Say No to 0870!

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Been reading this thread for a while and, apart from loopytush who makes his points in playgroup economics and simply overides other threads with long posts, I agree with the main argument that seems to be transparency. I will be writing to E Leigh MP and other MPs.
    Great site.
  • Loopytush
    Loopytush Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Playgroup economics...lol

oh and lol

because whether you waste your stamp writing to your mp or not, no matter what the outcome i will have the last laugh

1) I will continue to earn a second income off 087 ranges (as can everyone)
    2) My playgroup economics will turn into reality and you will be complaining about the outcome....
  • System
    Options
    Sorry, dont understand your lol or oh lol?

What exactly are you doing on a thread which I understand seems to be Saynoto0870, when you clearly say you make money from 0870 numbers??? - at least we can see your motive for trying to drown all other consumers views and advising that protest to MPs etc is useless.
    Are you really saying the economic prosperity of the UK depends on us keeping 0870 numbers? Because that is what your threads sound like, and it's rubbish - bet Gordon Brown doesnt lie awake at night thinking about this.
  • Victors_Bruvver
    Options
    Martin is there now a danger that this thread it getting really out of hand?

It is starting to get a little bit personal for me, at least, with comments like "lets keep it simple for simple people". Very patronising I think!

And can somebody tell me, along with the thousands of others on this board who are also "Not big internet users" what the hell does lol means, Lots of Love?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I bet none of you have even thought about making these companies and others pay to call you?
    I thought of this some time ago, but I couldn't find a telecom company who would provide a premium rate number just for a cut of the revenue, without an up-front fee of about £1000.
    Which company are you using?
    How long did it take to recoup your costs?
    The scam I devised was to hide the premium rate number behind a personal number, and then opt back in for cold-calling from double glazing companies etc.
    When I checked though, BT said that they won't list personal numbers in the directory.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    IMPORTANT NOTE

Sometimes issues get polemic. That's fine. However occassionally they drift beyond that as this has. I have pruned some posts to try and keep this on track, please

(i) Remember this thread is for discussion 0870 issues only - not assylum, cigarettes or anything else - please can we keep strictly to topic
    (ii) Discussion does not mean abuse. Look at the top of the screen "AND... please be nice to other MoneySavers. There's no such thing as a stupid question on here." Let's not start picking up people's spelling errors - if you did - i wouldn't be able to post to start with.

Sorry to do this - hope it isn't patronising, but remember lots of people read this post trying to get information. The personality clashes simply don't help anyone. So help me by sticking to the point of the thread

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • System
    Options
    One other point which I forgot to mention and which no one else seems to have picked up. The regulations specifically prohibit any form of call queueing with 09 Premium line numbers, for the obvious reason that this will encourage the use of call protraction tricks.

The principal reason that companies and government departments therefore love these covert premium lines like 0845, 0870 and 0871 so much is that since revenue sharing was never originally intended with any NGNs other than 09 queueing was never prohibited for other NGNs. This is what makes the use of these other NGNs so attractive!!!

I believe it is true to say that organisations using revenue sharing NGNs other than 09 make most of the revenue which they receive from call queuing extrapolation techniques. This is prinicipally why they do not want the abuse prohibited. If they were forced to use 09 they could not make these vast profits from keeping their customers holding on line for as long as possible by the use of all these tricks.
  • System
    Options
    Nice post, drrdf3,

I certainly was unaware of this distinction between 'premium' and '0870' regarding queueing. This is an area that should be widely 'advertised' by any campaign as it illustrates perfectly the obnoxious, covert nature of 0870 numbers - and why they make people queue to rob you even more.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep I didnt know the queuing one either - very valuable info!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    Well done Martin

You started this thread because of complaints about excess costs involved in telephoning companies etc. usually with a problem or a situation brought about by the company itself. Unfortunately some people with hidden agendas immediately try to rubbish the argument, when it is obvious that as a general rule, the public at large hate being ripped off with these covert charges. All those who want to propagate 0870 numbers need to have their heads examined (unless of course they are making money out of these numbers themselves that is, which is just as awful as the companies who charge us in this way!) Then of course the arguments start to get personal.
    All of us who have had any contact with the USA will tell you that over there, you can call virtually any company or organisation in the country on freefone AND THAT IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE HERE !

:o:o:o
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family