiles: No-hassle way to maximise the cash Discussion Area

Comments

• ianonline
    ianonline Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Pickle_123 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm about to send my phone off but I'm sure if I should put the charger in with the phone. Its fully charged but its not clear on the sites whether they want the charger as well.
    erm, I assume you mean you're NOT sure if you should include the charger.;)

What do you mean by "the sites" - are you talking about one site in particular, or just in general? Either way, I'd say most sites should specify exactly what you need to send. If they do accept the phone without the charger, they may downgrade the condition (ie due to "missing accessories") although some sites state that you don't need to send the charger and they won't pay you any extra if you do - ie you need to check the T&Cs to be certain.

Ian :cool:
  • Ha I was paying attention when I was typing! I'm using Mopay and its not fantastically clear. I'm going to send the charger off with it just to be sure.
  • gtz101
    gtz101 Posts: 593 Forumite
    why recycle when you can sell it on fleebay? Far more effective then recycling.
  • ianonline
    ianonline Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Pickle_123 wrote: »
    Ha I was paying attention when I was typing! I'm using Mopay and its not fantastically clear. I'm going to send the charger off with it just to be sure.
    .... or maybe you WEREN'T paying attention.:think:

Looks like you don't need to send the charger in to mopay as you won't get any more for the phone (but they will recycle it for you if you just want to get rid). ;)
    Per mopay FAQs:
    Do I need to send my chargers and accessories in?
    No, all we require are the handsets and batteries. Accessories will not add value to your order and will be recycled according to the WEEE Directive and our internal ISO standards.
    http://www.mopay.co.uk/more_info.asp?current_id=96

Ian :cool:
  • I took a Nokia 6230, Nokia 6230i and a Sony Ericcson K800i down to the www.cex.co.uk store.

They offered me £30 cash for the 6230i (which I accepted) and £30 for the K800i (which I decided to keep). The case of the 6230 was in bad condition so they said they might be able to take it for £21 but when the manager saw the it he said they wouldn't pay anything for it!

TOP TIP - passing a market stall I noticed mobile cases for £5. A quick change of case and back to cex resulted in an offer of £30. The condition of the case makes such a difference this might be worth considering for others.
  • I've been holding on to my K750i in case anything should happen to my new S500i. Unfortunately I've had to send my S500i off for repair but I've just found the K750i is locked on Orange so I can't use it with my O2 SIM. Anyway, blah blah, the upshot being I'm now ready to recycle.

Anyone found a good deal for a K750i lately? I've read the article and all Martin's recs are much of a muchness, £22-ish. Envirophone and Mazuma both offer Quidco cashback (not much, granted). Tesco are offering £15 plus 300 points (£12 in Deals) which is looking like my best bet.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks guys.
  • Keep the phone. It's well worth sacrificing the money. You should be able to get it unlocked for £5-10.
  • Im disgusted with Mopay, i sent my nokia which was an unused spare we had at work so it was brand new and sent it off as they appeared to offer the most for it, however they paid only half as they said it wasnt working, didnt bother to contact me to tell me this, i charged it a small bit before sending to see if it did work and it did, couldnt see the point of charging it loads if going to recycle but they say it doesnt work, they havent bothered to repy to my email SO wont be using them again.
    I did use Envirofone before and was impressed, and with the recommend a friend fiver that works out really well sometimes, but this one offered more so thought id try it, big mistake.
    Nectar also offers points for phone recycling, although doesnt have the range that some of the others do.
  • Hi there CatStar,

We pride ourselves on excellent customer service and always reply to all email correspondence within 24 hours, so i was very surprised to read how unhappy you were with our service.

I have sent you a PM; Could you please contact me and i will get our customer services manager to look into these issues for you.

thanks in advance,
    Mr. Mopay

turning your unwanted mobiles into cash!
  • Hi all....

I don't normally use forums but I had to say if you're thinking of recycling your mobile for cash DON'T use Cex.

They've had my old mobile for over a month now and i haven't received any payment from them and judging by other posts I'm not the only one. I've rung them twice and sent two emails to which i've had no reply. The last time I rang there was, conveniently, no-one there who dealt with online orders and they said to ring back later.

I won't be using Cex again and my only regret is that i didn't look at these posts first.

:cry: :mad: :cry:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport