MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

Comments

• Tried to renew with Sky a couple of weeks ago....best they could offer was £10 per month plus £5 per month supplement for not having Sky Talk.

I was told in no uncertain terms that no offers were available for me and absolutely no attempt was made to keep me as a customer.

Needless to say it was byebye Sky and I'm now a happy BT Broadband customer @ £5 per month with £70 cashback plus a £50 prepaid Mastercard so for 12 months at least they're actually paying me to have their broadband.

In 12 months time I will be looking for offers with Plusnet and in a further 12 months it maybe back to BT again on another offer.

Unfortunately it's got to the stage where customer loyalty now means absolutely nothing to these companies and you really need to be looking to change every year to get the best deal.
  • Matt17
    Matt17 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper

Needless to say it was byebye Sky and I'm now a happy BT Broadband customer @ £5 per month with £70 cashback plus a £50 prepaid Mastercard so for 12 months at least they're actually paying me to have their broadband.

In 12 months time I will be looking for offers with Plusnet and in a further 12 months it maybe back to BT again on another offer.

Unfortunately it's got to the stage where customer loyalty now means absolutely nothing to these companies and you really need to be looking to change every year to get the best deal.

Same here just what I was gonna post lol
  • andrewmp
    andrewmp Posts: 1,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've had free Family Pack since the move from O2.

Currently paying £7.20 line rental and £10 for unlimited fibre.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Tried to renew with Sky a couple of weeks ago....best they could offer was £10 per month plus £5 per month supplement for not having Sky Talk.

I was told in no uncertain terms that no offers were available for me and absolutely no attempt was made to keep me as a customer.

Your problem was that you had separate broadband and line providers.

Had you transferred your line to Sky, you would have had cheaper line rental than BT and probably free broadband.

I'm ex-O2 for over two years and, at present, have free broadband and line for £8.70 ,opting to pay £8 for the Anytime Plus calls package.
  • teddysmum wrote: »
    Your problem was that you had separate broadband and line providers.

Had you transferred your line to Sky, you would have had cheaper line rental than BT and probably free broadband.

I'm ex-O2 for over two years and, at present, have free broadband and line for £8.70 ,opting to pay £8 for the Anytime Plus calls package.

It's not a problem for me as there are plenty of other fish in the sea who do want my money.

I had something called SkyTalk Freetime years ago when it first launched but only took it to get a deal on a Sky+ box at the time but due to the pricing of some of their calls (at the time I found call costs were far more expensive than BT) and they then blocked access to the use of 1280 for cheap calls shortly followed by the threat of forced transfer onto Sky's own SVBN network at the time meaning at that time there was no guarantee you could keep your number if ever you moved to another provider so I took my calls back to BT at the first opportunity.

Not that other providers are any different these days but over time I have found Sky to be devious, underhanded and untrustworthy in the way they operate and continually move the goal posts to suit themselves.

I've no intention of ever moving my line rental & calls to Sky and am quite happy where I am at the moment. I now have both broadband and calls with the same provider meaning it's now possible for me to negotiate future combined deals with other providers when the time comes.

Sky were given the opportunity to offer a reasonable deal this time like they had done in previous years but this time they just weren't interested in competing for my business at all so they got what they deserved. It's their loss not mine.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    As a broadband only customer, you would be low priority; hence no offer.
  • teddysmum wrote: »
    As a broadband only customer, you would be low priority; hence no offer.

...but I'm not a broadband only customer as I also have their TV with Sports which is why I'm mystified and bemused by their lack of any reasonable broadband offer (admittedly I'm currently getting a big discount off the TV package at the moment after being forced to play their ridiculous game of cancellation chicken to get an offer or I would have cancelled that too). :D
  • davehills
    davehills Posts: 404 Forumite
    Well, I used to be with O2 and more recenty Sky BB, and TV (Family pack)

Called up to see if there are any offers as my contract is coming to an end and they couldn't really do much of a deal so have told them to shove it. Took over an hour online before they'd accept my cancellation!

Now looking for another BB supplier, if anyone has any suggestions?

Also trying to find out which is best out of Youview, Freeview Play or Freesat Freetime?
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    They offered me £7.50 deal even though I have different line rental supplier (£10 fuel broadband).
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • I just rang to renew and they offered me £7.50 per month unlimited d/l and when I asked why it had gone up and was there anymore they could do they gave me a £15 credit, taking it down to £6.25 a month which I am fine with as saves me the hassle of looking around and having to sort out a new provider.

***I have my phone line with BT not Sky.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure