Marks & Spencer Current Acccount £100 giftcard

Options

Comments

• surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    well bosie it was ok - sarnies and scones with tea. as free it was fine but no way would pay a tenner for it!

good luck with the £100 giftcard!

yeahright some of the £10 vouchers have short dates, but as they were off clothes/homeware and there was also 20% off home-ware so I bought a few kitchen items. the drinks ones are longer; but I have spent mine so can't check. anyone else know?
  • Glastoun
    Glastoun Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've used some hot drinks vouchers, and noticed that if you bought a drink for e.g. £2, and some food along with it, the voucher would still be taken as £2.66 payment. So the voucher seems to go towards the full cost of the transaction, not just the hot drink.

Has anyone tested whether the hot drinks vouchers are still valid after the account has been closed?

On a different note, while drinking the hot drink we noticed that of the other 30 people in the cafe, only two others were under 60, and they both worked behind the counter. :)
  • The_pc_tech
    The_pc_tech Posts: 422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I looked at this account myself as I put 50 quid aside each month from my food budget to spend on M&S food but it does look rather a lot of money to spend each month for hot drinks vouchers and not much else.
    Interests: PCs. servers, networks, mobiles and music (esp. trance)
  • surfsister
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I looked at this account myself as I put 50 quid aside each month from my food budget to spend on M&S food but it does look rather a lot of money to spend each month for hot drinks vouchers and not much else.

I've had the £100, - 3 £10 vouchers off clothes/leisure etc, 2 £10 off clothes so £150

plus:

4 hot drinks ( a tenner) and 2 cream teas (£20) So pleased!!

equals £180 and so far I've paid £15 charges.

:j:rotfl::T:beer::j:T:rotfl:
  • 7sefton
    7sefton Posts: 607 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've had my m&s current account for 28 days now, and I opened it just for the £100 gift card. The gift card hasn't arrived yet (nor any coffee vouchers...) but I don't want to pay fees for any longer than necessary.

So can I give notice to close the account now, safe in the knowledge that they still have to send me the vouchers?

Thanks!
  • surfsister
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    7sefton wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I've had my m&s current account for 28 days now, and I opened it just for the £100 gift card. The gift card hasn't arrived yet (nor any coffee vouchers...) but I don't want to pay fees for any longer than necessary.

So can I give notice to close the account now, safe in the knowledge that they still have to send me the vouchers?

Thanks!

have you paid any money in? Once I paid £30 in I received the gift-card. Try emailing them to check if the card has already been sent.
  • bangragal
    bangragal Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    I got the vouchers and gift card, but haven't paid anything in yet, have written to close account, assume they will tell me what needs to be paid in...reading the original terms & conditions again, it doesn't seem that they can ask for the giftcard back as long as the account has been opened 21 days which it has.
  • surfsister
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    chaotic_j wrote: »
    Hi all,

I received a letter from M&S Bank last week, already given them my account closure request so I was on the 30 day notice period - I'd already received two £10 vouchers to spend in-store and the £100 gift card.

The letter mentions three changes to their Banking Terms & Conditions, two of which take place on 1st April 2013 (clauses 17.6, 37.1) and another on 30th April 2013 (clause 10.3).

Interestingly, towards the bottom of the first page there is a paragraph which reads as follows "If, unfortunately you choose not to accept these changes you have the right to close your account at no charge by calling us on 0845 900 0900 before they take effect. As a valued customer we hope this is not the case.".

I rang up prior to 1st April and requested that my account be closed immediately.. looks like you might be able to do the same before 30th April, depending on how quickly you act you might be able to save yourself £15 or so..

msbanklet1.jpg msbanklet2.jpg

Interestingly I know of other relatives who have applied for this account, they haven't received their £100 gift card yet and they also didn't receive the letter above. In response to a complaint about why they weren't told about the removal/alterations of the clauses;

"As the changes are either beneficial to customers or have no impact on our customers, in line with the clause 29.3.3 we will be notifying customers within 30 days of the change.".

"There is only a requirement to notify customers in advance if the change is unfavourable to a customer." "Because of the date you applied for your account, you are not in the first batch of mailings but will receive your notification within 30 days of the 1st April."

Is this correct..?

Anyway, hope this helps somebody!

good tip thanks worked for me immediate closure so only paid one lot of £15 charges. Also drinks vouchers and gift card still work after the account is closed. If you get a tea with the drink voucher it also allows any food item up to 90p - cream bun, crisps etc.

A good offer all in all!! thanks op!
  • lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm glad others have benefitted from opening the account.

I paid £30 bank charges and received;

£100 giftcard
    Three £10 vouchers
    24 drinks vouchers which I sold on ebay for £28 after fees
    Plus 12 x 20% off clothes/home vouchers which were only available for 5 days and I completely forgot to use ....

Definitely worth doing overall :)
    Saving money right, left and centre
  • starM
    starM Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I did take advantage of M&S £100 giftcard offer last year. According to my credit report it account satisfied on 15/04/13.

They are currently offering £150 giftcard. £50 when you open up the account and £100 to switch the account.

Will I be entitled to giftcard again if apply and open up a new M&S account?

Regards
    MS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family