MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

Options

Comments

• waqas
    waqas Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    just contacted Sky as my broadband will go up from FREE to £2.50 a month from Jan. I told them that I was offered a free 12 month contract in March this year and that it should be upheld till March 2014 but they said that it was a deal with o2 and that they don't have to honour it. Bull

Any way he said if I move now, he will give me 12 months free broadband as I am already with Sky for Landline and Talk package but will charge me £20p/m if I go for Fibre or £30 for the Pro option. Too much in my opinion.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The free 12 months that lots of us had was with O2. If you transfer to Sky you have to accept their offers or are free to go elsewhere. Some people have been promised that they can stay with O2 for longer (go to back of the migration queue ) but nothing is certain.

We were spoiled by O2 and are unlikely to find an equivalent.
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to confirm I got a very nice phone call from Sky to say they have listened to the tape and indeed they did promise to give me £75 credit. This will now give me 12 months LL and BB with free weekend and evening calls at £3.75 a month. They also update me at every stage via texts.

So far I cannot complain.::beer:
  • truckid
    Options
    Got through the specific team at sky that are dealing with O2 customer and I've been offered 2 deals:

Sky BB and landline for £7.50

Sky Fibre BB and landline for £20 a month and £75 credit.

However no mention of any deal for TV, others have mentioned getting Sky Entertainment + TV for free for a year. I'

Sky Fibre is a nice to have but not essential. Much rather have offer on TV. I did ask for free TV on the £20 offer, offered to forgo the £75 credit but they wouldn't budge. They said they only deal with BB and line rental - TV is beyond their department remit. Otherwise I factor in an addition £20 ish for TV.

What are the chance they will offer a better deal ?

Also was told that once I request the MAC code, theres 'no turning back' - I wont be able to then cancel the MAC/cancellation and ask for the one of the 2 offers. How true is that ?

As good as the above offers are, they dont include TV. After cashback, Virgin Media would cost me £30 for fibre BB, landline and TV. If theres no offer of a deal on TV, probably better off going to Virgin ?
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    truckid wrote: »
    Also was told that once I request the MAC code, theres 'no turning back' - I wont be able to then cancel the MAC/cancellation and ask for the one of the 2 offers. How true is that ?

Another Sky lie, that is why im leaving cannot believe a word they say, MAC code lasts 30 days if you do not use it you stay with them, email below from their team.

Hello ?????
    Here's your MAC key: ******************. You'll need to give this to your new broadband supplier, if you decide to leave. It expires on date: 20/12/2013.

If it expires and you still want to leave, call us and we'll get you a new one. If you'd like to stay, then you don't need to do a thing.

Don't forget our seven day notice period. As long as you wait seven days from the date you told us you wanted to leave, we won't charge you. If you're still in a contract though, we'll have to charge you for leaving it early.

If you're moving to Sky, please ignore this email

Best regards,

The Sky Home Communications Team

sanfly
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    truckid wrote: »

However no mention of any deal for TV, others have mentioned getting Sky Entertainment + TV for free for a year......

Go back and speak to someone else.

They do offer deals that include free TV.

(eg #562)
  • buzi
    buzi Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    The free 12 months that lots of us had was with O2. If you transfer to Sky you have to accept their offers or are free to go elsewhere. Some people have been promised that they can stay with O2 for longer (go to back of the migration queue ) but nothing is certain.

We were spoiled by O2 and are unlikely to find an equivalent.
    so true :T
  • buzi
    Options
    hubb wrote: »
    Just to confirm I got a very nice phone call from Sky to say they have listened to the tape and indeed they did promise to give me £75 credit. This will now give me 12 months LL and BB with free weekend and evening calls at £3.75 a month. They also update me at every stage via texts.

So far I cannot complain.::beer:
    sky dont do free weekend and evening calls, they only do free weekend calls or anytime calls for £5 per month
  • buzi
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Go back and speak to someone else.

They do offer deals that include free TV.

(eg #562)
    true and need to phone 0800 230 0202 to get this offer
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    buzi wrote: »
    sky dont do free weekend and evening calls, they only do free weekend calls or anytime calls for £5 per month

That offer of free evening and weekend calls is odd. Someone else, on this thread, mentioned being offered them, some time ago, so I enquired when agreeing to my contract and was told that there were errors in the booklet sent out (It offered evening calls free and said 0845 numbers were excluded on Anytime), the
    evenings and weekend package being no longer available.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure