Reserving spaces on a public road

Options

Comments

• timbo58
    timbo58 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    Is there a law which actually covers blocking of a dropped kerb?
    I think there is?
    Just out of curiosity.

We have an office with 6 parking spaces and around 10+ employees most days who all have to drive and car sharing is not an option, however it's on an industrial estate attached to a residential area so sometimes a member of staff will park over the adjoining roads, one of them had words with a chap recently who told him not to park in a layby outside some houses !!!!!!.
    Mentioned an ambulance not being able to get to an elderly resident recently due to such parking, very odd as the office is right next to the only road in and we hadn't ever seen an ambulance come up that road in 2 years!
    Unless specifically stated all posts by me are my own considered opinion.
    If you don't like my opinion feel free to respond with your own.
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    timbo58 wrote: »
    Is there a law which actually covers blocking of a dropped kerb?
    I think there is?
    Just out of curiosity.

The legislation which allows local authorities to issue Penalty Charge Notices to vehicles parked across kerbs is the Traffic Management Act 2004 and the London Local Authorities and Transport Act 2003. Parking across certain dropped kerbs is also contrary to Highway Code rule 243 which states:

DO NOT stop or park:
    • where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles;
    • in front of an entrance to a property.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • sjlou
    sjlou Posts: 572 Forumite
    Options
    I can see this from a couple of views!

In my last house we were having a dropped kerb put in. so whilst the work was being done we had to park elsewhere. Needless to say the maisonettes opposite do not even have drives, so you can imagine the fuss when we park in "their" space!! !!!!!! its not your space! its a public highway

Where we currently live, parents use our street to park for the local school. Which is fine most of the time, as I'm already at work! I don't begrudge them parking in front of our house but its the incorrect parking that drives me up the wall. The road is a service road with houses only one 1 side. At some point the council put posts on the grass verge opposite to stop them parking on that side. Now I regularly see parents parked in the "Keep Clear" area used for turning at the end of the road. This morning as I left my house I even saw some cheeky !!!!!! parking up on next doors driveway!
    Cant these people walk even 2 more minutes?!

I can see how people end getting very stressed and into disagreements. People can be so inconsiderate of others.
    :heart: Mini me due March 2014 :heart:
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps if 2 parking tickets = 1 point on your licence people might realise that parking legislation is not optional.
  • timbo58
    timbo58 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Options
    That's a good idea pmduk.

I now pay £20 a year road tax for the car and nowt for my motorbike (historic vehicle) however even £20 is too much considering the state of the roads! :-)
    Unless specifically stated all posts by me are my own considered opinion.
    If you don't like my opinion feel free to respond with your own.
  • runicfire
    runicfire Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Slightly off topic but on a similar vein...

I used to live in an apartment block near the city centre, where the ground floor of the block at the back consisted of a row of garages, and each flat also had a marked private space in front of the garage where it joined the main road. Being so close to the city centre, the public road itself had parking meters and these were usually always full by early morning.

One day when coming out to go to work for a late shift I found someone had parked in my space, blocking my garage...where my car was! Called for a taxi to get to work, but the car owner turned up shortly after - he'd been shopping in the city centre and admitted he often parked there to avoid paying for city centre parking, because he assumed everyone in the apartment block would have been out at work anyway...

Some people amaze me!
  • motch
    motch Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    runicfire wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but on a similar vein...

I used to live in an apartment block near the city centre, where the ground floor of the block at the back consisted of a row of garages, and each flat also had a marked private space in front of the garage where it joined the main road. Being so close to the city centre, the public road itself had parking meters and these were usually always full by early morning.

One day when coming out to go to work for a late shift I found someone had parked in my space, blocking my garage...where my car was! Called for a taxi to get to work, but the car owner turned up shortly after - he'd been shopping in the city centre and admitted he often parked there to avoid paying for city centre parking, because he assumed everyone in the apartment block would have been out at work anyway...

Some people amaze me!

next time get a few mates to help push it along and roll it, he'd never know which garage he parked it in front off when he phones his insurance company, only kidding.
  • Bowling_4_Gold
    Bowling_4_Gold Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options
    I live at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac, and yesterday the neighbour opposite caught me when going out to ask if he could put one of his cars in 'my' space so he could jack it up and do some work to it's underside. I said 'it's a public road, go for it!'. Quite a nice jesture though, I thought
    The quickest way to become a millionaire is start off as a billionaire and go into the airline business.
    Richard Branson
    1886 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    ic wrote: »
    My neighbour keeps a car insured, taxed and MOT'd so that he can park it in front of his house - preventing anybody else from parking there. The only time he moves it is to take it for its MOT. We did have a problem with people blocking our drives, and I eventually convinced the council to paint an "I" or "H" bar marking across the entrances. On his side the marking goes up to the back wheel of his car, because it was parked there at the time - if it hadn't been the marking would have continued further!

Surely a MUCH cheaper option would be to buy a small trailor or caravan. As far as I'm aware these don't need tax, mot, insurance and can be left on the road. You're neighbour must be very well off!
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1886 wrote: »
    Surely a MUCH cheaper option would be to buy a small trailor or caravan. As far as I'm aware these don't need tax, mot, insurance and can be left on the road. You're neighbour must be very well off!

Only if they light them at night: -

"250
    Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are
    • at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
    • in a recognised parking place or lay-by.
    Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.
    Laws RVLR reg 24 & CUR reg 82(7)"

By using the words "MUST NOT", make lighting at night a legal requirement"

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills