Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• Davidsona90
    Options
    Hi all, some advice needed.

My Bristol>Belfast flight got cancelled yesterday morning due to them having to reroute our plane to make up for the previous day's strike.

Unable to wait until their alternative of the next day (in the evening!), we had to book separate flights from Exeter and travel down by train. In total the cost was approx £180. We will only be receiving a refund of £50 for our flights.

We were not flying over French airspace and the strike was over. It's rather evident that they calculated our flight to be most cost effective and chose to cancel it.

They still claim it to be extraordinary circumstances due to the airstrike but I can't see how this can be valid?

This whole scenario was made worse due to having been held on a runway for 4 hours by Ryanair in 30° heat (Lanzarote) and not being given water the day before!! I thought my bristol>belfast flight surely wouldn't have been affected!!! :-(

Any help would be much appreciated! I have made no contact with EJ/insurance yet until I have full understanding of my rights.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, some advice needed.

My Bristol>Belfast flight got cancelled yesterday morning due to them having to reroute our plane to make up for the previous day's strike.

Unable to wait until their alternative of the next day (in the evening!), we had to book separate flights from Exeter and travel down by train. In total the cost was approx £180. We will only be receiving a refund of £50 for our flights.

We were not flying over French airspace and the strike was over. It's rather evident that they calculated our flight to be most cost effective and chose to cancel it.

They still claim it to be extraordinary circumstances due to the airstrike but I can't see how this can be valid?

This whole scenario was made worse due to having been held on a runway for 4 hours by Ryanair in 30° heat (Lanzarote) and not being given water the day before!! I thought my bristol>belfast flight surely wouldn't have been affected!!! :-(

Any help would be much appreciated! I have made no contact with EJ/insurance yet until I have full understanding of my rights.

Hi Davidsona90,

Please have a read through some of the recent posts above yours, where this question has already been asked. Google and download 'Vaubans guide' and then come back with any specific questions you may still have.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Davidsona90
    Options
    Thanks Tyzap. Have read through it and same question still stands, really - can the airline extend the reason of "extraordinary circumstances" of French air strike, to a flight that wasn't due to fly over french airspace.

It is not directly impacted by the airstrike but indirectly due to airlines decision to sacrifice that route in favour of others.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Put your flight details into EuClaim and bottonline and see if they think you are due compensation
  • Tyzap
    Options
    Thanks Tyzap. Have read through it and same question still stands, really - can the airline extend the reason of "extraordinary circumstances" of French air strike, to a flight that wasn't due to fly over french airspace.

It is not directly impacted by the airstrike but indirectly due to airlines decision to sacrifice that route in favour of others.

Hi,

Your flight was affected by a 'knock on' delay caused by the French ATC strike.

There is a link to the Eglitis judgement, towards the bottom of Vaubans guide, which is very pertinent to your delay, check it out.

The more time that passes between the EC and your delayed flight the stronger your claim will be, as the airline must do all in it's power to recover from that incident and still operate your flight.

Research is the key to a good claim so find out as much as you can, especially the time line in your case.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • zfrl
    zfrl Posts: 641 Forumite
    Options
    Where do I find Vaubans superb guide please?
    :cool:
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    google it. we can't put a link here in our sigs due to silly forum rules. ;)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • zfrl
    zfrl Posts: 641 Forumite
    Options
    Hope someone can help - my flight was cancelled and the next available one with Easyjet was 4 days later.

I booked a flight the following day with another airline from another airport to a different UK destination. Easyjet refunded me some but not all of the difference in the flight costs.

I also ate at the airport (not the original airport). They are refusing to pay for my meal as they say food was provided (not at the airport I was now at it wasn't).

Next I had to get a taxi from the airport where I landed to the airport where my car was. They are refusing to pay as they say this was "post flight arrangements".

Next I had the additional parking costs - this they are refusing to pay because of "policy for EU".

In total I am £140 out of pocket.

Do I have a claim and is it worth pursuing?

Not sure if something similar has been asked before - if so I apologise but this is a long thread.
    :cool:
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]
  • Tyzap
    Options
    zfrl wrote: »
    Hope someone can help - my flight was cancelled and the next available one with Easyjet was 4 days later.

I booked a flight the following day with another airline from another airport to a different UK destination. Easyjet refunded me some but not all of the difference in the flight costs.

I also ate at the airport (not the original airport). They are refusing to pay for my meal as they say food was provided (not at the airport I was now at it wasn't).

Next I had to get a taxi from the airport where I landed to the airport where my car was. They are refusing to pay as they say this was "post flight arrangements".

Next I had the additional parking costs - this they are refusing to pay because of "policy for EU".

In total I am £140 out of pocket.

Do I have a claim and is it worth pursuing?

Not sure if something similar has been asked before - if so I apologise but this is a long thread.

Hi zfri,

Yes, it should all be reclaimable under EC261 regs except for the additional parking charge. If they refuse again ask for your case to be referred to CEDR who will adjudicate on it and find in your favour.

Expecting you to wait for four days is completely unacceptable so should be a slam dunk!

Good luck.
  • Mollypop
    Options
    Hi, our flight was delayed for just under 4 hours. It was due to a technical fault caused by lightning strike on the previous flight. Easyjet have said we are not eligible for compensation as it was due to lightning strike and they only pay out for technical faults (which it was) and not for bad weather (our flight wasn't delayed because of the weather it was because the plane wasn't working and they were unable to fix it). On the easyjet app, the reason was originally given as a technical fault and then later was changed to say lightning strike. :wall:

I have found a no win no fee company who say they can claim for technical faults caused by lightning strike and was wondering if anyone had experience/success with this. Or any other advice. Thank you.
    On the path to financial freedom. Ask me how :grin::wave::D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure