We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello @MuffinTops, welcome!  Lots being going on here, well lots given lockdown!

Washing machine is not leaking or at least not any more, thank goodness.  Account switch has gone through ok.  Found an invoice I had forgotten about though, oops.  And filed last years stuff so am a little more organised in the office. 

I don't think I will get the garden sorted this week after all, decided I need chill time and it can wait a little longer.  No idea when I will get other work sorted as more plastering may be required than I initially thought.  But none of it is currently desperate and the longer it takes the more money comes in. 

Plans... for April
    • Untangle money things this month, so that things should be in the black and amounts clear from payday. 
    • Transfer 0% CC. 
    • Finish reshuffling stuff in house, so that things are in the right rooms even if the room decor isn't finished.
    • Get quotes for necessary work and book in if possible. 

That's quite enough to keep me out of trouble with everything else going on :D

RB xx

Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Phew.  I'm all caught up for this year now.  Thanks to your recommendation I've placed a Cooks order as I'm struggling with finding foods I like without meat.  They supply my farm shop and I've loved the foods I've had from there, so am looking forward to having some simple meals ready to cook.  Thank you.

I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely cat.  Like you said, in a new house you won't have the constant reminders of favourite places etc.

I love that you now have a dog.  How is she doing?  Those zoomies are so endearing.

Congratulations on your move and everything that's gone with that.  It's been a bit eye opening reading about it all as I now have it all to look forward to.

I also had to do a YNAB fresh start and get to grips with it's new little ways!

MTxx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Phew.  I'm all caught up for this year now.  Thanks to your recommendation I've placed a Cooks order as I'm struggling with finding foods I like without meat.  They supply my farm shop and I've loved the foods I've had from there, so am looking forward to having some simple meals ready to cook.  Thank you.

I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely cat.  Like you said, in a new house you won't have the constant reminders of favourite places etc.

I love that you now have a dog.  How is she doing?  Those zoomies are so endearing.

Congratulations on your move and everything that's gone with that.  It's been a bit eye opening reading about it all as I now have it all to look forward to.

I also had to do a YNAB fresh start and get to grips with it's new little ways!

MTxx

Thanks MT

It's been a bit of a year an interesting last couple of years - obviously the last year has been traumatic for everybody but it was already weird for me after the move.  I'm not sure if that has made it better or worse or both in different ways.  However, in several directions I am now much closer to having things the way I wanted so fingers crossed that things will get simpler as lockdown eases. 

Dog is doing well, although I'm not sure endearing is quite the word I'm using for zoomies atm... it's a bit exhausting when they happen 3 times a day!

RB xx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Super quick Sunday shuffle report...

Well, I am still looking at a chunk of April's pay needed to cover this month but that's with a lot of new costs for the dog and also some necessary stuff for the house.  So I don't feel it's doing badly. 

I've already been approved in principle for a new 0% card and am copying transactions from the old current account to the new one.  I decided not to do a fresh start after all, as I've got YNAB pretty much how I want it already.  There are probably ways of copying my categories etc if I look on the support pages but it doesn't seem worth the time - I will just close the old account at the end of the month. 

I've made some progress on work in the house - not as much as I hoped, but I was probably being over optimistic as usual!  Very proud of myself for managing to order and use the right adapter bit to use my drill as a screwdriver - I was getting very fed up with the amount of time and RSI with building flatpacks entirely by hand.  Furniture is now all sorted, I have one more shelf to go up in the utility room and need to look for a couple more for in there and the kitchen, but it's nearly there.  One lot of blinds to go up, but the last one worked ok, and a curtain rail.  I've moved my stuff into the right bedroom now, even if it isn't decorated, so everything is getting flung in the spare room and I can sort that gradually since it can't be used for at least another few weeks.  It feels like everything has taken sooooo long, but then that is because I haven't had time off work since the original move and it's really hard to fit everything around the job. 

So I guess for April the first two things are crossed off :)  still working on the others. 

RB xx
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    It really sounds like you are doing brilliantly Rosa! Like really.

My dogs "helped" with the gardening today - even at 9 years old they still do Zoomies. Today's involved mud..... 

XXx

Nevertheless she persisted.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    @RosaBernicia i know what you mean about everything taking longer than expected. I think I feel I should have achieved more over the past year but like you, I've worked through and had very little holiday so feeling very burnt out. Had today off (haircut - hurrah!) and meant to finish some DIY this afternoon,  ended up with a 2hr 'nap' instead. I obv needed it. 

Well done on the things you have done,  it's always so satisfying isn't it achieving it yourself.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    It really sounds like you are doing brilliantly Rosa! Like really.

My dogs "helped" with the gardening today - even at 9 years old they still do Zoomies. Today's involved mud..... 

XXx

It feels painfully slow from where I'm standing but you're right, it's all going ok  :)

• MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello Rosa,

Yay to being approved for the 0%.  That should help the monthly repayments.  I'm finding YNAB's new (to me) additions so I'm with you on wondering if you should fresh start or stick with it.

It sounds to me that with full time working and a new doggy to look after you're doing great on crossing the items off the list.

I hope you're having a good week and able to enjoy some sunshine today.

MTxx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Thanks @MuffinTops

If you are getting used to the 'new' YNAB it might be worth watching some of the videos - I have seen a few but for now it would be marginal gain so I'm putting off tweaking until I reach another 'review' point. 

This week is going ok - still settling into life with the pup and we are both learning about her training.  She can't go out just yet and I am trying not to leave her for too long - we will build up - so neither of us will really be going anywhere for another few days.  But I think I can make more progress with the house on the weekend, and that will mean we're closer to sorted for when we can finally go out. 

Hope your week is also going well
    RB xx

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    Belated Sunday shuffle report...

Well, not really any change on the money front.  Not a fun weekend either - going to have to revisit some boundaries with certain people. 

RB xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family