Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Options

Comments

• villaboy_30
    Options
    hi all can someone help me will i be able to claim my charges back from an account that was closed this year any help would be great.
  • Nikki_H_3
    Options
    Hi! I am new to this forum, and have joined to hopefully, amongst other things, get some advice on reclaiming my bank charges. I have been reading through all the threads (OMG there are loads!) and I can't seem to see anything about whether it is possible to claim charges on an account that is now closed.

I am going to send off the letter requesting notification of my charges for the existing account, but about 2 years ago, my ex and I closed our joint account after struggling for ages to pay off an overdraft that just crept up due to charges, because we were not using the account and the bank would not freeze it, even though we were in the middle of a divorce and the Solicitor was going to pay it all off from the sale of the marital home.

Can anyone tell me whether I can go back and claim these charges, or is it only on accounts that are "live".

I apologise if I have missed the answer to this question on another thread somewhere!
  • boilmesweetly
    Options
    Does anybody know if it is possible to claim bank charges on an account that was closed over a year ago?
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a note to anyone with a closed account who doesn't have the account number....

After advice on here OH went into the branch he used to have an account at and asked if he could find out his old account number so he could request some copy statements.... they asked his name, address, date of birth and then wrote down the number for him!!!

Makes our life easier! :D

Next - letter to be sent requesting the list of charges ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • gregthegrey1
    gregthegrey1 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Does anyone know if this can be done on old closed accounts?

Cheers

GTG
  • Foot101
    Foot101 Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Does anyone know if this can be done on old closed accounts?

Cheers

GTG

Yes no problem , claim away. I've beaten HSBC with one closed accounts and have 3 others ongoing.

If you dont know the account no , put D.O.B on adress

Good luck
    HSBC Claimed £2519 , Paid £2300 - cheque recieved
    Capital One Claimed £300 , £144 offered , court threat 09/05

Halifax Credit Card - Statements requested
    Halifax Current Account - Statements requested
    Black Horse Loan - Statements requested
    Halifax Mortgage - Need to do next
  • sparklyfee
    sparklyfee Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, sorry i'm a bit new to this. The bank I am with at the moment do not owe me anything but I have 2 closed accounts with Natwest and Barclays from my student days....they are now closed because they ripped me off!!!!!!! I don't have any paperwork with the account numbers on and don't even know if you can claim from a closed account at a bank you no longer use? Can anyone help me and give me some advice on what to do??? Would really appreciate it!!!! X
  • BAILIFFCHASER
    Options
    I have done barclays 4 times and barclaycard two times. 2 closed and 1 open. waiting to do the same with natwest and also tsb.
    ONLY COPY WHAT I AM DOING IF YOU ARE 100% SURE AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE END RESULT MAY BE. ALWAYS CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE. I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED . IF WHAT I AM DOING HELPS YOU IN ANY WAY CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON
  • steven77
    steven77 Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All...

Can I claim from an account that I've recently closed? Had it for 9 years before then...
    Debt at Lightbulb Moment #4 (December 2010)
    MBNA - [STRIKE]£3463.35[/STRIKE] £3770.94 Halifax -[STRIKE]£3822.25[/STRIKE] £0.00 Cleared! First Direct [STRIKE]£1437.95[/STRIKE] Cleared! Nat West £2256.22 Black Horse -[STRIKE]£300[/STRIKE] £71
    Private Loan - [STRIKE]£500[/STRIKE] Cleared!!!
    Total - [STRIKE]£8085.84[/STRIKE] £6098.16
  • Petersfield.
    Options
    Having sucessfully claimed and recieved a refund from my current bank for charges they had levied against me....I'd like to know if anyone knows if it is possible to reclaim charges from a previous bank account I had a few years ago...and had to close due to the massive amount they were charging me!
    I have also settled my accounts with 2 credit card companies...both of them having charged me massive amounts....I'd like to know if I am legally able to reguest a refund...??

Anyone able to help.....???

:confused:
    Thanks....!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills