Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Options

Comments

• Miroslav
    Miroslav Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ...I have one or two questions.

The bank accounts in question are now closed and I have no paperwork that I can find on them.

Do I need the account numbers, or can they send details based on name and address?

I'm sure I could find something If I needed too, but may take some time.

I also have 3 old credit card debts which I wish to reclaim the charges from.

So, that's 5 accounts in total. Should I go for all of them at once, or should I stick to 1 or 2 at a time?

I've not read the full details on where to start yet and i'm sure it's going to play with my head, especially with so many worries I have regarding finances right now, but I must start to sort myself out.

Any advice appreciated
  • Miroslav
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just to add, I believe I come under 'hardship'

I am unemployed (disability), have primary debts (Council Tax, Water, Gas, Electric) as well as secondary debts, so may go down that route, if I can ever get my head around it.

I have put it off because I don't think I could get my head around it all.
  • indierocker85
    Options
    Who were the 3 accounts with? How long have they been closed
    Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away
  • Miroslav
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The bank accounts were Barclays & Natwest and the credit cards were barclaycard, capital one and HSBC Credit Card.

They have all been closed for about 3 years.

If it makes any difference, all but Natwest I am currently repaying through debt collection agencies and some are still piling on interest.

Is there a similar kind of thing I can do with these debt collectors?
  • Sussed
    Options
    Hi everyone this is my first post here, regarding my own little problem with the banks.

I had an account with HSBC which has now been closed and passed over to Capquest Debt Recovery and the debt owed on the balance of the account is in the region of 10 grand, ouch.

Basically I took out an overdraft for £1000 whilst at college some 10 years ago and agreed at that time to pay back £5 a month and have paid that until the account was closed in April.

I stayed within the agreed limit to begin with but the regular charges on interest and fees on my account pushed me over the agreed limit, not my own spending, and I was subsequently charged the higher rate of interest for being overdrawn. Unfortunately that was more than 6 years ago can I still reclaim the recent charges even though they do not prove it was bank charges that pushed me over the limit?

I have not received any HSBC bank statements in the last 10 years since HSBC thought I was resident at a different address. I received the last 6 years worth after the second time of asking from the bank via the collectors. I was not using the account at that time and charges mounted up without my realising it until Capquest contacted me saying the account had been passed over to them for recovery, again I had no knowledge that the account was being closed.

So I received a letter out of the blue informing me I have to repay said amount to Capquest and have managed to obtain statements for the last 6 years. HSBC will not engage in discussion with me and simply tell me to deal with Capquest who are taking monthly debt repayments.Whilst I was obtaining the statements they sent out letters saying my repayment account was on hold and then continued to claim DD payments. They have also rung me at work to enquire if I could settle the balance instantly despite having set up a regular payment which they agreed to and I have kept up.

I'm not even sure if I can reclaim in this situation or how much? Interest payments on my overdraft were over £100 month before it was closed. Can I claim this back? I am now at the stage of trying to establish a figure I would like to reclaim, but given the situation is this even possible and if anyone has any advice on my best course of action on how to deal with this mess I'd certainly appreciate it.

Apologies for the long post but the debt's doing my head in and so are the collectors who just sent me two contradictory letters:

One came with all the requested 6 years of statements in saying my account is on hold until mid October, the other saying if I do not contact them within 3 days I may incur further charges on my account! Are they even allowed to do this?

So I need advice on both issues, one to reclaim bank charges and the other on how to deal with debt collectors. I intend to approach Trading Standards regarding the treatment I've received from not only a snubbing from the HSBC bank but the intimidatory tactics of Capquest.

Cheers if you took the time to read all this and thanks in advance for any advice.
  • cheeky_chops_3
    Options
    Hi

This may have been asked before but could someone please advise.....?

After many months of issues with Natwest which were beyond comprehension we cancelled all accounts and credit cards with them.

We kept all letters with regards to the loan (which started the whole string of events off) but nothing else as we wanted to wash our hands with them for messing us about so badly.

I have hunted high and low for anything that may have our old credit card number on it to no avail. I have even tried logging onto our old on-line banking account with them but they have removed all of the information on it as the account was closed.

If I write to Natwest with name/address/DOB etc, can they trace our old credit card number so we can pursue a claim for late payments charges?

Many thanks for any asistance.

Basic overview as to why we closed all accounts with Natwest - husband took out a loan, when I started dealing with his affairs I noticed that they had been taking over £50 more per month from him than the loan agreement. We had to fight to get the money back and re-adjust the payments, then to top it off they did the same again with the new loan. We decided to pay it off as we were so annoyed with it. We went to pay some money in and the Natwest cashier was too busy gossiping with the girl sat next to her she debited the account instead so we were double the amount down. We called the bank and they didn't believe us. We got that rectified the next day. We decided to sever ties with Natwest and set up new accounts with another bank. Natwest only advised our new bank that we still had this loan and took the money from our new account months after it was closed! Then they had the balls to say that we couldn't have it back immediately as it had to go back through 'the system' even though it was there !!!!-up. Never bank with NATWEST!!
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    Yes they can trace it that way, btw I may not agree with your last sentiments, but considering the problems you have had, I understand them.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • Sussed
    Options
    So does anyone here know if I can claim back the interest on my overdraft or not?

If so how do I begin to calculate the amount? I thought about just adding up every interest charge for the last six years, but that would mean an interest free overdraft which I don't think I'd get away with ;)

If I don't have the statements that proved it was interest charges that pushed me over the overdraft limit, more than 6 years ago, rather than my own spending can I even reclaim at all?

Please advise!
  • graham1974_2
    Options
    hiya there everyone,
    ive been trying to get copies of my old statements from the natwest.
    i no longer have my old credit card account numbers, so sent them my name address d.o.b like i did with the other banks that i used to have credit cards with, that i no longer no the account numbers to. (managed to get statements from all the other credit cards ok!)
    Natwest have today sent me a reply back saying that they cannot send me my statements without me providing them with my old credit card account number.
    i havent had any problems from any of the other credit card company's with them sening me my old statements, no doubt this is something Natwest do, to try and put me off getting my statements from them, but i was just wondering if anyone knows whats next for me to do, to get my old credit card statements from them?? shall i just write back to them again saying that they have to send me my statements based on my name, address and date of birth? or is there something else that i can do to get my statements from them??
    any advice from anyone out there would be great!!
    cheers graham :beer:
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    graham1974 wrote: »
    hiya there everyone,
    ive been trying to get copies of my old statements from the natwest.
    i no longer have my old credit card account numbers, so sent them my name address d.o.b like i did with the other banks that i used to have credit cards with, that i no longer no the account numbers to. (managed to get statements from all the other credit cards ok!)
    Natwest have today sent me a reply back saying that they cannot send me my statements without me providing them with my old credit card account number.
    i havent had any problems from any of the other credit card company's with them sening me my old statements, no doubt this is something Natwest do, to try and put me off getting my statements from them, but i was just wondering if anyone knows whats next for me to do, to get my old credit card statements from them?? shall i just write back to them again saying that they have to send me my statements based on my name, address and date of birth? or is there something else that i can do to get my statements from them??
    any advice from anyone out there would be great!!
    cheers graham :beer:
    Graham can you confirm that your account was open in October 2002 or before?
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family