MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

Options

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I wish i had come here first as i have been with O2 bb for years and decided to ring Sky on the 30th as Funfi above to see what they would offer. i wanted bb and ll and was offered £15.40 for ll and free bb thus double what everyone else seems to have been offered.

My first phone call via the O2 0800 number came up with a similar deal. I had been enquiring when my switch would be and was told it was to be £5pm for BB alone with no contract. If I wanted to switch earlier it would be free BB and I would have to pay for Line Rental which was £15.40pm.

Didn't do anything at that time fortunately. Letter duly arrived and I then phoned to say I didn't want switched as I had free BB till end of February. That's when the offers arrived.

Ended up with £7.50 for BB, free Line Rental for a year plus £75 credit and a new router.

Have you accepted the deal? If only on the 30th November phone them back and say you want to cancel as you have read that others have been given free LL, £7.50 BB and £75 credit.
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been up and running since the 28th and so far no problems. Everything seems around the same speed. I have not changed my router/filter over from the old o2 but am wondering if I may get a better speed because the Sky router is more up to date ? I don't know. I would have thought I would have had to have a new password that Sky sent me but it seems not.

One thing I will say is the dialing tone has changed from a constant tone to a 2 tone sound. Is this normal ?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    If you use your sky router, then you will need to use its own password to get going.

You have nothing to lose giving it a try.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    hubb wrote: »
    One thing I will say is the dialing tone has changed from a constant tone to a 2 tone sound. Is this normal ?

I think you may have a voicemail see link here.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd originally intended keeping my line rental with BT, and just switching BB to Sky. After some deliberation though, I'm now thinking about switching my line rental to Sky too. So I'm after:

Line Rental
    Sky Talk Anytime UK
    Unlimited BB

From reading previous posts, it looks like the best deal I'm likely to get might be £12.50pm (= £7.50 + £5.00 [Anytime]), and £75 credit.

Has anybody gone for this specific combination, if so what deal were you offered?

Thanks
    Stompa
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oops, I have 2 important messages so glad I posted that.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    I'd originally intended keeping my line rental with BT, and just switching BB to Sky. After some deliberation though, I'm now thinking about switching my line rental to Sky too. So I'm after:

Line Rental
    Sky Talk Anytime UK
    Unlimited BB

From reading previous posts, it looks like the best deal I'm likely to get might be £12.50pm (= £7.50 + £5.00 [Anytime]), and £75 credit.

Has anybody gone for this specific combination, if so what deal were you offered?

Thanks
    A friend has 15pm (10+5) with 75 credit.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oops, I have 2 important messages so glad I posted that.

We thought we had a new dial tone, until family complained that they were wasting phone calls, as the system kicked in quite quickly (and can't be adjusted as is the case with an answering machine). I cancelled the service.
  • jem16
    Options
    I have not changed my router/filter over from the old o2 but am wondering if I may get a better speed because the Sky router is more up to date ?

The Sky router can provide a little extra speed but apparently only for those with a reasonable speed to begin with. I was on around 6.2mb with O2 and currently on around 6.2mb using my Sky router. DLM began on 27th November and although nothing has changed much since the 30th, it's still officially running.

Where the Sky router will be better is with WiFi as it's an "n" rated router as opposed to O2's "g" rated.
    I don't know. I would have thought I would have had to have a new password that Sky sent me but it seems not.

The Sky router, like the O2 router, has the details already in. You just have to connect it and on you go.
    Quentin wrote: »
    If you use your sky router, then you will need to use its own password to get going.

You don't need anything. You just need to unplug the O2 router and connect the Sky router.

However I would wait until after 10 days to allow DLM to complete otherwise you could mess up your connection and therefore speed.
  • jem16
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »

Line Rental
    Sky Talk Anytime UK
    Unlimited BB

Thanks

In the end I chose to stick to Weekend calls package at £7.50pm with a £75 credit. I was told that if I wanted Anytime UK, it was an extra £5pm which I could add or remove any time I wanted. I thought I'd see how I got on rather than commit to the extra £5pm.

At the moment, I am using my mobile during the week and at the moment for free using BT SmartTalk app linked to my parents' BT account as they have an anytime package. Best of both worlds. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure