We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Things look like they're improving for you Rosa?  I'm the same with the credit cards.  For my small needs I think I'm figuring it out.
    How's life with a new puppy now you're more settled?  Is he a good companion?
    I'm with kerri_gt that I think the van will start to be a major boost for you, especially now you have a puppy.  I really hope you get to enjoy it properly soon.
    I'm still hunting for dancing girl emoji's as I need my Hump Day dancers back.  I found one but couldn't get it to load properly on here.
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,894 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kerri_gt said:
    I'm sure the van hasn't been a waste,  it's ready and waiting for when you can get good use of it.  I imagine with lots of people looking to stay in the UK more vans are at a premium. 
    They are Kerri, selling for mad money.  I did wonder about selling it on but it's a bit of the case of the devil you know.  I don't think I'd get anything like it for reasonable money and at least I know its history and that the issues it came with are now fixed.  It's going to need maintenance work but they all do when they're old, and the next price band up is beyond what I want to pay unless I decided to trade in both the car and van for a much newer MPV conversion as my daily drive.  Can't be helped, really, so will just see how we go this year. 

Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Things look like they're improving for you Rosa?  I'm the same with the credit cards.  For my small needs I think I'm figuring it out.
    How's life with a new puppy now you're more settled?  Is he a good companion?
    I'm with kerri_gt that I think the van will start to be a major boost for you, especially now you have a puppy.  I really hope you get to enjoy it properly soon.
    I'm still hunting for dancing girl emoji's as I need my Hump Day dancers back.  I found one but couldn't get it to load properly on here.
    Yes, starting to look up at bit now that I can get the house actually sorted.  Putting boundaries back with certain people has really lowered my stress level too. 
    Puppy is brilliant, a bit of an adjustment but we're settling into routine now.  She's lovely company and a great way to get moving both around the house and walking.  I'm hoping we can run together too once she's grown enough. 

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    Sunday shuffle and catch up...
    Well the budget isn't looking great, I will be into next paycheque for puppy food and for a pair of jeans plus anything else I decide to actually keep from my first clothes order in ages.  At a very annoying stage of being right at the top of my usual size but not quite into the next one and toning up with the dog walking so that things already fit differently.  Also suddenly remembered that van insurance is due so must call for quotes on that tomorrow.  And I've put aside enough to cover my gas and electric, which is still high as we've had a cold snap, even though I haven't volunteered to actually hand it to the energy company yet (and won't until they ask). 
    I think I've found a different dog food option which should be high quality but is a bit cheaper and is available from a pet shop nearby, which will make it easier to stock up bit by bit.  So that will reduce costs there.  Also hoping my insurance will be lower on car and van, and am finally beginning to cook a bit more so hopefully the groceries bill will come down. 
    Nothing very exciting to report this weekend, decided to try and focus on more house sorting as all being well I have friends visiting at the start of June and am hoping I can get the guest bedroom painted, even if not the other rooms, by then.  So some sorting yesterday, today had to wait in for a replacement tumble dryer (don't buy B3k0, definitely not recommended, but pleased to find AO did sort it and in the end it only cost me an additional £30 for a different, more ethical and more recommended brand in a colour which matches the kitchen better, so good result in the end).  More sorting and put up curtain brackets only to find I have the wrong pole and a non functional tension rod, so will be off to do returns tomorrow.  There is still wallpaper stripping to be done and a few other bits to sort, not to mention the state of the garden, but I feel I've made a bit of progress. 
    A major deadline is about sorted at work, so that frees up some brain space and I'm SO looking forward to seeing my friends.  Hoping to also go away and must start looking for somewhere to take the mog. 
    Hope everyone else is having a good though perhaps more exciting weekend :D
    RB xx

• moneyonmymindsam
    moneyonmymindsam Posts: 2,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you have made masses of progress  B) at home and great news about the work deadline easing. 

Think that sounds fab, get out to see friends and have something to eat where you can  B)

I'm in my cash in phase - starting to claim back tax relief working from home plus any cashback I can, I've managed to convert cashback to T3sco vouchers and a fleabay voucher.
    Only very small amounts and now everything's empty lol. Good news about dog food I am always looking for better prices without compromising quality. 
    Sam x

Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    I finally got my overtime money!
    And it was more than twice what I expected!
    So that's resolved the overspend for this month, despite road tax and vehicle insurance and house stuff and puppy spending. So pleased.  [where's the twirly Martin emoji gone?  :( ]
    Proper shuffle later in the weekend!
    RB  xx
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Brilliant news 👏 what a relief for you too.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• RosaBernicia
    Options
    Well it's lucky the overtime money did come through, this weekend got a bit detoured as yesterday it looked like I was going to have to rush off for hospital visiting.  Fortunately it turned out not to be necessary but did mean that I stocked up in M&S rather than sorting deliveries or cooking, and reshuffled this weekend's chores and some orders.  Am getting so fed up with endless house chores - it feels like I'm still moving house six months on, which I suppose is true as it's only now that I can get to actual stores to choose paint and fabrics etc.  I also need to get the van ready to take away (fortunately I don't think there's much to do there except freshen it up) and to spend some more time on pup's training - she is mostly very good and I have been prioritising habits in the house, but now that she's growing up and not obviously a small puppy she needs to have better manners on the lead and meeting people.  I might see if I can take a half day this week to get some things sorted - much as I resent wasting the leave, I want things done before visitors come and it's getting impossible to cram everything into evening shifts or lunchtime trips now that those need to include dog walking.  I'm making progress, but it still feels slow. 
    MSE wise things are looking ok, particularly as some of the work on the house can't be done until after I go away.  That means it can be funded from June and July paycheques, and the garden work will be July/ August.  I want the roof checked in September/ October, and will think about other bits and pieces in the autumn but those are less urgent.  Once the house is mostly sorted then hopefully I can start saving again. 
    So looking forward to seeing friends... fingers crossed it can all still go ahead. 
    Hope everyone is ok out there
    RB xx
  • moneyonmymindsam
    moneyonmymindsam Posts: 2,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All sounds good and so pleased for you that the overtime came through being more than you expected.
    Enjoy anytime you have with friends - don't put too much pressure on yourself re:the house, it will still be there when you get back. I agree everything being closed is probably why you still feel like your moving in 6 months later.
    Be so nice to have a garden for the summer woo hoo. 
    Sam xx
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Well I have just learned that pressure washers don't come with the connectors you need to actually use them - that was an expensive mistake, as it's too late to return the darn thing - I got totally distracted by other house stuff.  And the connectors are not only £50 apiece but one of them is out of stock even on Amazon.  Furious.  Nothing to be done about it though, I still do need one in the long term and it wouldn't be any cheaper to buy a different one.  In future I'll try and remember to balance well known brand with best reviews though. 
    Have managed to tidy van a bit today and beginning to feel like progress is happening.  Visitor and holiday plans developing  :smile:
    Must go eat something as will help be less cross!
    RB xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family