We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I know it's different for you Rosa as people haven't even been able to get into houses to quote but if you're wanting things done I'd book in quotes asap. We're picking up a job that had to be bumped last year and the trade we got round is booked til July / Aug, and that's with being able to work. We're not in a terrible hurry and I'm taking it as a good sign that he's in demand. It seems people are diverting holiday funds to home projects with uncertainty about travel,  and people wfh more so demand for more perm home office set ups vs the kitchen table seem to be high priority. 
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Kerri
    So far nobody has said they're booked up and I've waited this long so can at least get on with painting things once a few more bits are sorted.  But will sort photos and things for quotes over the weekend. 
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • kerri_gt
    Options
    @Rosa That's good no one is saying they're booked up, I guess they haven't been able to book in jobs due to uncertainty of dates and suppliers being closed? I swear its as much, if not more work getting quotes than the actual job itself sometimes 🤷‍♀️
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    kerri_gt said:
    @Rosa That's good no one is saying they're booked up, I guess they haven't been able to book in jobs due to uncertainty of dates and suppliers being closed? I swear its as much, if not more work getting quotes than the actual job itself sometimes 🤷‍♀️
    Crikey yes, the hassle of sorting appointments and especially if you want more than one! 

• kerri_gt
    Options
    kerri_gt said:
    Crikey yes, the hassle of sorting appointments and especially if you want more than one! 

Honestly we've got to the stage of having a list of people we will call for XYZ jobs and for new jobs when people say 'did you get three quotes ' I'm like 'no, we're going with the one who turned up' 🙈
    Actually that's not true with this project really as we did get it priced out by a couple of people last year. I have since found the company we are planning to use.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    kerri_gt said:
    kerri_gt said:

Honestly we've got to the stage of having a list of people we will call for XYZ jobs and for new jobs when people say 'did you get three quotes ' I'm like 'no, we're going with the one who turned up' 🙈
    Actually that's not true with this project really as we did get it priced out by a couple of people last year. I have since found the company we are planning to use.
    I'm beginning to think similar, the amount of time it takes up to get more quotes doesn't necessarily get saved by having the comparison.  If I can find a few people who do ok, don't seem to be taking the p*** pricewise and turn up then I'll prioritise my sanity and stick with them. 

• Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    It is so hard, when I got the fence built it took six bloody weeks to get all the quotes done. This time I put a post up on the local group, and only one guy was interested and he ripped me off, I do hate trying to hire people. 
    Lots of luck with it all XX 
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • kerri_gt
    Options
    We learned the hard way that CheckaTrade is utter nonsense, people just pay to be on it. 
    I swear if I was back at school age I'd train in a trade and not some useless uni degree.
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    kerri_gt said:
    We learned the hard way that CheckaTrade is utter nonsense, people just pay to be on it. 
    I swear if I was back at school age I'd train in a trade and not some useless uni degree.
    I seriously think the best option would be to have both, so you can do either academic/ management or go self employed depending what works for you at the time.  When I was back in the land of insane house prices friends and I considered each doing semi-pro training in different areas of DIY so that we could pool skills. 
    Here it's taking me a while to adjust to the idea that I don't necessarily need to keep thinking about adding value and living here for the rest of my life because there's a point where it's simpler to just buy a different house ... which before was out of reach without a lottery win, we all bought the max we could get on the mortgage and stretched spare cash to adapt it.  

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    Sunday shuffling... and the picture today depends on timing.  Thanks to the unexpected work bill I am uncomfortably low on funds and will be until the end of April when they should pay me that back.  Also still waiting on overtime but hoping it will turn up this month. 
    Counting it all in (by fidding my YNAB dates) I am actually in the black despite paying for some work on the house and puppy costs. April pay should hopefully cover further work on the house and garden, and I'm beginning to finally think there might be an end in sight - I will need to use May money, but after that perhaps I could slow things down and look at some things being done in the autumn and for next spring rather than right now.  And that's a relief, since this whole moving situation has taken about 18 months longer than I had hoped.  
    That also means I may not make my targets on paying off the CC as fast as I'd hoped... so will be looking to transfer it and pay off asap. 
    I think I'm going to do a YNAB Fresh Start when my Natwide account kicks in... spring cleaning must have got me :)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport