We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Giving Up Smoking Thread!!

Options

Comments

• viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ask yourself. When you smoked, did you ever go up to a non smoker and ask them how jealous they were that you got the privelege to smoke and they did not? Did you ever taunt them with the fact that you had this great stress relieving tool and they didn't?

I'm going to guess that you didn't because all smokers, whether they want to believe that they like to smoke or not, do not believe it enough to make this statement to a non smoker, because this statement would be absurd. They only believe it enough to justify why they continue to use a product that has a 50% chance of killing them.
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • skintnow
    skintnow Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Day 2 on the champix, just got out of bed after working a nightshift. Slept really soundly and no dreams either!. Feeling good and really positive. Taken the 2nd tablet a few hours ago and all is well.

Looking forward to the quit date, but mindful of not rushing things and blowing the course. Have certainly cut down my smoking, i just dont want one. When i do light up, i get a hollow feeling, no nicotine hit, nothing. its really strange, but good knowing the tablets are doing there thing.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    skintnow wrote: »
    Day 2 on the champix, just got out of bed after working a nightshift. Slept really soundly and no dreams either!. Feeling good and really positive. Taken the 2nd tablet a few hours ago and all is well.

Looking forward to the quit date, but mindful of not rushing things and blowing the course. Have certainly cut down my smoking, i just dont want one. When i do light up, i get a hollow feeling, no nicotine hit, nothing. its really strange, but good knowing the tablets are doing there thing.

Thats exactly how I was on them, i stopped getting a hit from the fags from the first tablet and by day 5 I was ready to quit - I held off till day 8 as I had originally intended.

So here I am - day NINE as a NON SMOKER:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j

Im just so bloody pleased with myself :) I had to stay away from the forums over the weekend cos I was scared of feeling too smug and blowing it.

Found myself reaching for my fags on day seven, bit of a shock as I hadnt even been thinking of smoking. And thinking on it Im going long hours of the day without the thoughts of"Im giving up smoking" running through my mind. Smoking is no longer my constant companion :)

So not liking the smell of smoke on other people but its not bothering me. Other attempts at quiting I'd smell that someone had just had a fag and instantly want one. I even told a friend who was obviously gasping fro a smoke it was ok to light up in front of me - and it was.

Right now Im working on "Im a non smoker" "I dont smoke" rather then "Ive given up". Also working on understanding that like alcohol I can never ever ever have just one. I really dont ever want to smoke again and I do believe this is my last chance at getting stopped and staying stopped. Actually Im finding the principles of staying stopped very much the same as any 12 step programme, so i know the theories, just have to want this enough to stay with it.

Good luck to those starting out and well done everyone who hasnt smoked today:grouphug:
  • Boatie_Bird
    Options
    Morning all, quiet on here today isn't it?

I think that must be a good sign in that it means smoking (or rather not smoking) isn't the thing that's looming large in our lives all the time!
    Well that's how it's feeling to me anyway.
    Not smoking is starting to feel normal and natural.

Keep up the good work all.

BB
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Here is a link to Allen Carr's Easyway to quit smoking book.

http://www.geocities.com/purplkoala55/allencarr-easywaytostopsmoking.pdf
    Or
    http://www.opposingdigits.com/ebooks/Easy.Way.To.Stop.Smoking.pdf
    I found this book very helpful in my quit and its free
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • skintnow
    skintnow Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    me again. Well no real side affects to report, cigs are getting worse tasting as the days tick by. No trouble sleeping ( i work nights) no dreams so far either. Bit boring really!, but glad of no troublesome side effects just yet! Have really cut down smoking unconsciously, just do not do anything for me now, its purely habit. :beer:
  • TNG
    TNG Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I know I am now a CONFIRMED non/ex-smoker, but just to reiterate - I am in complete AWE of all of you. You are doing so fantastically well - all of you. You should shout it loud and get the congratulations you deserve (not from smokers - they're jealous as hell :D)

Way to go y'all. If there is ANYTHING I can do to help ANY of you, just let me know, either on here or by pm

:T :T :T :T
    :dance:There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood :dance:
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone. Been really busy today. I've had a great day. I went to a local shop at lunchtime and a school girl approached me and asked me if I would get her some cigarettes. I felt really proud telling her that I have stopped smoking and how good it feels to not smoke (no I didn't get her any cigs). She approached 3 more people after me and they all declined as well. So yes TNG I quite liked saying loud and proud how great it feels not to smoke. Well done everybody so far!!! you're all doing really great and i am proud of all of you!!!
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • basilcat7
    Options
    Morning all... on day 24 !!

Well done to all, skintnow, suki and diamond you are all doing fantastically well....

Hi to everyone else, haven't had a chance to read through properly yet !

Had a good time away in sunny scotland (not so much sunny though) went out for dinner on Tuesday and had LOADS to drink- it just went a bit crazy.... was DYING for a cigarette and I think if I had the opportunity to have one I would have done..... unbeknown to me the other 2 had given up too- so we talked about giving up for AGES and it just made me want one. Still, didn't thank god and yesterday had such a hangover would have been sick just to smell one !

Keep thinking its a wobbly but then my friend said she always wants one when drinking and she gave up 8 years ago !! Is it always going to be like this???
    :mad:
    MTC's NO MORE PIES MEMBER NO 202 !!!
    now lost 1 stone 9 pounds- size 8 !!
  • TNG
    TNG Posts: 6,930 Forumite
    Options
    basilcat7 wrote: »
    Keep thinking its a wobbly but then my friend said she always wants one when drinking and she gave up 8 years ago !! Is it always going to be like this???
    :mad:

Firstly..... Well done, Bas!!!!

JoeHel will put it far more eloquently than me, but......

You will think like that for as long as you think you're 'missing' cigarettes or that you have 'given up' something. As soon as your brain realises that it was actually killing you, you will stop wanting one. This happens to different people at different times and, sadly, for some people it doesn't happen at all ("I'd stopped for xx years, then something stressful happened and I had a smoke").

It doesn't happen to me now, which is why I KNOW that this quit has worked and I'm pretty sure that JoeHel and yellowmonkey are the same. You need to understand fully the nature of nicotine addiction. Even though you have successfully quit, I would still recommend reading as much as you can, from the website links in Jo's first post, to Allen Carr and Neil Casey's books (there is a link to AC a few posts up).

Please read them.
    :dance:There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood :dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills