Moral Dilemmas

Options
Just wondering if anyone has any moral dilemmas when entering comps.
For example- entering competitions run by baby/ new mother/ toddler type companies and not having kids/ grandkids- but the prize is really good.
Obviously there won't be any really serious dilemmas shared here because of the nasty commenters, so just a light hearted question.
I do enter comps for running shoes and skis- but I wouldn't have the faintest idea what to do with them, so do feel a slight pange of guilt when I enter- sometimes hoping I don't win, or saying to the missus- "just my luck if the only comp I win is for a horse saddle"(don't have a horse!!
JUST FOR LAUGHS THEN.
I am a Random Number!(£174)
2016:£14(venus),£50(WhiteHouse),£100(NisaNoFear),£10(SportsDirect)

Comments

• nelie
    nelie Posts: 1,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I always feel bad entering the competition hoping to win a runners up prize and not the main.

Say a holiday as the main and £100 shopping vouchers as a runner up!
    I think I'd ask to swap if I did win! (Surely someone else wouldn't mind)

I don't enter for things I'd have no use for though. Like Baby things. I do have a friend who is pregnant, but a lot of for girls and not boys :/ x

i enter competitions run by baby sites if the competition is not for babies. I won a BBQ with one last year.
    x
    December Wins: £300 worth of board games, £500 Tesco Vouchers Best Win in 2023: £500 Tesco Vouchers
  • custardcream1000
    Options
    Not really when entering comps as I only enter for prizes that are for me, my husband, or my two children. But, I won my first competition a week ago and felt terrible that it was mostly girly items and not anything for my partner or children. I could'nt have felt that bad though as I had a long bath that night and used all my new goodies :)

I wonder what you will do with the ski's if you win them....maybe a fashionable washing line haha ;)
    £630/ £2014

• Marg2k8
    Marg2k8 Posts: 5,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I only tend to enter competitions for prizes that I would like, but there have been times when I have sold part of a prize and that has not pricked my conscience at all. For example, I won a watch and a few other nice things, but the watch was not my thing at all, so that went on Ebay.

My conscience does however mean that I do not enter some competitions for prizes that I would really like. For example, if the competition is run by the Jewish Chronicle, or the Gay Times, my conscience will not let me enter, as I am neither Jewish, nor gay. I expect other people would enter these without a second thought.
  • CatsWithThumbs_2
    Options
    Marg2k8 wrote: »
    I only tend to enter competitions for prizes that I would like, but there have been times when I have sold part of a prize and that has not pricked my conscience at all. For example, I won a watch and a few other nice things, but the watch was not my thing at all, so that went on Ebay.

My conscience does however mean that I do not enter some competitions for prizes that I would really like. For example, if the competition is run by the Jewish Chronicle, or the Gay Times, my conscience will not let me enter, as I am neither Jewish, nor gay. I expect other people would enter these without a second thought.
    Same here, there was a nice prize just recently with Jewish Chronicle, and I didn't enter for the same reason- but I am not a skier or a runner and I will enter those comps?
    Perplexing logic eh?
    I am a Random Number!(£174)
    2016:£14(venus),£50(WhiteHouse),£100(NisaNoFear),£10(SportsDirect)
  • betterlatethannever
    Options
    Well i'm currently getting married on 31 st March (nope):o
    travelling from Gatwick on 28th Aug (nope) :o
    and expecting a baby in June (nope):o

But i've entered these comps to win prizes i could use or pass on to my close family e.g not a wedding dress
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • ohohoh_2
    Options
    Personally I would feel bad.

There are a lot of competitions for mums out there but I've not entered any of them and have no plans too until I am a mum.
    Similarly I was debating entering one of the Bliss competitions, Bliss is a mag for teenagers but there is nothing in the rules about being under a certain age to enter, I'd just feel weird joining the site at 30 but I have thought about it.
    As long as there isn't anything in the rules then there isn't anything legally wrong, I'd just feel bad. I think I'd worry that I would win something big like a trip to Disney World and I'd be required to send photos of myself and my children on the holiday or something similar.

I only enter competitions for things I'd want/have a use for. Sometimes these things are items I wouldn't usually buy myself but would love to try, expensive beauty items or technology, I'd love a kindle but I'm not even thinking about saving for one but I'd love to win one.
    Debt Free: 24/05/2013!!!!
    2014: A years supply of Ecover washing up liquid, Phantom of the Paradise steelbook, A selection of Ojon goodies, £500 ASOS vouchers.
  • tinktinktinkerbell
    Options
    i enter competitions for toys if they can be used for my pets

i dont enter for wedding things, cars as neither of us can drive or family holidays

i just enter for things we can use, can use for the pets or i can give to family
  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i dont usually enter wedding or honeymoon prizes and i dont ski so i dont enter them anything else i do and no im not a mother
    What goes around-comes around
  • DropsOfRainbow
    Options
    I have a little baby so i always enter the baby ones. I never enter anything that i don't want, wouldn't use...i.e holidlays (having a small baby, holidaying is not an option at the moment) fishing things, dvds or blu rays i dont want to watch. As someone could win that really does want :)

Also im picky over what pushchair competitions i enter, as there is one type of pushchair i really really want, so if i ever see that one i always enter, but dont enter all the others as i have a pushchair already :)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 February 2013 at 9:35PM
    Options
    I don't enter competitions for children, or signed memorabilia that would be meaningful for proper fans. Or for tickets for events that I wouldn't go to. Or for honeymoons!
    Other than that, if I want it for myself or others, or think I've got a realistic chance of selling it on without too much hassle, then I'll enter it. If site owners want a specific demographic then they should put that in the terms and conditions.

If they don't then I don't feel in the slightest bit guilty about having a go. They're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, it's a commercial decision and a cheap form of advertising. I'm a consumer, even if not one of their specific targets.

Edit - then again I win bog all anyway so it's slightly academic. Maybe it's the comping karma fairy getting her own back on me for putting a couple of prizes on ebay.:)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport