Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• travellingred
    Options
    Hi

I flew from Prague to Manchester on EZY1802 on 25th March. The flight was delayed 2 hours due to Easyjet reallocating aircraft. It arrived in Manchester at 00.43 in the morning, after the last train had departed from the airport station for the night.

I know that the delay wasn't long enough for the statutory compensation to kick in, however has anyone had any success in getting Easyjet to reimburse taxi fares incurred due to my inability to use my train ticket as a result of the delay?

Thanks!
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unlikley. Point to point airlines like EJ are not known for their goodwill. Their responsibilty ends at the point when you step off the aircraft.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • attila_
    attila_ Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, I was one of the unfortunate 15,000 people that were caught on the fiasco at Stansted Airport on the 30 March 2018. A bus caught fire at the entrance and after 5-6 hours all flights were cancelled.

The confusion was like nothing I'd seen before.

I was booked on an Easyjet flight to Naples which was cancelled. The easyjet staff said at the airport to go through the easyjet website and all claims and expenses would be refunded including staying at hotels etc.

I managed to book a flight for the next day. I submitted a compensation claim for the original cost of the flight and the response I had is as follows:

Claim decision: Declined
    Decision summary: We’re sorry that your flight to Naples was cancelled. Our assessment and legal team has carefully reviewed your claim and the circumstances around your flight and have confirmed that your compensation claim is not eligible for compensation payment under EU Regulation EU261/2004. Please note that this may not match with the information you were given on the day of travel, as our staff in airports, and on-board, may not have had all the information concerning your cancelled flight.

Surely Easyjet should be able to claim against Stansted Airport? Is there any way I can challenge their decision?

Thank you
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    attila_ wrote: »
    I submitted a compensation claim for the original cost of the flight and the response I had is as follows:
    maybe they thought you were claiming EU261 compensation (which would not apply) rather than a refund of your original ticket for the cancelled flight, which you are clearly entitled to.
    Expenses during the delay are covered under EU261 Duty of Care so this is what would be reimbursed but no fixed fee compensation from he airline
  • attila_
    Options
    Ah thank you very much! Indeed I have clicked refund on the easyjet and it just says refund pending. It just thought this compensation would override the refund.

In terms of claiming expenses - I had an hotel for the night but had to buy alternative flights to get to my destination in time which cost significantly more than the original ones which I hope to get a refund.

What are the chances of being able to claim the for the additional cost incurred due to the cancellation?
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a matter for your insurance. The airline is hardly to blame for an airport bus catching fire
  • attila_
    edited 14 April 2018 at 8:25AM
    Options
    Quite, however I don!!!8217;t have any agreements directly with the airport. My agreement (the ticket) is with easyjet. They will surely have contracts with the airport that allows them to take off and land at that airport. I can!!!8217;t imagine they can just take off/land as they please without Stansted being paid.

So its not their fault but they weren!!!8217;t able to honour their flights to passengers, therefore I!!!8217;d expect easyjet to claim against Stansted and it will be a matter for their insurance.

Unfortunately I didn't take out travel insurance which I accept in hindsight was a mistake and probably not much I can do.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    attila_ wrote: »
    So its not their fault but they weren't able to honour their flights to passengers, therefore I'd expect easyjet to claim against Stansted and it will be a matter for their insurance.

Claim what? EasyJet are not liable to pay delay compensation under EU regulations. If they did, it would be a goodwill gesture. You can't expect Stansted airport to cover a goodwill gesture made by somebody else.
  • helenar
    helenar Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all,

I wondered if you could help. Recently I was on a business trip to Vienna with EasyJet. On my return to the UK, the flight was severely delayed for nine hours. It was snowing where the airport here was opened and closed intermittently, trying to cope with the level of snow. However, on the text messages and EasyJet website, it said that the delay was due to the welfare of the crews, where the stand-by crew member took some time to reach the airport.

At the airport, we were only given a 5 Euros voucher. I had to spend an additional 15 Euros for food and drinks – bearing in mind Vienna isn’t cheap! On the plane, we were only entitled to soft drinks and snacks like Kit Kat. The treatment was poor.

I recently made a claim to EasyJet and they said that because of the weather conditions (and not because the fact that they had to replace the crew) they wouldn’t be able to pay me any compensation.

The question is – do they have the right to turn down the compensation claim? Is it worth escalating the complaint to CEDR and pay £25 for the fees?

Many thanks :)
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.
    You should really re-post on the easyjet thread. With more details of your flight- dates. flight number, delay etc.
    Making your own new thread makes the forum very difficult to navigate.
    Thanks
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family