Forum Home» Phones & TV» Mobiles

GUIDE: What does UNLIMITED really mean? - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

GUIDE: What does UNLIMITED really mean?

edited 3 January 2015 at 6:12PM in Mobiles
81 replies 93K views
1235789

Replies

  • ZhugeEXZhugeEX Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Hi. OH bought (i.e. paid £89 towards) a Samsung Galaxy S4 in Carphone Warehouse today on a 24-month contract - 250 minutes, unlimited texts and Internet. I asked if tethering was allowed and we were told it was not. This contradicts the information on post #1.

    Were they mistaken?

    Which network was this on? T-Mobile?

    According to the current terms and conditions for all 24 month plans you would be able to tether.
    Any plan with an unlimited data allowance gives you unlimited use of internet on your phone when you're in the UK. This means you can use as many MB/GB as you like and no fair use policy will apply. Please note, internet on your phone includes using your phone as a modem (tethering) but network traffic controls apply. You can also use your phone for voice over IP calling. Your peer to peer file sharing experience will also be slower during peak hours. Remember, you can only use your SIM card in a mobile phone and you'll need internet coverage, check it at ee.co.uk/coverage. To be clear, this means if you try to use your SIM in a mobile broadband enabled device you won't be able to get online.
  • Bogof_BabeBogof_Babe Forumite
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZhugeEX wrote: »
    Which network was this on? T-Mobile?

    According to the current terms and conditions for all 24 month plans you would be able to tether.

    Oops, forgot to say - yes it's on T-Mobile. So they were wrong then - actually they didn't seem too sure. I'm not sure what "network traffic controls" means?

    I'm a newbie to tethering too so will need to find out how to do it! Perhaps that's one for another thread though.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

  • ZhugeEXZhugeEX Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Oops, forgot to say - yes it's on T-Mobile. So they were wrong then - actually they didn't seem too sure. I'm not sure what "network traffic controls" means?

    I'm a newbie to tethering too so will need to find out how to do it! Perhaps that's one for another thread though.

    It's a new policy as of October 30th 2013 so perhaps they didn't know. To be honest it's not something you'd expect many people to know.

    Network traffic controls refers to the tools used by T-Mobile to manage your and everyone elses internet experience. For example, if a lot of people are using the network in your area for internet, you may find that your internet speeds are slowed down.

    If you want to tether you can follow this handy guide-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATo6-rJzI1U
  • Giffgaffs 1gb data/hour is incorrect

    Giffgaff say you can use as much as you like as long as its from the handset, Not tethering and they will packet sniff.

    If this is a sticky. Can the content at least be right.

    http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/Policy-to-manage-illegitimate-usage-and-tethering-with-unlimited/ta-p/5577838
  • ZhugeEXZhugeEX Forumite
    1.2K posts
    SimonSays wrote: »
    Giffgaffs 1gb data/hour is incorrect

    Giffgaff say you can use as much as you like as long as its from the handset, Not tethering and they will packet sniff.

    If this is a sticky. Can the content at least be right.

    http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/Policy-to-manage-illegitimate-usage-and-tethering-with-unlimited/ta-p/5577838

    I have pure hard evidence of people being blocked, cut off or told to stop for using an excessive amount of data when not tethering.

    Giff Gaff will block tethering straight away. But they will also block excessive data usage as well. Hence why I've mentioned there is a limit of 1GB per hour as this is the last recorded monitoring point from giff gaff.
  • ZhugeEX wrote: »
    I have pure hard evidence of people being blocked, cut off or told to stop for using an excessive amount of data when not tethering.

    Giff Gaff will block tethering straight away. But they will also block excessive data usage as well. Hence why I've mentioned there is a limit of 1GB per hour as this is the last recorded monitoring point from giff gaff.

    Are you reffering to the posts on the community forums. the same posts where they admit they are tethering or were banned under the old system

    Either post or correct your incorrect info.
  • edited 29 January 2014 at 3:23PM
    ZhugeEXZhugeEX Forumite
    1.2K posts
    edited 29 January 2014 at 3:23PM
    SimonSays wrote: »
    Are you reffering to the posts on the community forums. the same posts where they admit they are tethering or were banned under the old system

    Either post or correct your incorrect info.

    No.

    I have access to data that public don't have access to.
    For example, Giff Gaff disconnected a customer for using an excessive amount of data (which was over 50GB). The customer was not tethering. He was just using an excessive amount of data which Giff Gaff deemed too much.

    Whilst Giff Gaff don't publicly state this they do contact/cut off customers for using too much data. The same way O2 contact customers on their old unlimited data tariffs for using too much once they cross 4GB. O2 don't state this anywhere but it happens.
  • 50gb is excessive. Giffgaff state they reserve the right to disconnect you for any reason as set out in 3.9

    I think your talking poo. This "secret" info isn't real is it.
  • edited 29 January 2014 at 5:21PM
    ZhugeEXZhugeEX Forumite
    1.2K posts
    edited 29 January 2014 at 5:21PM
    SimonSays wrote: »
    50gb is excessive. Giffgaff state they reserve the right to disconnect you for any reason as set out in 3.9

    I think your talking poo. This "secret" info isn't real is it.

    Well ok. You don't have to believe me then.

    I've created this thread because I believe I have the knowledge and expertise to correctly explain to people what the fair use policies are when networks state "unlimited".

    If you think 50GB is excessive I can't imagine what you must think this is :D
    http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/jabbamk1/Screenshots_zpsbd0bfa63.png
  • You may have some knowledge but not enough to be the almighty ruler.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support