Say No to 0870!

Options

Comments

• April2
    April2 Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    bbb_uk wrote:
    Good spotting. For a laugh I'm gonna email them mention that they are making money from anyone calling them and the conservatives don't (its a normal geographical as I've just checked).

I don't expect nothing to come from it but it may be fun to see their reply (if any) or if they change their number to a geographical number
    No chance of that.

They're the one's who originally allowed GPs' surgeries to change to 0870 numbers (at least 150% more expensive to call than an ordinary [01/02] number 0600-1800) and, when they were rumbled, resorted to bogus posturing by making them change to 0844 numbers (which, at all times, are still 66% more expensive to call from a residential BT landline than an ordinary [01/02] number).
    Their - possessive pronoun (owned by them e.g. "They locked their car").
    They're - colloquial/abbreviated version of 'They are'
    There - noun (location other than here e.g. "You can buy groceries there") OR adverb (in or at that place e.g. "They have lived there for years") OR adverb (to or towards that place e.g. "Go there at noon") OR adverb (in that matter e.g. " I agree with you there").
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    April2 wrote:
    No chance of that.

They're the one's who originally allowed GPs' surgeries to change to 0870 numbers (at least 150% more expensive to call than an ordinary [01/02] number 0600-1800) and, when they were rumbled, resorted to bogus posturing by making them change to 0844 numbers (which, at all times, are still 66% more expensive to call from a residential BT landline than an ordinary [01/02] number).

I've just emailed them and also the Conservatives and mentioned that Labour have a 0870 number, their costs to us and the fact they are a revenue making scheme.

I agree with you I don't expect anything to come from it from either party as they're not interested.
  • beaker141
    beaker141 Posts: 509 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I called A&L customer support last week and used the international number printed in the chequebook - the guy who answered asked where I was calling from, which I wasn't prepared for and said UK. He then gave mea ticking off that this number was for international use only due to "Security" and said he would deal with my call this time but next timeI must call the 08 etc number.

I was calling to get a Direct Debit refunded and he refused to do it anyway - said I have to take it up with the company, which I knew was wrong but had to then look up the DD guarantee online and call back to insist on the indemnity- the second guy did it no questions - I must have just got a muppet ! (Must admit the second time I called the 08 number !!! )
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    I assume you checked out the SayNoTo0870.com website for a list of the other alternatives you could use?

I bank with TSB & Nationwide. Both of these have 0845 numbers but they both list the geographical number for when overseas. I have always rung the geographical number and not once has anyone said anything to me.
  • GlennTheBaker
    GlennTheBaker Posts: 2,974 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If I ever phone my bank on their "International" (ie geographic) number, I always withhold my number by dialling 141 in front of it. I've never been asked from where I'm calling but if I was I would just lie and pretend I was in Spain or something!

Another good reason for calling a bank's geographic number is that they assume you are abroad and bump you to the top of the queue.
    This space has been intentionally left blank
  • gibby
    gibby Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    this seems to work

firms with 0870 numbers

email em saying you have tried to call em and either getting another co, the number is unavailable or even better state you called and were cut off.

some of my team have had the price of the call refunded as they stated they called and were cut off.
    this is out of the hands of the company - and it really messes them around trying to sort it out.

leave your number and they will call you back

do state you have tried a landline and your mobile with the same results.

they basically chase up the provider - asking why its not working -
    these numbers are just switched using a computer switch.

G
    never take advice from broke or unsuccessful people

Jim Rohn
  • lswwong
    lswwong Posts: 407 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Sainsbury's credit card. About a month ago, I tried to ring them on their geographical number (but didn't think to withhold my number) and the operator who took my call emphatically stated that the geographical number was for emergency calls from overseas only. :(

Today, I looked up an 0800 number for Sainsbury's Bank from the saynoto0870 website and tried it. IT WORKED! I was so chuffed :)

I am so glad that there is an online community out there that contributes to the saynoto0870 website to make it comprehensive and easy to use. :)
  • Victors_Bruvver
    Options
    I bought a Zanussi fridge from John Lewis in December and this week it went on the blink. The only number supplied in case of a breakdown was the inevitable 0870 one. I rang our local John Lewis store and told them that I could not call this number as the deal from my telecom provider did not include any 0870 numbers and had in effect barred me from using them.
    There is no way that I was going to contribute towards Zanussi's overheads when it was their fault that their machine broke down within a few months of buying it. John Lewis, on the other hand were brilliant and arranged for the service centre to call us and arrange for a repair within just a couple of days.
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    Check out this thread here for more ways to call 0870 for less.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=54290
  • littlemissn
    Options
    Has anyone read the prejudice comments made on the say no to 0870 forum by users including the moderator DaveM?

check it out via this link:

http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?board=test;action=display;num=1115845449

it disgusts me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport