Teenage son question....

Options
Easily offended people look away now....:D My son has started getting up in the mornings with the morning glory, he is embarrassed, so am I, is there any books that anyone can recommend, what shall I say to him? What shall I do? He ran past me at speed this morning, I can understand that but I do not want him to feel lonely and lost or that this is not normal but have no clue how to approach it, my H says leave it , I don't know what to do for the best....

He is 13 and a half, shall I just leave it to the school as I know they do lessons on sex education once a week?
misspiggy wrote: »
I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    "Living With A Willy" - excellent book. :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Willy-Nick-Fisher/dp/0330332481
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Queenie, Almac, no issue it is just that he is mortified when I came upstairs , he fled like a cat on hot bricks desperate to get to the bathroom so he was not seen and I don't want him to be so self conscious of it, I don't want to make it into an issue and I don't want him to think that it is abnormal or that he should be ashamed or hide....

Looked on Amazon queenie and I am going to buy both the books, just not sure that is the way to do it, feel like I should talk to him but would rather not, so the books seem like a good idea....
  • Queenie
    Options
    Al_Mac wrote: »
    Is someone making it an issue? Master Mac, a bit younger, is having no problems with it, just have to knock in the morning, rather than the old walk in :)
    Knocking wouldn't have worked with my soon to be 13yo ... he'd sit there quite proudly with his 'teepee' watching TV in the evening with a smug grin on his face :rolleyes: Advised him that cushions were an excellent camoflage for those moments and advised him to re-read his books :rotfl:
  • Jo6673
    Jo6673 Posts: 825 Forumite
    Options
    My sons been having these moments since he was 4!!!
    I'm amazed its not been an issue until now for you!
    Its completely normal, my sons nearly 11 now and we both just laugh it off...or I hang my coat on it!!!

I bought him this book...Everything you ever wanted to know about willies
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everything-Wanted-About-Willies-Other/dp/1853406341/ref=pd_bowtega_1/203-9625679-3731128?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178613757&sr=1-1

He was mortified at the time but I know he's read it!!! And I'd rather he learnt the truth rather than picking up tittle-tattle in the playground
    :A 17/10/07-Started Rosemary Conley :A
    Total loss so far= 4 stone 7lbs!
    In the magazine Sept 08
    :T
  • Queenie
    Options
    victory wrote: »
    Looked on Amazon queenie and I am going to buy both the books, just not sure that is the way to do it, feel like I should talk to him but would rather not, so the books seem like a good idea....
    To be honest, the subject hasn't been a problem in QueenieLand. Claire Rayner's "Body Book" has always sat on their bookshelf and I've never been too shy/embarassed to talk openly with any of my 5. (4 boys, 1 girl) Their father is the complete opposite though.

As each of mine reached the magic 13yo I made them up a Teen Survival Kit for their birthday's; with my youngest two I brought it forward to 12yo and called it an Adolescent Survival Kit (ASK for short). I didn't want any of them to feel too embarassed to ask anything, but if they were, to at least have the information to hand. My baby will be 12yo in August and is already anticipating his ASK for his birthday :rotfl: He knows it will include condoms (hey, they have to learn to practise at *some* time) and he's already asked for flavoured one's :rolleyes:

I have posted about the ASK and teen survival kits before ... I'll do a search and see if I can find them to give you - or maybe others reading - the idea of what was included.
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks queenie

jo the reason it is an issue now is because of what happened at speed this morning...all this darting around, son hugely embarrased, me trying to think of something to say, or what to do, or anything really!!! My H will not talk to him, says it is one of those things and to leave it and no talking is needed but I just don't want him to think that he has done something wrong or this abnormal and to be able to talk to me about it....
  • Queenie
    Options
    Here's what I've written previously, the books I bought are written in green each one is different, but worthwhile reading :)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Edinburghlass
    I remember Queenie doing a really good mix of presents for her son becoming a teenager at 13 which would be good for a teen hamper. I'll pm her to post the selection of things she prepared.

My daughter is going to try the soaps and bath bombs for her friends :j

Teen Survial Kits were given to my eldest three when they reached 13... but A.S.K's for my younger two because they get them at 12:-

Below is the post which contains the girl ideas and below that a copy of the post I made at the time about my son's A.S.K. (Adolecent Survival Kit :D )

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Queenie
    When my eldest 3 (now adults) reached the magic 'teen' I made them all a teen survival kit, (only last week my 2nd to last youngest reached 12 and due to kids growing up a bit quicker these days, I altered the title to Adolesence Survival Kit). With my eldest 3 it meant I had to do one per year so even though the basics remained the same, they were adapted for the boys individual personalities and of course, my dd had an appropriate variation.

My dd's included "Everygirls Lifeguide" by Miriam Stoppard (don't know if it's still available but something similar should be around); a 5-year diary which was to record her "Journey to Adulthood"; an address book; pamphlets on drugs, drinking, contraception; make-up samples, perfume samples, condoms (they didn't have female one's then), Evening Primrose Oil capsules, various bath/body products etc., Clearasil products; Chubba-chubba lollies (her fav at the time) all the different things I could think of that crossed the barrier of changing from child to adult and would deal with the embarassing yet important parts too but with a healthy mix of humour/seriousness. Presented in a lockable box (privacy being paramount to a teen!) and giftwrapped. I was on benefits at the time, so I did have to plan ahead a bit and gather things together over a period of time, but it wasn't what could be deemed 'expensive' to put together.

I was only saying the other day, they can't remember what presents they received for which birthdays/Christmas growing up, but they all remembered their Teen Survival Kit!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Queenie
    The best part of the week was ds's 12th birthday on Monday. He was delighted to get the gifts on his wish list (naturally!) but was blown away by the "Adolescence Survivial Kit" which I'd been putting together, bit by bit, for some time. When he realised the tempo of the gift, there was a moment where he blushed (so cute!) and said: "You haven't got me a condom, have you, Mum?" - "Of course not!" :naughty: .... when he opened the gift labelled: "Better to be safe than sorry" ... he didn't found one .... but 6 ;) :whistle: 2 x 3 packs, different varieties .....
    He had a real belly chuckle when he opened "Sex, Puberty and All That Stuff" then "The Teenage Guy's Survival Guide: The Real Deal on Girls, Growing Up and Other Guy Stuff" and finally, "Living with a Willy". All three books each had something different to offer in terms of writing style and information but at least now I know he'll have all the information to hand as and when he needs it - one book describes shaving, yet another has pictures. So, good job his kit also included a razor and shaving foam then :):D :rotfl: Wondering how long it will be before he begins filling up his "little black book" (address book) :think: ;) He's quite looking forward to going back to school and telling his mates about his A.S.K ....

• Frugal_Fox
    Frugal_Fox Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    Options
    My son who is 7 has these moments too. He is very much in love with his willy and often has his hands on it. Best comment I had when he was 4, as he was sat on my lap was "make it work mummy"..... :eek: Needless to say I declined.... then exited sharply to poke husband who'd run into the kitchen in hysterics. :o
    "A simple life freely chosen is a source of strength. Do not be pursuaded into buying what you do not need or cannot afford." Quaker Faith & Practice 1.02.41
  • Jo6673
    Jo6673 Posts: 825 Forumite
    Options
    Its a tough one- there's just me and DS here- his father see's him fortnightly and isnt the best with advice- more likely to say he's pathetic or laugh!

He's at the age where he covers himself up all the time and constantly accuses me of sneaking a peek if he's getting changed!

Last time i did actually look- he had pubic hair already- at 9:eek:

My concern now is- at what age should he be able to clean it properly?
    He'd die if he knew I was airing this!!

Probably best to make as if nothings happened- shrug it off- if its raised as an issue it will become one.
    Teenagers get embarrased over the slightest thing- you can tell them you've seen it a million times before- which you will have but when I'm put in your situation, which I guarantee I will be I'll just say nothing at the time and give him a hug later- no words necessary and not mention it.
    :A 17/10/07-Started Rosemary Conley :A
    Total loss so far= 4 stone 7lbs!
    In the magazine Sept 08
    :T
  • astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    Options
    aww bless him, growing up can be so traumatic! lol
    I sobbed my little heart out when i started my periods, i was 11 and just crushed :o
    My son is 3 in June and regularly has a hard willy! The first time it happened i was changing his nappy, tickiling his legs then just noticed his willy, i screamed in shock! :rotfl:
    The suggestions for the hampers, what great things, wish i had one when i was 'growing up'
    :j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family