Reserving spaces on a public road

Options

Comments

• motch
    motch Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    Shelldean wrote: »
    Local road not mine, is now awful and I feel SO sorry for the residents.

The road isn't long but it's one way due to the width. Several drives means limited on street parking for those w/o drives. Houses are terraced so not always enough space for a car between to drives.
    But there wasn't a problem until the end of the road got a huge block of flats. These flats have parking under them, but it's either one car per flat OR they have to pay? But since they have been occupied the road has been awful.

You could only ever park on the house side of the road, the other side is a school with huge 10 ft wall. But now cars park on the wall side too. It's awful trying to get down there now, and am certain anything bigger than a car wouldn't be able to. And I'm also certain that some people wont be able to access or leave their drives due to the new parked cars.

we've commented that we're suprised the resident havent complained to the council ( several parts of the road are already double yellows to allow free movement)
    Then the other day we noticed cones had been placed by the council to stop cars parking against the wall. And said OH someone has complained then!!!. Next night the cars were parked between the cones LOL.

Couple of nights later there was actuall barriers to prevent parking on the wall side.
    And lo and behold these barriers have been moved so the cars can park once again.

Have to say am amazed how far people will go.

Yes if it's parking under the flats it will probably be an arm and a leg to park. The quide lines when building could of been along the lines of, 25 flats -- lets have 10-15 spaces as only half will drive.

We have a flat like mention above, we have a space which is over £500 a year to rent. there's permit parking nearby but we can't have one. I'd willingly pay double as it's only 50quid.
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to live in a terraced street where one resident would put out an ironing board to save their space. The cone they later acquired was an improvement...(but I was always tempted to park there and put the cone on my roof)
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 March 2013 at 5:33PM
    Options
    motch wrote: »
    Yes if it's parking under the flats it will probably be an arm and a leg to park. The quide lines when building could of been along the lines of, 25 flats -- lets have 10-15 spaces as only half will drive.

We have a flat like mention above, we have a space which is over £500 a year to rent. there's permit parking nearby but we can't have one. I'd willingly pay double as it's only 50quid.

there are at least enough spaces for the flats if not more than one per flat ( can see clearly through the gates) But i do agree they probably have to pay for them, which is why they are making the local residents life hell with their inconsiderate parking.

edited to add, look on google street view at Shorts road Sutton.
    In a cr you have to come from Westmead road end.
    When you get about half way down is the problem.
    On current street view there is a car parked next to the bin number 7.
    That wouldn't normally be able to park there, and people are parking on opposite of the road next to the wall.

As I stated before council placed cones, which were just moved, they put barriers like THESE which were also moved.
    I can see the road getting double yellows all the way down the wall side, as although some spots are ok to park in most restrict the road. This road was fine until the flats were completed.
  • Drinda
    Drinda Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    When my neighbours sister came to visit her she parked over our drive and they went out together in my neighbours car leaving sisters car blocking ours, there is loads of room in our road so when the skip that we had ordered came my husband got the trolly jack out and moved it over their own drive, when they came back about 3 hours later their faces was a picture because they couldn't get up the drive and they looked like "well it wasn't there when we went out", they have never done it since.
    Drinda.
  • jb66
    jb66 Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ive noticed a few signs saying disabled please leave a space but no paint on the ground, are those signs just bought off ebay and not enforcable?
  • SnowBelle_2
    SnowBelle_2 Posts: 423 Forumite
    Options
    I was recently in our local co-op, the car parked next to me had 'You can't park here' scratched into it in 6' high letters.
    I guess that was a little more than cone wars!
  • Calien27
    Calien27 Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    My dad did this once, the first couple of days it was because he had contacted the council asking if there was any way he could make sure the spaces in front of the house were available for the funeral cars for my mum. Some chap came out a couple of days before it took place and stuck a bunch of cones there to keep the spaces free.

They never bothered to collect the cones even after being contacted, so my dad just left them there, don't know why because we had a drive. In the end, most of the cones got taken by drunken weekend revelers heading back from the pub! Cone hats :D
  • Katpin
    Katpin Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    We've started having an issue recently. We live in a new build and the builders are finishing off the last of the development and remaining houses now. we've just had 2 new neighbours (other side of the street) move in. All good so far apart from we've now started to get people parking either so they are completely blocking our drive, or parking opposite (on a narrow street) making it almost impossible to swing in and out.

We've taken to polite notes on windscreens but what really gets my goat is that all of these people (including existing neighbours) that are parking on the road, actually have allocated parking spaces in parking areas (at the backs of their houses) that they never use!!

when i had an allocated parking space I always used it, even if it took me a couple of minutes longer. can't believe how lazy people are!!
    No Debts except Mortgage :beer:
    Mortgage Term End Feb 2043 :mad:
    Savings Goal £11,000/£50,000:T
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    My neighbour keeps a car insured, taxed and MOT'd so that he can park it in front of his house - preventing anybody else from parking there. The only time he moves it is to take it for its MOT. We did have a problem with people blocking our drives, and I eventually convinced the council to paint an "I" or "H" bar marking across the entrances. On his side the marking goes up to the back wheel of his car, because it was parked there at the time - if it hadn't been the marking would have continued further!
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to work in an office within a residential area with a few spaces reserved for senior management and therefore the staff had no choice but to park outside peoples homes. I had several arguments with local residents in regards to this issue but I really don't see what their claim to that bit of land was so continued to park there. One guy regularly put a cone outside his house but stopped after a few of us would purposely move the cone and choose that space over several others. Was extremely satisfying in a childish way.

One day a house had cones outside which didn't normally do it so I respected there was probably a reason for this and parked elsewhere. They had a removal van parked there a few hours later so it does depend on the circumstances.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure