GUIDE: What does UNLIMITED really mean?

edited 3 January 2015 at 6:12PM in Mobiles
81 replies 93K views

Replies

• ZhugeEXZhugeEX Forumite
    1.2K posts
    MattLFC wrote: »
    Fantastic post, should certainly be made a sticky!! :T

To be entirely fair to Three, they never list minutes or texts as "unlimited"; they're the only company out there who seems to regard "unlimited" allowances as just that, unlimited, aka limitless...

So for instance, their highest plan, aka "The One Plan", is sold as 2000 xnet minutes, 5000 3-3 minutes, 5000 text messages, unlimited data and tethering. The two unlimited data (and tethering) feature is truly unlimited with no FUP as stated by the OP.

I think this is the way all networks should go; if they want to call something unlimited, it should be limitless, with no FUP; if they have a FUP of 3000 minutes for instance, then simply do as Three do, and label it "3000 minutes" instead of unlimited lol. Any company prepared to lie to, or deceive their customer from day one, is, IMHO, not a company I'd want to do business with.

Quite how the ASA and Ofcom allow this shady practice is beyond me; well we do know, money (bungs) speaks louder than words, but that just makes it doubly not right. Having said that though, it's good to see that the main networks have gradually stopped the "unlimited" but subject to FUP malarky with regards data. In the past 14 months I've been using Three, it's been really nice to not have to even think about data consumption! AYCE data is an absolute godsend.

Very true, at least unlimited data doesn't mean 500mb fair use policy then ridiculous charges for going over like it did with Vodafone. The reason Virgin can get away with their 3.5GB data cap is because they don't charge you for going over the limit, they just slow your speeds down to 384kbps which makes the connection almost unusable. That way No one can complain that it's not actually unlimited.

And i do agree what you say about Three. If the ASA can stop people advertising unlimited data with a fair use policy they should really stop unlimited texts and minutes. EE/T-Mobile/Vodafone don't actually state their excessive use policy so to be honest they could decide to change the number at any time. And they can contact you at any time and ask you to use less mins.

Three are the best now, they used to advertise unlimited as 1GB/2GB before but now they specifically state that you get 2000 mins/5000 texts and AYCE data with tethering. And at the price it's at it's a very very good deal. Especially since Three will launch 4G at no extra cost and on all tariffs. Like i said, Three are the only network in the UK now to have actual unlimited data with no fair use or speed caps, and they're the only network to include unlimited tethering.

People still have the negative view of Three being a crap network in their mind. But in the past few years they've grown and are now miles better than O2 and Vodafone and on par with EE. Their network is now the best in the UK with 80% DC-HSPA+ coverage. I'm in an area with DC-HSPA+ and i've seen over 25mbps download speed on 3G. That's faster than 4G in some cases. The fastest i've ever seen on O2 or Vodafone is 5mbps, so Three can be up to 5x faster on 3G, and they haven't even launched 4G yet!
  • huntershunters Forumite
    827 posts
    No tesco?

O2 don't charge on my contract for data just slow it down
    :j
    1.2K posts
    hunters wrote: »
    No tesco?

O2 don't charge on my contract for data just slow it down

Thanks, tesco was there but i seem to have deleted it when i was editing the post earlier.
  • Gemma__3Gemma__3 Forumite
    134 posts
    Giffgaff don't have the 1gb/hour 3gb a day limit

On the unlimited plans its unlimited with no tethering as long as its from a mobile device.
  • edited 25 March 2013 at 11:37PM
    ZhugeEXZhugeEX Forumite
    1.2K posts
    edited 25 March 2013 at 11:37PM
    Gemma_ wrote: »
    Giffgaff don't have the 1gb/hour 3gb a day limit

On the unlimited plans its unlimited with no tethering as long as its from a mobile device.

You are right in a way, Giff Gaff have automatic tethering detection as well where they will block you for tethering. So tethering is not allowed at all. They will cut you off if you tether.

If you use an excessive amount of data in a short amount 1GB per hour or 3GB per day then you will be contacted by Giff Gaff and asked to reduce usage. If you continue to use the unlimited data illegitimately then you will be cut off. Therefore it is not truly unlimited data like Three or T-Mobiles offering.

Trust me, i do my research before posting a guide like this. ;)
    Giff_Gaff wrote:
    T&C 3.10: You may not use your sim card in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other giffgaff customers
    We think that any usage over 1GB/hour may be indicative of illegitimate usage

(Another indicator is) using a significant amount of data for a long period of time (i.e. we’d expect someone to sleep at some stage within a 24 hour period).
    If the member continues their suspected-illegitimate usage, we will suspend their data services. (after contact first)
    If a member feels that their usage was legitimate and that the conclusions of our investigations were incorrect, they are invited to follow the usual appeals procedure. We will then conduct a further review into the case. We do realise that mistakes can be made and want to assure you all that we take every appeal very seriously and conduct a full review.
    Giffgaff use 1GB/hour and 3GB/day as simply indicative of illegitimate use (after testing what was reasonable for high legitimate use on various devices). Using over these amounts can trigger further investigations. Your data may be suspended during the investigation period. unless this usage is prevented, illegitimate usage consumes an unfair amount of network resources.

Basically Giff Gaff is unlimited for most people. But if you're a high data user then it's likely you may be contacted for illegitimate use of the network. You may even be cut off. Therefore in my first post i have differentiated between Three/T-Mobile and Giff Gaff by saying there are certain limits.

There are still some (although some what limited) reports of people being contacted for using too much data despite not tethering. This thread was made for people who want to know exactly what unlimited means. For example on Three people have used over 500GB in one month before. If you use that on Giff Gaff you will be cut off. No questions asked. Therefore Giff Gaff is not as unlimited as other networks. But it is more unlimited than networks like Vectone or Virgin.

Like i said, this thread is to give heavy users an idea of exactly what they need to watch out for.

The good thing about Giff Gaff is that they are combating heavy users in the least intrusive way possible by optimising video streaming (iPlayer/youtube) to use less data on their network and thus reduce the chance of someone using more than 3GB in one day.
  • Gemma__3Gemma__3 Forumite
    134 posts
    ZhugeEX wrote: »

If you use an excessive amount of data in a short amount 1GB per hour or 3GB per day then you will be contacted by Giff Gaff and asked to reduce usage. If you continue to use the unlimited data illegitimately then you will be cut off. Therefore it is not truly unlimited data like Three or T-Mobiles offering.

Trust me, i do my research before posting a guide like this. ;)

Well sadly you are wrong. The reports on the forums at giffgaff are people are being contacted at 25/30gb a day as they packet sniff
    1.2K posts
    Gemma_ wrote: »
    Well sadly you are wrong. The reports on the forums at giffgaff are people are being contacted at 25/30gb a day as they packet sniff

I'm not wrong, but i've decided to remove the "3GB per day" from my OP after contacting giff gaff and them confirming that they no longer use that but still use 1GB per hour to identify high users on the network.
  • BingolingoBingolingo Forumite
    224 posts
    T-Mobile's been given a slap on the wrist. Full Monty "unlimited" data is no longer to be advertised as so.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/04/asa-no-t-mobile-your-unlimited-data-isnt-actually-unlimited/

Serves them right.
    1.2K posts
    Bingolingo wrote: »
    T-Mobile's been given a slap on the wrist. Full Monty "unlimited" data is no longer to be advertised as so.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/04/asa-no-t-mobile-your-unlimited-data-isnt-actually-unlimited/

Serves them right.

It's unfortunate tbh. I remember last year when T-Mobile released the full monty, a true competitor to Three's one plan. Looked like the old days of fair usage/caps were gone. And then they blocked tethering, introduced a speed cap and traffic management policy. So i think the ASA are right here.

So if anyone wants truly unlimited data and tethering then the only option is Three with their 3G/4G one plan. A very attractive offer.
  • Can anyone shed light on phones4u T mobile iphone5 16GB 500mins, UL text, UL data, up front cost £99 and £26/m deal? Seems too good to be true - and as these things usually do they turn out not to be!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support