Can I claim on a closed account, no account number?

Options

Comments

• davefcuk
    davefcuk Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    kazzy26 wrote: »
    I used to have an account with Barclays Bank which I closed about 2 years ago because of the charges they added to my account. Does anyone know if I can still make a claim for the charges even though this bank account is now closed?

Thank you

The answer is YES

So go for it follow Martins advice

Good Luck
  • fl7nn
    fl7nn Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thank you ever so much.
    I had heard of this via the media, but it does seem to be a little vague when the question of having 'open' or 'closed' accounts.

I sent off 3 seperate letters for the 3 seperate accounts and 3 £10 cheques.

I did have internet banking, and have just got my first letter from them today acknowleging that they will send me the last 6 years statements free of charge.

I now will eagerly anticpate the outcome.

Thanks again for this advice - really appreciated!
  • Kurt_Hamster
    Kurt_Hamster Posts: 791 Forumite
    Options
    fl7nn wrote: »
    Due to having 3 accounts with one bank - and charges that were continually putting us over our agreed overdraft on a regular basis; towards the end of last year, I opened a new account with a different bank.

I still have our joint account in operation with our previous bank, but unfortunately I made the decision last month to close these accounts, as I could no longer keep them operational.

I suppose what I want to know is before I send off the initial template, can I do this with accounts that have recently been closed?

If I am able to do so, should I send 3 seperate letters and 3 seperate £10 cheques?

This is my first time on this site, and a problem that I have to be honest that I thought was totally beyond my control up until I heard about being able to do this via the media coverage on this.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

You only have to pay 1 x £10 per BANK, as you are asking for all information that the bank holds on you, this covers multiple accounts.
    Hamsters have no tact and diplomacy, nor do they want any.
  • Captain_Pugwash_2
    Options
    I have looked at the board but can't seem to find the answer. I assume it should be OK but wanted to check before I go through the motions. Has anyone experience of this. I have an old account with Yorkshire Bank and want to claim back my charges but wondered if they could refuse as I no longer bank with them.
  • lola_26
    lola_26 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I have looked at the board but can't seem to find the answer. I assume it should be OK but wanted to check before I go through the motions. Has anyone experience of this. I have an old account with Yorkshire Bank and want to claim back my charges but wondered if they could refuse as I no longer bank with them.

I am wondering the same...used to have a barclays student account and must have paid around £1000 in charges...hopefully someone will have the answer as I dont see the point of starting the motions if they will dismiss us!
    Lola :A
  • Amanda4242
    Amanda4242 Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From what I've read on here before yes you can.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no 463 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes of course you can!
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • Jabo
    Jabo Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    While I was in 'unauthorised overdrawn' mode
    I had an overdraft of £1250 and then some charges of about £300 on top of that. They closed my personal account and business account due to the state the personal account was in.

Should I still try and reclaim back the charges I got on the personal account?
    I don't have my statements lying around. If I phone up or pop into the branch will they still be able to give me them?
  • lockd
    lockd Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Can anyone help? If I no longer have my account details as the bank account where I paid all my charges was closed 4 years ago, can I still get the details of my charges information from the said bank? And if so how do I go about doing this?
  • blingblingtree
    Options
    Hi,
    I am trying to reclaim the bank charges from Alliance and Leicester.
    However after charges were applied to my account and the way I was treated by the staff there I closed the account in 2006. Can I still reclaim the charges?

Also does anyone have any experience with First Direct. I have always been happy with them, except recently I have gone a couple of pounds over my overdraft and been charged £30 each time. :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure