Recycle Old Mobiles: No-hassle way to maximise the cash Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Adzha
    Adzha Posts: 2,192 Forumite
    Options
    I sent my phone to CEX the other day, and RM online confirmed they got it yesterday, yet my order is still showing awaiting delivery.
    Do they normally take a while to update this?
  • benbranson
    Options
    Can't remember exactly what happened when I traded with them but it all went smoothly; so I wouldn't worry too much!
    Any opinions are my own and are offered as advice only and not fact.
  • Adzha
    Options
    I phoned a few days after and they said the tester was off ill, and next day it was showing as tested, but like I was expecting they downgraded to a C, paying me £6 less. I'm waiting for the cheque now.
  • genfink
    genfink Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Just to let you know, although envirofone may not give the best prices at first glance, if you go through quidco you get £3.60 cashback the first time you send a phone in and then £1.49 for each one afterwards, it made it more worthwhile for me to do that than to sell to Mopay which was offering the best prices on my sad old Nokia 5210.
    Having said that, I haven't got the cashback yet.....
    unless it involves the 4 horsemen I'm sure it's not the end of the world....
  • Adzha
    Options
    CEX have been awful for me :(
  • acc
    acc Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Adzha wrote: »
    I phoned a few days after and they said the tester was off ill, and next day it was showing as tested, but like I was expecting they downgraded to a C, paying me £6 less. I'm waiting for the cheque now.
    I have also found that Cex took ages to pay up for a mobile sold to them on the website and sent in through the post.

Nothing happens for weeks, and when they are chased up several times on the phone, their tester happens to be off until the following week.

A couple of weeks later, payment is made, but a brand new phone on which no calls or texts have been sent or received (a Nokia 1112 bought for the Virgin 200 mins pack) and sold on the day of purchase with a fully charged battery is downgraded from grade A to grade C!

When I complained, they sent me a cheque to make up the payment to grade B (as goodwill!)

I suggest you take great care before dealing with Cex!

If possible, take the phone to one of their shops, so that you can decide not to sell if the price offered is unfair.

However going to one of their shops may turn out to be a waste of time if the shop is not offering cash, but just offers a credit note.
  • Magenta
    Magenta Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, sorry if it isn't. Does anybody know if there is somewhere I can send or take my "old" mobile phone to and maybe get a few pennies for it? It is in perfect working order. Thanks to all.

Sorry I have just seen that there is a thread about this!! So I have the answer to my question. Has anybody sent their old phones to one of the places mentioned in the article?

The phone I have is an Ericsson T10s, is this a too old a model to get some money back from?
    :smileyheaMagenta
  • Magenta
    Magenta Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks ringo for your reply. In fact I had just found this article myself!! and have now added a question to my original post asking if the model I have, Ericsson T10s, would be acceptable. Thanks again.
    :smileyheaMagenta
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's not just old, that's antique :)http://www.gsmarena.com/ericsson_t10s-115.php

I think you'd be very lucky to get anything for it, it is rather old
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport