The Great 'granny In A Glovebox' Hunt

Options

Comments

• mifster
    Options
    I think someone mentioned this before, but you do have to use the phone in 6 months, otherwise they deactivate the sim.
    I had an O2 pay as you go sim, in the glove box (no I'm not a granny), and went to make a call one day and the sim wouldn't connect, nor would o2 reconnect as they say its all in thei T's & C's....
    so just bought a new sim (as the phone wasn't locked).
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Others have said but I will repeat, make sure you know your T&C's ... Orange & others insist the phone is used atleast once every 6 months, with Orange this can be any of:
    make a call
    receive a call
    send a text
    receive a text

I have a 3330 on Orange Payg for years now, I currently spend about 24p per month (I go to the cinema about twice a month) - There is no minimum spend for me, maybe because I was an existing customer when the offfer was launched. - For those who don't know what I am talking about, Orange phones for the cost of a text (12p) allow two cinema tickets for the price of one on Wednesdays at participating cinemas.

I got a used 3330 from a family member for my partner, initially it was LOCKED but I found a site online that gave me the codes free to unlock it. I have yet to do the next step of obtaining a new SIM for this phone then I will have two payg phones. Thanks for the poster who said earlier in this thread the cost of SIM's.

So far in this thread, I don't think anyone has been able to beat the offer found by the seller on amazon, 10 pounds for a phone which comes loaded with 10 pounds credit + 1000 texts, sounds good to me. But check the seller is including the 10pound credit & free texts in his offer before you buy.

However, I would be sceptical about how good this Amazon phone was, phones are not all the same, some are better at receiving and transmitting a signal than others. I would definately look further and go to a phone shop and ask what they have to offer. Just looking at my paper in front of me, I see a new orange PAYG phone Nokia 3120 rrp 80 quid, being sold at half price, (40 quid). Would you put your granny in the "safe? reliable?" hands of a cheapo -free phone?
  • scoobs_2
    scoobs_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Wig, I have an orange PAYG and didn't know about the cinema tickets. Who do you have to text please? Wish I'd known about it. I was going to get it unlocked and move to Tesco who have half price texts and phone calls to 3 numbers - 5p and 10 p - I thought this would be good cos I only use it to ring/text hubby but with the cinema offer it might be worth sticking to orange. Please let me know how I get the cinema tickets. THANK YOU
  • Wig
    Options
    Hey Scoobs,

If you have been wiv Orange for a long time (1 year) you should be OK, but someone mentioned new customers have to spend 5 pounds a month to qualify, easy way to find out is just to text and see.

Text "film" to 241 so you text the word film & send to number 241 that's it! you immediately get a text back valid for the coming Wednesday. I usually text 10 mins before the film and I have not yet had a problem receiving a voucher. The T&C's say vouchers are limited to first come first served, but like I say I have always got a voucher.

Check the orange website for participating cinemas near you.
  • lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    Options
    The every 6 months thing shouldn't be a problem.. remind yourself to use it every few months if only to make a 1 minute call to your house phone or send a text or whatever it needs to keep it active!! It's not exactly gonna cost you much to keep it active.
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    2nd hand Nokia 3210 or 3310 or 3410 as already said - should be almost free as only about £20 new

use trycktill or nokiafree to get unlock codes or ask for help on MSE unlock Nokias thread

free SIM cards available from time to time on all networks - best was Virgin free with £5 credit

take it abroad to use with foreign SIMs - not Americas or Japan

most UK networks require a call every 180 days to stay valid
  • Wig
    Options
    lellie wrote:
    The every 6 months thing shouldn't be a problem.. remind yourself to use it every few months if only to make a 1 minute call to your house phone or send a text or whatever it needs to keep it active!! It's not exactly gonna cost you much to keep it active.

It's not a problem if you know your t&c's, but this thread illustrates there are people out there with payg phones who don't know the t&c's hence, they lose or are in danger of losing their credit. Which is why it's good to let people know about the 6 month rule.
  • tonyg_2
    tonyg_2 Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you go to Amazon, there is a seller ( Harry7227) selling them for £4.99 supposedly new, where do you find out the postage costs though ? i have gone so far but it was asking for card details so stopped !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/B000816MDK/new/ref=olp_pg_new/026-6871678-2066814

Cant find this Harry guy here... T
  • Wig
    Options
    Yep, you're right, He was there last night (4.99) when I posted above, now the price's are from 19.99

If it's any consolation he didn't say that his 4.99 offer included the 10 pound credit & free texts, so I reckon he was just selling the phone.
  • chinagirl
    chinagirl Posts: 875 Forumite
    Options
    Yeh! I bought this one on the Virgin website. Great, delivered within 24 hours, no probs. Excellent value for money, and if you text another Virgin phone, its only 3p.
    keep smiling,
    chinagirl x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family