GUIDE: What does UNLIMITED really mean?

Comments

• ZhugeEX
    ZhugeEX Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Can anyone shed light on phones4u T mobile iphone5 16GB 500mins, UL text, UL data, up front cost £99 and £26/m deal? Seems too good to be true - and as these things usually do they turn out not to be!

All the fair use policies are outlined in the first post.

Are you talking about the dialaphone deal?
    It's legit. Just bear in mind that when going through a third party that your contract is with T-Mobile. But your handset is provided by Dialaphone so you'll need to contact them if anything goes wrong with your phone in the first 28 days.
  • Thanks for the reply ZhugeEx but I was refering to the phones4u deal. I have read the fair usage stuff and I am willing to 'accept' them, just wondering if there was a catch I was missing...I may just take the plunge!
  • ZhugeEX
    Thanks for the reply ZhugeEx but I was refering to the phones4u deal. I have read the fair usage stuff and I am willing to 'accept' them, just wondering if there was a catch I was missing...I may just take the plunge!

I just realised you actually said phones 4 U in your first post! Sorry! :faceplam:

No it's fine. But like i said, just remember Phones 4 U are a third party so again your contract is with T-Mobile but the phone is with phones 4 u so you'll have to deal with them if anything goes wrong with your phone or if you need a replacement within the first month.

I recommend taking out the contract via the phone/online. This gives you a 7 day cooling off period to return the phone / contract if you change your mind. If you buy the phone in a store you don't get this cooling off period.
  • ZhugeEX
    edited 7 May 2013 at 12:54PM
    Just a small update. Virgin have released two new tariffs known as VIP.

On sim Only you get
    -Unlimited Minutes
    -Unlimited Texts
    -Unlimited data
    £15pm which is a very good deal.]

However, it seems that their unlimited data fair use policy is still in place so if you plan on using more than 3.5GB per month then this is not the right plan for you. Also there seems to be a fair use policy of 3000 for texts. Not sure about minutes.

If you go for the contract version starting at £26pm with a free phone then you get the plus of Unlimited calls to landlines and 0800, 0845, 0870 and 0808. There is a fair use of 3000 minutes on calls to these numbers.

So it is limited but for £15pm you can't complain if you're looking for a good high usage tariff and get good signal with virgin. No other network can match this right now and i've heard that if you're an existing sim only customer you can get this deal for £10pm.
  • I still think 3.5GB is far from unlimited. If you have a music online stream service such as Sony Music or Spotify then this would be useless.
    I am a moneysaver
  • ZhugeEX
    Agreed. They are currently being investigated by the ASA as far as i'm aware.

The catch is that once you go over 3.5GB they only slow your speeds down to 384kbps. So you can still use the internet... just it'll be ridiculously slow for anything other than light browsing. So that's how they've got away with it for so long.
  • To the knowledgeable mses

is the Ultimate Internet SIM 200 1 month on three is truly unlimited?
  • ZhugeEX
    To the knowledgeable mses

is the Ultimate Internet SIM 200 1 month on three is truly unlimited?

That's correct. It is truly unlimited with no fair use policy.

If you want to know the breakdown then here it is.

-Tethering blocked (Cannot connect your internet connection from phone to other devices)
    -Throttle P2P (torrents etc...) at peak times
  • I get an unlimited booster every month with my t-mobile contract. Its a 30 day changeable unlimited booster which I have choosen as unlimited texts (the plan gives 500 without the booster). Does anyone know how unlimited it will be, as I text a hell of a lot every month and I have never been charged. If anyone would know the limit on a t-mobile booster it would be much appreciated :) my plan is super cheap, six quid a month and i wish to keep it that way and not get charged extra :)
  • ZhugeEX
    Pay as you go booster right?

For current pay as you go customers the fair use policy is as quoted below-
    We'd also like to remind you that your terms and conditions say that you mustn't use our services to do anything unlawful or to send nuisance communications. At the moment, we'll decide that you're breaking this condition if you text more than 300 different numbers over the course of the month with your free unlimited texts. Remember, we're free to decide that other types of use may also be breaking this condition. If you do break this condition, we'll disconnect your SIM card from our network without giving you any advance warning.

Not sure if this applies for the booster or not but you should be fine as long as you're not hammering texts. These days are much better because unlimited really does mean unlimited a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure