Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

Daydream thread... without the rose-tinted specs - Page 934

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Daydream thread... without the rose-tinted specs

edited 16 June 2013 at 6:15AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
9.4K replies 366.3K views

Replies

• lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I replied but it didn't post it.

Here miss.

I'm about but not keeping up well. Short term med change because the pharmacists whole salers have failed to procure mine this month so I'm taking an alternative and they aren't suiting brilliantly. :). I'll live just fine, and not complaining, just not doing as much as my normal not much standard.
  • ferretkeeperferretkeeper Forumite
    297 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    We bought a log splitter at the weekend, been playing today :D

How satisfying to see a pile of firewood instead of chunks of tree but also very achey and am covered in scratches, bruises and sap :o

We also had to buy a mattress at the weekend, it had got to the point where we were literally tossing and turning all night and absolutely shattered and in complete agony in the mornings :( �� And having spent a lot on the previous all singing and dancing mattress about 5 years ago we expected it to last better, oh well.

This time we have gone for a cheaper all foam one, and after one night it was a noticeably better sleep, two nights brilll, thank god! we tried a local bed place but there was a two-three week wait so raced down the M4 to trusty old Ikea, job done and saved money too...on the mattress at least, naturally we spent the difference in the rest of the store :rotfl:
  • alfie_1alfie_1 Forumite
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We bought a log splitter at the weekend, been playing today :D

How satisfying to see a pile of firewood instead of chunks of tree but also very achey and am covered in scratches, bruises and sap :o

We also had to buy a mattress at the weekend, it had got to the point where we were literally tossing and turning all night and absolutely shattered and in complete agony in the mornings :( �� And having spent a lot on the previous all singing and dancing mattress about 5 years ago we expected it to last better, oh well.

This time we have gone for a cheaper all foam one, and after one night it was a noticeably better sleep, two nights brilll, thank god! we tried a local bed place but there was a two-three week wait so raced down the M4 to trusty old Ikea, job done and saved money too...on the mattress at least, naturally we spent the difference in the rest of the store :rotfl:
    do you split to store it to season better ? im guessing its pine ? [you mentioned sap] i used to season for a year minimum after my chimney caught fire...:o
  • RummerRummer Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

Do the Ikea mattresses fit standard size double beds? Someone once mentioned that their mattresses fitted only their beds? The reason I ask is because we are in need of a new mattress and looking for recommendations :)

Sorry to hear you are not at your best LIR

Dave How is the chicken?

I spent the whole day rushing about working incredibly hard and I am ready for a cup of hot chocolate, bath and bed with a good book ;)
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Rummer, I got a mattress from here http://www.factory-beds-direct.co.uk/

Excellent customer service with your money back if you are not happy. Even if you don't buy from them lots of useful info about mattresses.
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    33.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm here too, much relieved to see the big beam safely installed on its mounting blocks. :D

Otherwise, it was a bitty day, not helped by a nurse misplacing my veins and needing a few goes to get a blood sample...Never had that problem before. :(

The chicken is still with us. :) She isn't seeing very well, but she's had lots of tomato and cucumber today and seems perkier, thanks.
    Patron to The Warning
    Things are more like they are today than they ever were.

• COOLTRIKERCHICKCOOLTRIKERCHICK Forumite
    10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    morning all,

Davesnave, glad you got your big thing in at last.. not nice going for a blood test at the best of times.. hope your arm isn't too sore today..

Well things have settled down a bit at the ranch...maybe the calm before the storm, who knows.. I haven't posted anymore pics of the piglins.. but now that they are coming on. I might take some pics over the next few days to show you..

Carpenter cant come for another 3 weeks, so might see if I can get a quote from someone else, and see if they can do it sooner.. it was arrange in the middle of August he would be here at the end of September..... aghh, we need this work done, before we can carry on with other things in that part of the house..

LIR.. glad you posted, I said to Alfie in a PM I was worried you had been quiet..just need Choille to say a quick Hello now..
    Work to live= not live to work
  • alfie_1alfie_1 Forumite
    5.8K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    morning all... we had thick fog with drizzle rain until NOW.... the sun is out, the wet is evaporating so the "mist" is going UP now...:D glad the chook is still with you dave, they do tend to leave us on edge when they do this ...:( 50/50 but heres hoping the treats "do it"..:) LIR... you know you only have to ask if you need help if you get behind with anything :D CTC... heres hoping mummy and piglins are on the up and pat on the back to you two for getting the vet in ,. too many people arent prepared to do that and just let them suffer. you couldnt do more for them then you have :A :T... right im off to my mums , she's getting her wrist alarm system put in this morning. then off to work........ have a good day y'all :D
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    33.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Davesnave, glad you got your big thing in at last.. not nice going for a blood test at the best of times.. hope your arm isn't too sore today...

Not commenting on my big thing ( :p ) but a phone call this morning says the blood test was good news :), so we'll let nurse off, even though my arm is a bit tender.

Got another biomass heating co here at present doing a survey. They seem to know their stuff. Couldn't trip them up with my trick questions anyway! They've been doing commercial for 5 years now, so they have a good background, unlike the last guy, who'd only started this year.

Hen looks a bit perkier. Glad your piglins are no longer such a concern. :A

The carpenter sounds like many of these small business guys: scared to turn down work, but unable to deliver on the jobs he's committed to. Mr Rod's the same. :(
    Patron to The Warning
    Things are more like they are today than they ever were.

• ferretkeeperferretkeeper Forumite
    297 posts
    100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Morning!

Glad animals and peeps are ok today. Despite a quick bath last night (interrupted by takeaway arriving :D) I'm still achey so will do some less physical stuff today, the trees can wait!

Yes Alfie it is all conifery stuff, larch I think. we are splitting it now so it will season quicker than in big chunks but also because some bits were so big I couldn't move them, so DH has got the big'uns into bits I can lift and split, and it's all going under our illegal lean to roofs to dry some more.

It has been here a good few weeks in the lovely dry weather but it's still very wet, some was too wet for the log splitter, so we will revisit the wood pile in a couple of months...can't complain though it was all free :D

Rummer I don't know when it changed but ikea mattresses are all available in standard UK sizes now as are their beds and bedding I think. There was lots of choice, with a firm and medium firm option for several models. We're really pleased with ours, and if it doesn't last forever so be it, I never expected to get a good mattress for £200.

One thing is their mattresses seem to mostly come rolled up for ease of handling but it means you need to unroll it and let it unsquish for 72 hours - we couldn't wait but it was still comfy.

What is it with people not doing work when they say they will :mad: I understand wanting to keep busy but if they keep messing people about they ultimately lose work, no?

A local bloke promised to cut my friends fields ages ago, he kept not showing up, eventually they said they had someone else lined up and sure enough he turned up that night! We're convinced he only does these little odd jobs to have a nosey, see what we're up to at our places! :rotfl:

Better stop skiving or I'll still be working when the rain starts later!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support