Marks & Spencer Current Acccount £100 giftcard

Options

Comments

• Michelle15
    Options
    What are the stipulations for the £100 gift card?
    And can you close the account as soon as you receive the card?
  • Glastoun
    Glastoun Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As far as I remember, open it, leave it at least 21 days (doublecheck this in the terms and conditions) then notify them that you want to cancel (by phone, letter (less chance of conflict) or in branch). They will close the account after 30 days. The card should arrive in 5-6 weeks. You'll have to pay two months of fees, so around £30, but I got £20 of store vouchers (with no minimum purchase, I'm pretty sure) along with a dozen or so drinks vouchers, and the £100 gift card.

(sorry (about all the (nested) brackets))
  • Starflower
    Starflower Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Received my £100 gift card today (together with 12 drinks vouchers & bag).

Also, sent a letter today asking for the account to be closed after the 30-day notice period.

My question - do I need to use the £100 gift card asap (before the account is closed) ? Or will the £100 still be on there after the account has been closed ?

I will probably use it within the 30-day notice period anyway, but can find nothing referring to this specifically in the T&Cs, so assume the gift card will still be valid.
  • Bosie
    Bosie Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got an email today to say they would open an account for me, also for reference I checked my Equifax and there was a search on there as Marks and Spencers financial services. Although it's linked to HSBC?

I use M&S a lot so might be cheaper for me the £15 a month!

Hope I get my £100 gift card!
  • chaotic_j
    chaotic_j Posts: 453 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

I received a letter from M&S Bank last week, already given them my account closure request so I was on the 30 day notice period - I'd already received two £10 vouchers to spend in-store and the £100 gift card.

The letter mentions three changes to their Banking Terms & Conditions, two of which take place on 1st April 2013 (clauses 17.6, 37.1) and another on 30th April 2013 (clause 10.3).

Interestingly, towards the bottom of the first page there is a paragraph which reads as follows "If, unfortunately you choose not to accept these changes you have the right to close your account at no charge by calling us on 0845 900 0900 before they take effect. As a valued customer we hope this is not the case.".

I rang up prior to 1st April and requested that my account be closed immediately.. looks like you might be able to do the same before 30th April, depending on how quickly you act you might be able to save yourself £15 or so..

msbanklet1.jpg msbanklet2.jpg

Interestingly I know of other relatives who have applied for this account, they haven't received their £100 gift card yet and they also didn't receive the letter above. In response to a complaint about why they weren't told about the removal/alterations of the clauses;

"As the changes are either beneficial to customers or have no impact on our customers, in line with the clause 29.3.3 we will be notifying customers within 30 days of the change.".

"There is only a requirement to notify customers in advance if the change is unfavourable to a customer." "Because of the date you applied for your account, you are not in the first batch of mailings but will receive your notification within 30 days of the 1st April."

Is this correct..?

Anyway, hope this helps somebody!
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bosie wrote: »
    I got an email today to say they would open an account for me, also for reference I checked my Equifax and there was a search on there as Marks and Spencers financial services. Although it's linked to HSBC?

I use M&S a lot so might be cheaper for me the £15 a month!

Hope I get my £100 gift card!

yes M and S have linked with HSBC and one can use their branches to carry out M and S bank transactions.
  • yeahright_2
    Options
    For someone who is not planning on closing the account soon after opening it:A, can anyone tell me if there are expiry dates or other restrictions/limitations on the vouchers, coffee coupons or giftcard? I am not a huge spender in M&S or coffee drinker but I do like cream teas! It could take me a while to get through them all.

What if you need to return something you have bought with the special vouchers or giftcard? (Is there a particular entry on the receipt to show how you paid?)

Also, is the giftcard offer still extended to applications before 30 April (no longer)?
  • Bosie
    Options
    surfsister wrote: »
    yes M and S have linked with HSBC and one can use their branches to carry out M and S bank transactions.

Thanks surfsister, got my paperwork today, I read through the T&C's and it says they check with HSBC systems as a check!

Do you receive the gift card once you have activated the debit card?
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bosie wrote: »
    Thanks surfsister, got my paperwork today, I read through the T&C's and it says they check with HSBC systems as a check!

Do you receive the gift card once you have activated the debit card?

Hi no once you pay in some money, any amount. So pay some in ASAP.

I've had the £100, - 3 £10 vouchers off clothes/leisure etc

4 hot drinks and 2 cream teas So pleased!!
  • Bosie
    Options
    surfsister wrote: »
    Hi no once you pay in some money, any amount. So pay some in ASAP.

I've had the £100, - 3 £10 vouchers off clothes/leisure etc

4 hot drinks and 2 cream teas So pleased!!

Thanks for that info and hope you enjoyed the cream teas:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport