The Great 'granny In A Glovebox' Hunt

Options

Comments

• smallbus
    smallbus Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    On this site somewhere there is links to sites that unlock your phone for free.

You can unlock Nokias at http://www.mobileunlocker.co.uk

Its got the Nokia 1100 on it too.
  • tartanannie
    Options
    Smallbus how do you unlock an NEC e616 which was on 3? I tried my new free 02 sim and it would not work .Very happy to see the last of my 3 contract.Thanks.
  • LAINEY7571
    LAINEY7571 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    lipidicman wrote:
    Anyone recommend a cheap handset on vodafone (already have a sim but it might be worth buying with a new one and selling that SIM on) ? I have a 3330 and want something similar (my battery is dead and it minimum £20 for a Li-ion one). It must be new and from a reputable retailer - preferably on the high street.

You will get a new battery off Ebay foir about £5
  • PennySaver_2
    Options
    Smallbus how do you unlock an NEC e616 which was on 3? I tried my new free 02 sim and it would not work .Very happy to see the last of my 3 contract.Thanks.

Sorry, you cannot unlock NEC phones in the same way as NOKIA's. They are one of the most difficult to unlock and not many shops do it because of low demand. I wouldnt recommend attempting to unlock the NEC yourself as it requires physically modifying the cable that came with the phone and then trusting software that you download for free from the internet! I too have an NEC and it is staying locked to 3 for now.

Beware - if you are going to take it to a mobile shop, check that their method of unlocking will not alter the IMEI number. Some solutions currently available for unlocking NEC's do this and apart from being illegal, this may render you phone unusable in the UK even though its unlocked!
  • villard
    villard Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco mobile sells SIMS for £2.99 and you can get texts for 5p and calls for 10p.
    You can keep your number.
    Have not tried it yet. Anyone has ?
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I unlocked all my old phones and then sold them using this

*** I have removed the url from this post as it involved downloading a zip file, thank you Board Guide***
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is the thread on MSE for unlocking Nokia phones

Can we keep the rest of this thread on topic for Granny please ;)
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    LAINEY7571 wrote:
    You will get a new battery off Ebay foir about £5

and how does this tie in with
    'It must be new and from a reputable retailer - preferably on the high street'

doh!

Yes, I could try to get one for £5 off of ebay. Or I could get one that has been used for a year, or nothing that could show up.

How about I put £5 on the next race and use the winnings to buy a battery? Do you feel lucky?
  • andykolo
    andykolo Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    my girlfriends phone is falling apart and refuses to get a new one because she wants to keep the same number i dont mind buying here one for her birthday and i have a few spare sims (virgin freebies) but have been told u get charged for keeping your number but moving payg networks is this true ???
    all views, comments and opinions are mine and i have the right to be wrong
  • muddyfox470
    muddyfox470 Posts: 589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, well this probably not going to help any of you, but this is from my past experience about 4 months ago. Well Carphone Warehouse (their online shop) was having a clearout of Motorola and other phones, they had a cute small little monochrome motorola, basic everything, but it was only £9.99 inc postage and i think £10 free credit on Fresh, but this could have been £5.

Anyway with CPW they offer you cash back, if you send them an old phone. Well the sent me an empty envelope to send my phone, i chose an old phone about 5 years old, that didnt even work, and this was the bare phone alone. So sent it back FREEPOST, and a few weeks later we got a cheque for £10, yes £10, so they infact paid us 1p for the new phone we had, AND for the postage, with a free sim and everything.

I am well chuffed for the price, and the cute little, fully boxed brand new phone we got :P

Ian

PS. For a phone (only) they were supposed to give £5, £2.50 for the charger and £2.50 for the manual if i remember correctly, however they gave us £10 just for the phone! SO YAY
    Student Moneysaving Expert :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport