Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Options

Comments

• skippy64
    skippy64 Posts: 219 Forumite
    Options
    Found some old statements in the loft for a RBS personal account (closed in 2002) that I was going to send off for & what I want to know is can I just send off letter 2 from the templates without any prior letter of informing them that I will be intending to claim. Also is best to send the letter to head office or hand it in at my local branch. Cheers, skippy
  • Camdenite
    Camdenite Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Yes that's fine. You have all the statements you are claiming against, so no problem whatsoever. The six year ruling is purely in regard to how far back the bank has to supply you statements for. Most people don't have statements this old, and therefore have to use the Data Protection Act to obtain them.

I actually went looking in our loft on the off chance that I had kept old statements, but no such luck!
  • groover1977
    Options
    I plan on reclaiming my bank charges from Barclays Bank but I closed the said account a couple of years ago. Can anyone tell me how to go about getting my old account details from them, as I no longer have anything with the account number on it. I think it should be worth a fair bit so I would like to get cracking on this asap. Any help would be greatly appriciated, so in advance many thanks.
  • groover1977
    Options
    Sorry to bump this myself but is there anyone out there who can help with a bit of advice please? Once again many thanks.
    Ben
  • denise76
    denise76 Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    HI ALL,I AM WONDERING IF SOMEONE COULD PUT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRESTION OF FINDING OUT MY NATWEST ACCOUNT NUMBER AND DETAILS FROM approx 3 YEARS AGO( I SHREDDED ALL STATEMENTS ETC)
    THANKS ALOT DENISE
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Send the bank your name, any relevant addresses and your date of birth along with the letter asking for all information and/or statements and enclose a cheque for £10 and the bank should be able to provide the information required.

Also the branch name that held your account will be helpful.
  • denise76
    denise76 Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for the information,as i need this to get past charges from my bank,does this mean i have to pay twice though one payment of £10 for account info,and another of £10 for past charges, many thanks
  • saz456
    saz456 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    hi there just wondered if anyone could help. My partners bank have charged over £1400.00 over the last 3 years the account was closed on 12 sep 06 as we stopped the wages going in there as we was fed up of the charges and it was £33.63 over drawn so i was wondering if we was still intitled to claim this money back or not any advice would be much appre:confused:
  • shelly84_2
    Options
    Hi does anyone know if you can reclaim back bank charges from an account that has been closed? My partner recently paid off charges to natwest from an account that he had opened years ago and was £7.00 overdrawn, but ended up paying over £500 in charges, and we want to claim it back please help!
  • garagegirl6969
    Options
    yess he can claim back all his charges even though they've been paid back remember that he can only claim 6 years worth.

Do you still have statements if not you will need to write off for them first

good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport