The Great 'granny In A Glovebox' Hunt

Options

Comments

• ukric
    ukric Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    Asda were selling Nokia 3330's for 19.99 at our local one.
    Nothing's free.....but we'll see what we can do!
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    on vodafone?
  • GDEvans
    GDEvans Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I cancelled my Vodafone account about 2 years ago, as my call cost was so low it wasn't worth paying line rental.

I purchased a Virgin SIM (I think it was £10 inc. £5 credit, but this may have changed). If you have a credit rating, Virgin will setup you up an account so you pay monthly (via direct debit) at pay-as-you-go prices, but without any line rental charges. I've never had to top up the phone since. I'm currently paying £8-10 a month - a friend who works for a mobile phone shop couldn't find a cheaper deal for me!

Recently upgraded the phone (needed one to fit in my company car hands free kit) - I bought one on eBay.

BTW, there are a number of companies selling original manufacturer mobile phone batteries on eBay for a fraction of the price on the streets. As always, buyer beware!
  • avantra
    avantra Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lipidicman wrote:
    Anyone recommend a cheap handset on vodafone (already have a sim but it might be worth buying with a new one and selling that SIM on) ? I have a 3330 and want something similar (my battery is dead and it minimum £20 for a Li-ion one). It must be new and from a reputable retailer - preferably on the high street.

I have a 3310 and my battery died 2 month ago, got a brand new aftermarket battery for the grand sum of £2.6 (£0.70 p+p) from a seller in ebay, it is 1200 mah and last about 10 days without charging. To my opinion it is better than the original Nokia battery.
    Five exclamation marks the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!

Terry Pratchett.
  • avantra
    avantra Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the question should really be about usabillity for granny not so much as the price. To hit both bases I would go for a used 3210/3310 or 1100 as these phones are dirt cheap used (got on on ebay for £5, only one year old). The operating system is very simple even for my technofob father and law and the buttons are really big and seperate so granny will not call someone else by mistake (sorry wrong number).
    Can do with one of these handsets myself after coming out of the pub.
    Five exclamation marks the sure sign of an insane mind!!!!!

Terry Pratchett.
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    Usability? I think the 'granny' referred to an old-and-cheap phone rather than a phone for-a-granny!
  • tullula_2
    tullula_2 Posts: 461 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Glad just ordered me and hubby two phones-been looking out for a good deal.:beer:
    Happy to be here.:D :hello:
  • oocares
    Options
    Signing up with easyMobile costs £5 with a non-refundable £5 bonus, giving you a total of £10 airtime for only £5!

For just £5 you can have:
    • A new mobile number or your old one moved from your current mobile operator
    • A SIM card
    • £10 worth of air time
    • Free delivery

6p per minute any time
    2p per text

If you spend less than £5 over 3 months you are charged 75p!

https://www.easymobile.com
  • If you have already got a phone Virgin is a good deal. It's £10 for a sim card including £5 of calls. You can either top up when you need to (and no expiry date) or pay monthly by direct debit, regardless of how much you spend.

If you have an old Nokia which is locked to a network you can usually unlock it by using the programme at:
    [URL=http://]http://www.btinternet.com/~unlocksmith/guide4.html[/URL]
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not a granny but I'm a very low user and i have been using the same Nokia 3310 on 02 (originally BT Cellnet) PAYG for what must be 4/5 years if not longer. I top it up about once a year - with about £15 or £20 Its mostly used as an ansaphone for voice messages or for the occasional text.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure