🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Sally286
    Options
    Thanks Hengus,

I have already done a comparison on uSwitch and found I can get it cheaper from the Co-op, but that is still much higher than I have been paying on Energy Fixed 1 Year v19. I'd like to know from the E.ON rep on here how they can possibly justify charging me 30% more on v21 than my current tariff! And also why E.ON makes no effort at all on customer retention.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sally286 wrote: »
    Thanks Hengus,

I have already done a comparison on uSwitch and found I can get it cheaper from the Co-op, but that is still much higher than I have been paying on Energy Fixed 1 Year v19. I'd like to know from the E.ON rep on here how they can possibly justify charging me 30% more on v21 than my current tariff! And also why E.ON makes no effort at all on customer retention.

EON v21 is 46% more for me than the MSM EON collective tariff I'm currently on which runs out next March. :eek:
    ...but the explanation is simple -EON were much too successful in sweeping up the ~30% of the market who DO actively seek better deals -the Board don't want us anymore because we aren't profitable (or much less profitable than the sheep who never switch) and their bonuses are being depressed:rotfl:
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks Hengus,

To be fair, v19 does seem to have been an exceptionally good deal, I'm on it too and am anxiously watching the market for a replacement. v20 was more expensive and v21 is even worse.

If the last couple of years are any indication, there will be a flurry of new tariffs available for a short term around new year some bad, some good, some with leaving fees, some without, before settling on another 'nothing special' tariff like v20 (and v16 in 2015) until next Christmas.
    2015 had me on v15, then I was on v17, 18, & finally 19 over a short period of time (v18 lasted 2-3 days IIRC). I hope we'll see something similar before the current deal ends, but right now Scottish Power's 2018v2 flat rate* is looking like my best deal with 'only' a 20% increase on the annual cost rather than the 40% with E.on.

Also, bear in mind that I don't think Uswitch includes the £100 annual discount for DD+dual+paperless on E.on tariffs which can skew the results quite a bit depending on your usage.

*Why is it with all this regulation, when you tell energy companies you have a meter capable of dual rate they can show you only Economy 7 tariffs? Even if your day/night usage means they will be more expensive than flat rate? I had to lie about my address to EDF just to find out what the flat rate is (cheaper than E7 but still too expensive)
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • fittaedae
    Options
    I have been an EON customer for approximately 10 years and Ive just got the email too saying "Switch and get a better deal" Im on Fixed 1year V19 and pay £89.25 a month and generally when I do meter readings I am in credit and only had to pay about £40 at the end of the year to clear what was left. They are now offering me deals V21 No Tesco rewards at £122.41 a month or Energy plan which is not fixed at £126.35!!
    I am disgusted as I too have been a loyal customer but I get this kick in the teeth when I really dont need it. Ive just lost a part time job and my income has decreased, where am I going to find an extra £389.40 to £436.68 extra when I have lost income..... :(
    ....taking one day at a time, its all we can do! :)
  • the.weekender
    Options
    Just like many other MSE posters I have been with EON for many years and do not really want to leave them, but for whatever reasons EON have, they do not seem to care about losing their loyal customers, well that is up to them.
    Quite simply, my V19 expires on 20/1, if no new competitive deals come out in the 'January Sales period' then time to move on, rather than pay a lot more per month for my gas and electricity than I need to.
  • Maxwell007
    Options
    I hope EON see the LIGHT and don't make there loyal customers feel they have to leave just because there prices are not competitive.
  • forestlands
    Options
    What strange comments, guess they are from someone at E on! Check your finances etc.! Just phoned Age UK re EoN putting up my monthly electric payments to £64. Felt that was excessive monthly payments up £5 a week. Spoke to EoN yesterday, pointed out how often I was in credit paying £45 and they had to pay me back! You used13-14 units a day in X month.

Been to compare site and quoted a lot less. Think EoN are aiming at always being in pocket, even during very cold periods! Naughty!

Use gas canisters for cooking and heating. Don't have hot water, Have no TV only a lap top, use low wattage bulbs! EoN are having a laugh, my son pays less for a 3 bed semi and gets refunds. Just saying so check if in doubt about your payments!
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Options
    Having spent most of the day trying to get through to call centre because I cannot believe this 30% price hike for a new tariff is correct, and if it is I want an explanation, I have been told by a manager that it's "a business decision" and I should "feel free to shop around".

This price hike is unethical. Absolutely disgusted by E.ON. Been a customer for years. Will now be switching. I thought the government had stopped this sort of increase in fuel bills, or was it discussed but nothing happened?
    Thanks Hengus,

Hello Sally286 and welcome to the Forums.

I'm sorry you struggled to talk to us. Our Fixed 1 Year version 19 Tariff was a heavily discounted product and was only available for a limited time. It guaranteed the unit rates and standing charges would be kept lower than our standard products for a full 12 months. Like many special offers, this had a limited shelf life and has now been replaced with products more in line with current market conditions.

We haven't increased our standard prices since January 15 and were able to lower gas prices in February 16. These prices are also guaranteed not to be increased until at least April 17. Over the last couple of years, we've been able to offer a series of discounted tariffs including a number of collectives. These have helped both existing and new customers save money on their energy usage. We're only able to do this at certain times and, at the moment, we're reviewing what we're able to offer and how we offer it.

We’re continually looking to develop our products to better suit a changing market. The aim is to freshen up our approach and to better understand the varying needs of our customers. Totally appreciate, this is probably of little use to you at this particular moment but we've made a start and I expect to see the results in the coming months.

As ever, Helena and I will be on hand for any advice or guidance needed.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    EON v21 is 46% more for me than the MSM EON collective tariff I'm currently on which runs out next March. :eek:
    ...but the explanation is simple -EON were much too successful in sweeping up the ~30% of the market who DO actively seek better deals -the Board don't want us anymore because we aren't profitable (or much less profitable than the sheep who never switch) and their bonuses are being depressed:rotfl:

Hello brewerdave.

Similarly to my post above in reply to Sally286, the E.ON MSM Collective was a heavily discounted tariff. It was a special offer and only available for a limited time. We're only able to offer these deals at certain times and are currently looking at the best way forward.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »
    To be fair, v19 does seem to have been an exceptionally good deal, I'm on it too and am anxiously watching the market for a replacement. v20 was more expensive and v21 is even worse.

If the last couple of years are any indication, there will be a flurry of new tariffs available for a short term around new year some bad, some good, some with leaving fees, some without, before settling on another 'nothing special' tariff like v20 (and v16 in 2015) until next Christmas.
    2015 had me on v15, then I was on v17, 18, & finally 19 over a short period of time (v18 lasted 2-3 days IIRC). I hope we'll see something similar before the current deal ends, but right now Scottish Power's 2018v2 flat rate* is looking like my best deal with 'only' a 20% increase on the annual cost rather than the 40% with E.on.

Also, bear in mind that I don't think Uswitch includes the £100 annual discount for DD+dual+paperless on E.on tariffs which can skew the results quite a bit depending on your usage.

*Why is it with all this regulation, when you tell energy companies you have a meter capable of dual rate they can show you only Economy 7 tariffs? Even if your day/night usage means they will be more expensive than flat rate? I had to lie about my address to EDF just to find out what the flat rate is (cheaper than E7 but still too expensive)

Hello Raxiel and welcome to the Forums.

Glad you've been able to take advantage of the various discounted deals we've had available over the past couple of years. You're right, version 18 was only available for sale for 2 days at the beginning of this year.

As above, we're currently reviewing our product range. At the moment, the only tariffs we've widely available are those on our website.

With us, customers with Economy 7 meters are able to switch between one and two rate tariffs. No need to change the meter. We add the day and night usage together and charge it all at the one rate. Customers registered with our website can make these switches and see the prices online.

Hope this is of interest.

Malc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure