Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• GREGWHEATLEY
    Options
    Hi all

I am after some advice please.

My wife (5 months pregnant) and our 2 year old daughter were travelling back from Northern Ireland (visiting family) on 15th August to Birmingham on Flight EZY197. They were due to depart at 20:15pm that evening.

Fast track a few hours and my wife was informed that the flight was delayed due to Aircrew not being available and therefore they had to fly Aircrew in from Luton to take all the passengers back home. It reached midnight and my wife who was upset, pregnant and with our little girl still had no confirmation of when the flight would depart. I told her to call her Dad and stay another night in Northern Ireland at her parents house. She did and we booked on, and paid for, a flight the following evening at the same time. The planned flight on 15th August didn't arrive until 4.45am the following day! That's a delay of 7 hours and 25 minutes!! There is no way my wife could be expected to stay that long with a little girl.

EasyJet actually handed out a compensation form to my wife and stated at the time she would be entitled to compensation. I still have the leaflet and it specifically states "If your flight is delayed for at least 5 hours you will be entitled to reimbursement of that flight should you choose not to fly set out in section 2(a)"

Now section 2(a) states that you are able to obtain 'reimbursement of the cancelled flight'.

Well our flight was actually delayed until the following day so another paragraph states that 'If your flight is delayed to the day after the original flight departure time, you will be entitled to the rights set out under section 3(b) and 3(c).

These sections state: 3(b) - 'reimbursement for the part or parts of your journey already made if the flight no longer serves any purpose in relation to your original travel plans, together with, where relevant, a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity; or'
    3(c) - 're-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to your final destination at the earliest opportunity'.

Now initially we were told by EasyJet that we would be entitled to 450Euros compensation and we have that in a written email. Then when we chased payment we were told this is a mistake and we are not entitled to anything given my partner and daughter didn't take the flight. This seems absolutely disgusting and I assume they're just trying to wriggle out of it. The clear hard facts are:

1) Planned Flight didn't depart until the following day with over 7 hours delayed arrival time
    2) My partner chose not to take the flight due to delay and being pregnant and with our little daughter
    3) EasyJet are refusing compensation as she didn't take the flight.

I assume we could of also claimed hotel expenses given it states that if your flight was delayed or cancelled overnight and you had to travel the following day then you are entitled to "meals and refreshments in proportion to waiting time, hotel accommodation and transport between the airport and hotel, where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, and two telephone calls, or telex, or fax messages or emails.

EasyJet are clearly not playing ball here and I believe we are entitled to full compensation. Really looking for your advices as to how to best approach this please.

Many thanks
    Greg
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    sheep69 wrote: »
    Have searched the 2000 plus posts and didn't find my seemingly unique issue:

Plans were to fly EDI to Stanstead and Stanstead to Ljubjiana, both with easyjet, however, EDI to London flight was delayed and landed 2.5 hours late, so we missed our connection to Slovenia. Our connection time was 2.5 hours too.

Easyjet did manage to get us on another flight (next available) two days later, so we had to spend two nights in London, but they said that as they were a point to point carrier, were not responsible for anything other than getting us there on the next available flight. We had accommodation in Ljubljana that we were already paying for and also had to find accommodation in London and getting there and back from the airport.

Easyjet claim system does not appear to work for this - should it?

They only needed to hold the flight for 40 mins so the 14 people on the EDI flight could make it!!

They also took a flight off of us to redirect to Dubrovnic as we were queuing for it too, that would have made our connection :/

So briefly, Easyjet flight was 2.5 hrs late leading to us missing our Easyjet connection and causing a 2 day delay, all on same booking ref - can I claim?

Cheers

You didn't have a connecting flight. They are only point to point and don't sell connecting flights. You had 2 separate tickets that just happened to be with the same airline. They only have to be get you to and from the destinations on each ticket. 2.5 hrs on separate tickets isn't enough time. They didn't actually have to get you on another flight unless you had booked and paid for missed flight cover. They could have made you pay for a new ticket.

They can't hold flights. It would end up with people on that flight also missing out on onward travel, and they'd have another delayed flight.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Hi all

I am after some advice please.

My wife (5 months pregnant) and our 2 year old daughter were travelling back from Northern Ireland (visiting family) on 15th August to Birmingham on Flight EZY197. They were due to depart at 20:15pm that evening.

Fast track a few hours and my wife was informed that the flight was delayed due to Aircrew not being available and therefore they had to fly Aircrew in from Luton to take all the passengers back home. It reached midnight and my wife who was upset, pregnant and with our little girl still had no confirmation of when the flight would depart. I told her to call her Dad and stay another night in Northern Ireland at her parents house. She did and we booked on, and paid for, a flight the following evening at the same time. The planned flight on 15th August didn't arrive until 4.45am the following day! That's a delay of 7 hours and 25 minutes!! There is no way my wife could be expected to stay that long with a little girl.

EasyJet actually handed out a compensation form to my wife and stated at the time she would be entitled to compensation. I still have the leaflet and it specifically states "If your flight is delayed for at least 5 hours you will be entitled to reimbursement of that flight should you choose not to fly set out in section 2(a)"

Now section 2(a) states that you are able to obtain 'reimbursement of the cancelled flight'.

Well our flight was actually delayed until the following day so another paragraph states that 'If your flight is delayed to the day after the original flight departure time, you will be entitled to the rights set out under section 3(b) and 3(c).

These sections state: 3(b) - 'reimbursement for the part or parts of your journey already made if the flight no longer serves any purpose in relation to your original travel plans, together with, where relevant, a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity; or'
    3(c) - 're-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to your final destination at the earliest opportunity'.

Now initially we were told by EasyJet that we would be entitled to 450Euros compensation and we have that in a written email. Then when we chased payment we were told this is a mistake and we are not entitled to anything given my partner and daughter didn't take the flight. This seems absolutely disgusting and I assume they're just trying to wriggle out of it. The clear hard facts are:

1) Planned Flight didn't depart until the following day with over 7 hours delayed arrival time
    2) My partner chose not to take the flight due to delay and being pregnant and with our little daughter
    3) EasyJet are refusing compensation as she didn't take the flight.

I assume we could of also claimed hotel expenses given it states that if your flight was delayed or cancelled overnight and you had to travel the following day then you are entitled to "meals and refreshments in proportion to waiting time, hotel accommodation and transport between the airport and hotel, where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, and two telephone calls, or telex, or fax messages or emails.

EasyJet are clearly not playing ball here and I believe we are entitled to full compensation. Really looking for your advices as to how to best approach this please.

Many thanks
    Greg

Once you walk away the airlines duty of care ends. Your wife chose not to take the flight, or ask the airline to change it to a flight the following day. If she'd have waited until the delay was 5 hrs she could have cancelled with Easyjet while at the airport and claimed a refund. You can't claim compensation or duty of care expenses for a flight you don't take.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2017 at 10:38PM
    Options
    As the poster states after 5 hours delay you are entitled to re-imbursment.
    The passenger had already waited nearly 4 hours and at that point, still no indication of a departure time time, not boarded etc, one could reasonably assume that the flight is delayed at least 5 hours.
    GREGW - did any paper work given to your wife by EJ layout all her rights, and the obligations of EJ, in terms of compensation, refreshments, accommodation, refunds, re-routing? I suspect not.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi GregWheatley,

Leylandsunaddict is quite right, however.

Once her flight has been delayed for 2 - 3 hours your wife should have been informed of the exact options open to her under the EC261 regulations. It's not clear from your post exactly how long she was delayed before making her own arrangements, but the point is, she should have been given accurate information by the airline. Then she could make an informed decision about what options were open to her.

If she wasn't informed, as per the regulations, she may still have a case. The fact that she was pregnant and with a small child should have ensured that the airline gave her some extra priority. I would not expect your wife and child to have to wait for 7 hours plus, for a delayed flight, that is just unreasonable by any measure. The correct compensation amount should be €250 x2 if they qualify.

Much could also depend upon what she informed EJ and when.

The best option open to her now, imo, would be to ask EJ to refer her claim to CEDR and present all the above information to them. It's not clear cut, but it is worth a go.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    sheep69 wrote: »
    Have searched the 2000 plus posts and didn't find my seemingly unique issue:

Plans were to fly EDI to Stanstead and Stanstead to Ljubjiana, both with easyjet, however, EDI to London flight was delayed and landed 2.5 hours late, so we missed our connection to Slovenia. Our connection time was 2.5 hours too.

Easyjet did manage to get us on another flight (next available) two days later, so we had to spend two nights in London, but they said that as they were a point to point carrier, were not responsible for anything other than getting us there on the next available flight. We had accommodation in Ljubljana that we were already paying for and also had to find accommodation in London and getting there and back from the airport.

Easyjet claim system does not appear to work for this - should it?

They only needed to hold the flight for 40 mins so the 14 people on the EDI flight could make it!!

They also took a flight off of us to redirect to Dubrovnic as we were queuing for it too, that would have made our connection :/

So briefly, Easyjet flight was 2.5 hrs late leading to us missing our Easyjet connection and causing a 2 day delay, all on same booking ref - can I claim?

Cheers

I have to ask, how do you think holding up another flight for 40 minuted is fair?
    Surely then more people would miss onwards connections - how would you feel if you were told your departure was delayed for 40 minutes so others could board from a late flight, knowing you’d then miss your onward connection because of this?
  • JPears
    Options
    Also EJ wouldnt necessarily know you had the connection to make.

• Fridaydalek
    Options
    My flight home from Nice was cancelled back in August. There was some contradictory information given out by easyJet staff at the time, but after getting back to the UK a call to customer services helped sort it all out. Long story short, the cancelled flight was refunded, and additional costs (replacement travel home by Eurostar, meals & transfers) were all covered as well. That's on top of easyJet arranging an extra night's hotel accommodation and taxi to get us there on the night of the cancelled flight. So, all things considered :money:

But, I had a call from my insurer, asking how things had gone, so I filled them in. They told me I could make a claim on their policy too :T But they needed written confirmation of the cancellation from easyJet, including how long it would have been before a replacement flight (ie, if we hadn't opted for Eurostar next day, what was the next flight we were offered?) At Nice airport at the time, the easyJet staff told us the soonest they could get us on a replacement was four days later than scheduled - I guess because we were at the back of the queue, and others passengers from our cancelled flight got earlier replacements. First come, first served.

So I requested this written confirmation from easyJet, it took a few weeks but the email arrived this morning. It acknowledges the flight was cancelled "due to ATC restrictions" but doesn't confirm the length of the delay, and what's more says we were "no shows" for the return flight :mad:

OK, so I'm not out of pocket, and plenty of people in this thread are having bigger problems with easyJet, but I resent the no show bit, especially as my family were stuck in an airport queue for seven hours!

So, anyone got experience or advice on this? Do I forward the email to my insurer and hope for the best, or get back to easyJet?
  • JPears
    Options
    I doubt its worth the effort, unless you have an expensive premium policy, what you get for the delay isn't going to be very much.
    They are not going to reimburse you anything else in costs, as you got those from EJ.

• RibZed
    RibZed Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I'm just after some 'quick' advice/feedback on EasyJet Expense Claims please.

We (3 couples in a party of 6) put in 3 x fully receipted claims in October for reasonable expenses incurred over 3 days following a cancelled flight during the French ATC strike. We paid for our own return flights, hotel, meals and taxis as EJ had nothing on offer for a week.

All 3 claims have been agreed/confirmed by EJ - but all 3 of them have been reduced (mine substantially) from 20% (£70) up to 33% (£550). No explanation has been provided other than they only reimburse 'comparable costs' - a phrase they don't seem to use anywhere on their website and don't expand upon.

This statement is clearly not true as the hotel invoices on all 3 claims are identical - yet my claim, the largest of the 3 due to me paying for the return flights - has been 'reimbursed' £30 less than the other 2 claims? I spent slightly more on meals...yet have been reimbursed £10 less (despite their website stating they'll give £25 subsistence per person)?

I'm assuming EJ incentivise their team by making them reduce all claims by at least 20% - does anyone know if this is how they operate? Or does anyone have access to/has seen the mysterious 'comparable costs'? Our claim was not extortionate, we removed all alcohol from the claim in advance and the hotel charges were within the £85 they refer to on their website. I also dislike EJ's approach where they TELL you what they are reimbursing, offer no explanation as to any differences and then just dump the money in your account as if that's all finished with - then refuse to correspond further IRO the case!

Aside from the general queries above, please can I ask for advice on:

- CEDR vs Small Claim - I'm inclined to go down the latter route as it's only £60? (as the underpaid total across the 3 claims is around £600)

- Can additional car parking costs be claimed or could it be argued this is a 'consequential loss'? Seems a bit rough when it is a direct cancellation expense which can be fully receipted (unlike loss of earnings or other opportunity losses/costs intended to be covered by EU compensation)

Anyway, apologies if the above items have been discussed ad-infinitum over the last 4 years of this thread - I did a quick search but there's a lot of results!

Thanks in advance for your advice - and happy to share my experiences further if anyone is interested
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback