Say No to 0870!

Options

Comments

• JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    avantra wrote:
    I think we should complain to BBC watchdog about the 0870.
    Trouble is they use.. 0870 for contacts.

Have done that before!! Needless to say, nothing came of it :D
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have done that before!! Needless to say, nothing came of it :D

Likewise,and am still waiting
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    avantra wrote:
    I think we should complain to BBC watchdog about the 0870.
    Trouble is they use.. 0870 for contacts.

Work is the worst sort of slavery.
    Paul Lafargue, (1883).
    You could always call 0800 044 044 to complain to BBC Radio 2's You and Yours programme about BBC1's Watchdog programmes' use of 0870 numbers! :D
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Victors_Bruvver
    Options
    I am sorry if this is long winded, but this is what the DVLA have told me about their use of 0870 numbers. It is all a bit of a flim flam I think, and the quote at the end of being publicly funded makes one wonder how much funding is expected from the public. Surely when these agencies were firsr started, they knew how much it would cost to run?

"With reference your comments on the Agency's use of 0870 telephone numbers, I would like to give some background as to why the decision has been made touse a non-geographic number as opposed to the traditional STD telephone number.

DVLA derives a number of benefits is using non-geographic numbers. Lines
    with different delivery numbers can be added or removed to a non-geographic
    numbers within hours, helping us deliver a better and more proactive service
    to our customers at minimal cost. To change geographic delivery numbers has a standard lead-time of thirty working days and incurs costs from line
    suppliers.

Real time statistics are available which allow is to monitor the network,
    alerting us to pressure points and faults immediately. This service is not
    available on geographic numbers.

Historical data on non-geographical numbers is presented to us
    electronically and goes into much greater detail than geographic numbers.

As a national organisation, it was considered iniquitous that some of our
    customers should benefit from their geographic location to Swansea, whilst
    other callers paid more for making the same telephone enquiry simply
    because of their remoteness from Swansea. By using a non-geographic number, this ensures that the arrangements are fair and equitable to all.

DVLA is mindful of its duty to ensure that we provide all our services as
    cost effectively as possible. An average call to the Agency lasts under
    four minutes, which generally equates to the cost of a first class stamp,
    and is met by the person using the service as opposed to the public as a
    whole.

I acknowledge that the Agency receives a proportion of the cost of the call
    made using a non-geographic number, however the rebate money received from our service providers helps fund the Agency as a whole, and in no way can, or should, be regarded as profit.

Turning now to your claim for compensation. I should explain that the Agency
    is publicly funded and is accountable to H M Treasury for all expenditure.
    We must ensure that any payment is entirely appropriate and in line with
    strict rules for the disbursement of monies from the public purse. All such
    payments are audited and we have to justify fully any that are made. Having
    reviewed the circumstances, I regret that I cannot consider your request for
    compensation etc etc.,"
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    The DVLA supplied a geographic number some time ago in response to a SayNoTo0870.com member's Freedom of Information Act request (see HERE ).

The above was the usual garbage they gave out and the continued attempt to use the "As a national organisation, it was considered iniquitous that some of our customers should benefit from their geographic location to Swansea, whilst other callers paid more for making the same telephone enquiry simply because of their remoteness from Swansea. By using a non-geographic number, this ensures that the arrangements are fair and equitable to all" justification is particularly annoying because, since BT forced most members of the public onto BT Together Option 1 (on which any call to any UK 01 or 02 number costs 3p per minute weekdays) on 1/7/04, it has been a complete lie.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • colin_tomlinson
    Options
    Heinz wrote:
    The DVLA supplied a geographic number some time ago in response to a SayNoTo0870.com member's Freedom of Information Act request (see HERE ).

The above was the usual garbage they gave out and the continued attempt to use the "As a national organisation, it was considered iniquitous that some of our customers should benefit from their geographic location to Swansea, whilst other callers paid more for making the same telephone enquiry simply because of their remoteness from Swansea. By using a non-geographic number, this ensures that the arrangements are fair and equitable to all" justification is particularly annoying because, since BT forced most members of the public onto BT Together Option 1 (on which any call to any UK 01 or 02 number costs 3p per minute weekdays) on 1/7/04, it has been a complete lie.

Even if their claim was true, why not have a local rate number? ... or even a free one? Then no one would benefit either.

It seems someone has realised. You can now call DVLA free of charge on 0800 389 8787.
  • Al_Mac
    Al_Mac Posts: 5,519 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure if it has been suggested.

Somewhere on the site listing a cross reference of 0870 numbers to normal numbers/email address, normal addresses.

:D

Having just seen the phone bill, biggest call was to one of these, 5% of the bill, thank goodness for 18866.

:mad:
  • kazd
    kazd Posts: 1,127 Forumite
    Options
    My mum has just told me that her Doctors surgery now has an 0870 number. I think that is outrageous.
    £2.00 Savers Club = £34.00 So Far

+ however may £2 coins I have saved in my Terramundi since 2000.

Terramundi weighs 8lb 5oz
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    Al_Mac wrote:
    Not sure if it has been suggested. Somewhere on the site listing a cross reference of 0870 numbers to normal numbers/email address, normal addresses.
    This has been taken care of on the website: https://www.saynoto0870.com which is sponsored & supported by Martin/Money Saving expert.com
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • Victors_Bruvver
    Options
    kazd wrote:
    My mum has just told me that her Doctors surgery now has an 0870 number. I think that is outrageous.
    Dear kazd, this has now been "outlawed" by the Department of Health". They are in the process of instructing all health pratices, with the exception of dentists and Opticians, to return there original local number. What's more is that each practice can claim up to £500 (I think) to offste the cost of switching the number back from the 0870 one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure