We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Giving Up Smoking Thread!!

Options

Comments

• skintnow
    skintnow Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    JoeHel wrote: »
    Wooohooo! That sounds like a step in the right direction! So how does it work, do you have to smoke for a certain amount of time or do you just stop when you feel ready? Really interested to hear what it's like and how it makes you feel. I would love to get Joe to give it a try!!

According to the instructions you should set your quit date between day 8 and day 14. So you take a low dose 0.5mg tab for three days once a day.( i guess to start you off slowly), not too sure of the rest as i am at work and the tabs at home, but its a gradual build up of the drug until you take 2 tabs a day.
    But even after just one tablet the cigs deffo taste different, and i don't appear to be getting that hit of nicotine once you are smoking, just nothing.

I will be stopping smoking when i feel ready, i dont want to come off the cigs early and it all go pear shaped. But so far so good, i recognise its very early days, I know this is going to work, i just feel it.

Will keep you posted of my progress and my up's and downs.:T
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi I have not smoked for 86 days using champix, I stopped smoking on day 11 by then the champix had kicked in, and after trying virtually every other method of stopping smoking, champix although not a magic pill is probably the closest thing to it. I am also in a champix users group and the support there is brilliant, if anyone would like to check it out its http://forums.quitnet.com/ and go to the champix users group I can tell you after smoking 30 a day for 45 years the freedom I now feel is wonderful, so good luck to any of you if decide to become a non-smoker.
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • basilcat7
    Options
    JoeHel wrote: »
    Oh - talking of artificial stimulants - please be aware that smokers have double the tolerance to caffeine that non-smokers have. So when you quit, you only need HALF for the same effect. I didn't know that and wondered why diet coke had me like a rabbit in headlights when it never used to!!

morning all. JoeHel- I never knew that about caffeine... have been having more too lately since cutting down on the alcohol. Especially at night. Wonder if that's why I'm not sleeping properly ? I keep waking up in the night and can't get back to sleep.

Anyhoo- on Day 22 !!! 3 weeks completed as of 12.00am last night !!! Feels great !!!

Don't know who said it the other day about 3 days 3 weeks 3 months being hard points but I was in a foul mood last night- SO irritable !! work's gone crazy so it could be that but I usually enjoy that. Hmmm..

Tonight going to be a test. Away with work and going out for dinner and drinks with a couple of colleagues- both who smoke !! Will be a test. lets hope I don't get cravings. Will only have a couple of drinks to help.

have a good day all and well done on us 3 weekers, also everyone else. :T :T :T :T
    MTC's NO MORE PIES MEMBER NO 202 !!!
    now lost 1 stone 9 pounds- size 8 !!
  • dlb
    dlb Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everyone.
    My 2nd support group meeting at dinnertime today, hoping my carbon monoxide reading is really low today, it was 33 last week, and was told after 7 days should read the same as a non smoker, so as im at my 5 day mark today hoping for it to be below 10 at least!!

Feeling better and better every day, i didnt even think about it this morning just got up and got on with things, a week ago the first thing that used to pop into my head was coffee and fag!!!!

Keep going everyone
    Donna
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
  • basilcat7
    Options
    dlb wrote: »
    Morning everyone.
    My 2nd support group meeting at dinnertime today, hoping my carbon monoxide reading is really low today, it was 33 last week, and was told after 7 days should read the same as a non smoker, so as im at my 5 day mark today hoping for it to be below 10 at least!!

Feeling better and better every day, i didnt even think about it this morning just got up and got on with things, a week ago the first thing that used to pop into my head was coffee and fag!!!!

Keep going everyone
    Donna

Well done Donna you are doing really well and sound so empowered !! It's funny how you get used to doing things without a cigarette quite quickly isn't it? I used to look forward to my first cigarette of the morning, as soon as my OH went out the front door I'd be out the back door puffing away !! at about 6.45am !! Disgusting now I think about it. Now I don't even think about it at all.
    The one to crack is fag with the glass of wine- its improving with me but still a bit niggly. Have changed my drink to vodka lime and soda, tastes nicer and is just a change so I don't think 'wine and fags, wine and fags' constantly.

Keep it up, you are doing great ! x:T
    MTC's NO MORE PIES MEMBER NO 202 !!!
    now lost 1 stone 9 pounds- size 8 !!
  • Boatie_Bird
    Options
    Morning all.

Dlb - you do sound positive, way to go!

Basilcat - I used to be the same in the morning. Get up, put the kettle on, smoke 1st fag while waiting for the kettle to boil. How disgusting is that?
    Now I sit on the sofa and have a cuddle with DS. Lots nicer :j

Skintnow - sounds like it's going well for you. Keep us updated on the Champix

Oops a daisy - sorry, didn't get round to posting any more yesterday. The new car is silver and shiny and should be mine by the end of the week!

Karensteps - how is it going for you? I hope you're still sticking to the plan of stopping when your cigs run out?
  • purplecatlover
    Options
    morning everyone. hows it going?

i caved on sat evening and bought a pack of 10, disgusting ones though as my local shop didnt sell my usual. so i spent sunday lighting them having a puff and tossing it. what a waste of money.

but didnt buy anymore and started again yesterday. no cigs all day and only 2 cartridges in the inhalator. nhs group today, last week c02 was 23, should be lower today.

im so so tired today though. slept well last night for a change too but i could happily go have nap.
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    you are at the start of a wonderful journey, it will have a few difficult times but compared to the reward at the end of your journey they are nothing. Its 87 days since I last tried to kill myself, and its so nice now to be free of a terrible addiction, although I will always only be 1 puff away from the trap, the more I enjoy all the rewards of being a non-smoker the more difficult it will be to fall into that trap again. So onward you go and enjoy, and post often and read the posts of others because they can be very helpful, good luck. Viv

You've been Quit 87 days. £647.28 and 19 days, 22 hours of your life saved
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • Diamond78
    Diamond78 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello My Dear friends,sorry havent been on for a while.Im still doing well and still not smoking.If it had not been for this thread and kin words of wisdom from so many of you, i would of caved in again but am proud I havent and happy to of taken your advice.I feel a little healthier in terms of breathing, mentally am sorting that out as now I have been rerefed for councelling.Still feel really down but i have learnt to live with it.

Still not using the patches as I feel I dont need them.I am using the inhaler stil lbit not as much as I want to withdraw myslef away from it to get away from the habbit.

Im worried tho as i feel this good about not smoking and a little confident i dont want to cave in liek i did when i last stoped.

I dont really have the cravings anymore,i have saved money which i used to get my nails done(£13) a cd(£10) shameless series 4 dvd (£18) and got some goodies for my son and it was nice spending that money on nice things rather than the killer white stick that poisons us.

I hope i carry on feeling this positive about not smoking and givig up and hope you can all to.
    Hugs xxx
  • dlb
    dlb Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    Options
    Im back from nhs quit group and my monoxide reading was only 1, compared to last weeks 33, it just shows you how quickly the bad stuff leaves your body after quiting!!!!!

Made me feel even more positive chatting with the others who are all doing really well, there is a lovely gent there who used to smoke over 60 a day and he had a reading of 1 also this week, i was so pleased for him as was his carer who takes him to the group.

Right off to treat myself to something yummy for dinner
    Donna
    Proud to be DEBT FREE AT LAST
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business