Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CEDR can't force them to provide proof but if easyJet refuses to do so, CEDR will almost certainly find in your favour. Remember, the onus is in easyJet to prove that extraordinary circumstances obtained, not for you to prove the opposite. If you file a claim, make sure to highlight that you have been given several different reasons for the cancellation. If you have it in writing that the flight was cancelled for technical reasons make sure to submit this as well.
  • Joe66
    Joe66 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks both,

I'll give CEDR a go 1st then as I do have records of all communication with EJ
  • jpsartre
    Options
    Good luck and keep us updated.
  • Dansam
    Dansam Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi All
    My family of 4 booked a holiday to Florence booked via Citalia who took care of flights hotels and transfers. Outbound EasyJet flight no problem. However the night before we were return home, our hotel advised that a transport strike was affecting a lot of flights from Pisa. We quickly checked the easyJet site and it said that the flight was cancelled. The next available flight back to Bristol was three days later on Monday. This was too late for us as we all had to work.
    There was a link to request an overnight hotel near the airport, that we requested. We didn’t opt to transfer flights as three days was way too long
    EasyJet sent a text to say that we had been booked in to a “4 star” hotel near the airport and that they would cover meals and accommodation costs.
    We took the decision to try to find another flight to the nearest airport to our home as possible. This was London Heathrow with BA, other budget airline flights to Stansted and Luton were all booked. We booked 4 BA tickets for a flight leaving Pisa on Saturday. We pre booked a hire car so that we could get home and arranged to return the car to Bristol Airport so that we could collect our car.
    A few days after returning home, we filled in a online claim form (I’d like to email or phone them but nobody from EasyJet will let me have their contact info)
    They responded saying that as we declined to accept the flight transfer, our claim which included, flights, car hire, fuel and the extra parking charge for my car at Bristol
    They said that they had applied the relevan EU reg by offering an alternative flight within “a reasonable time”.
    I’ve been advised by my insurance brokers that within 36 hours is a reasonable time, 72 isn’t

I’d appreciate you’re comments and any contact info you have for EasyJet
  • jpsartre
    edited 27 March 2019 at 7:38PM
    Options
    Take it to CEDR (you'll need to get easyJet to write you a deadlock letter). I'd be surprised if they don't find that easyJet should cover your costs of rerouting yourself given the circumstances. Only thing you'll probably struggle to get are extra parking charges you incurred at Bristol Airport. You might be able to claim that on your travel insurance.

https://www.cedr.com/consumer/aviation/
  • Lalaxbx
    Lalaxbx Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Further update......

In total shock that the money from EJ arrived in my account today, I was expecting a lengthy wait or another fight to actually get it 🎉
  • Dansam
    First Post
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    Take it to CEDR (you'll need to get easyJet to write you a deadlock letter). I'd be surprised if they don't find that easyJet should cover your costs of rerouting yourself given the circumstances. Only thing you'll probably struggle to get are extra parking charges you incurred at Bristol Airport. You might be able to claim that on your travel

If I could get the flight money and car hire I wouldn’t worry about the additional car park. Just flights and car hire is £1600

Do you have any contact info for easyJet claims
  • Dansam
    First Post
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    Take it to CEDR (you'll need to get easyJet to write you a deadlock letter). I'd be surprised if they don't find that easyJet should cover your costs of rerouting yourself given the circumstances. Only thing you'll probably struggle to get are extra parking charges you incurred at Bristol Airport. You might be able to claim that on travel insurance.

What about the extraordinary circumstances they keep throwing at me

Btw
    Travel insurance won’t pay because the airport was not closed
  • jpsartre
    Options
    Extraordinary circumstances only matter wrt cash compensation. Your rights to care and rerouting apply regardless of why your flight was cancelled. Contact EJ through their webform.
  • Dansam
    First Post
    Options
    I have contact EJ through the web form a few times but they keep saying that they’ve offered an alternative flight therefore they’ve met their responsibilities even 5ho the alternative flight was three days later than 5he original flight.
    The web form does not allow for comments outside of the choices the stipulate
    Hence the request for other ways to contact EJ
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure