We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• legal_magpie
    Options
    Agreed. Each claim would be treated as a separate cause of action
  • mica2
    mica2 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya,
    So I've have been through CEDR about our below claim. EasyJet are still saying that it was due to extraordinary circumstances as there were storms at the final point of destination (which wasn't what the captain told us on the flight). Reading through the masses of written garbage they have blamed it on a previous flight being diverted to Venice which therefore had a knock on effect. And reading one post on here can I tell them it is not an EC as it was the previous flight affected not ours?
    I also picked out something else I could use against them. They say that the night time curfew ban in Venice is 00:30 local time and that the inbound flight to Gatwick arrived at 22:15 London tim which would mean it would be too late to take off from Gatwick. But our flight wasn't cancelled until 11:30 London time so why weren't we told it was cancelled before 11:30?? Surely if you know that at 10:15 the flight would only have 15 minutes to take off to be able to make to Venice before the curfew then you'd announce it then?
    They also give another reason for it not taking off from Gatwick due to a lack of slots and that that is in itself an EC.

Another thing they did which shows their incompetence is that they sent me someone elses claim by mistake! And it appears to be the same flight that Gorie was on to Toulouse? Same date! So I'll be following Gorie's claim to see how it compares to mine.

Any advice on what I can put in my reply to Easyjet? They say that planes can't fly through storms but I live under the Heathrow flight path and I've seen planes fly through really bad storms. Surely aircraft is built to withstand lightening or am I being naive here?
    I'm worried now we don't have a case as they are saying there was bad weather, but why weren't we told that at the airport?

Thanks for your help :)

"Hello,
    Easyjet have declined our claim for our delayed flight. We were due to fly to Venice from Gatwick on July 25th at 8:30pm. When we arrived to check-in the flight was announced it was delayed by an hour. Each hour then kept passing with another announcement it was delayed even further until we got to 11:30pm and it was announced our flight had been cancelled and we'd have to wait at the airport until 5:45am. The reason they gave us all night for the delays was due to a backlog of planes in Europe and then it was cancelled due to the crew exceeding their working hours.

The staff at Gatwick told us they couldn't get us a room anywhere for the night but when I kicked up a stink and informed them that it is illegal and that I am pregnant and can't sleep on a seat all night they eventually got us a room in a nearby hotel. We then caught the early flight the next morning.

The following day Easyjet emailed us to apologise for the delay and said it was due to a storm in Italy. At no point were we told this waiting at the airport. Also, when we arrived in Venice relatives told us that there was a storm but it only lasted less than an hour plus the flight was already delayed before the storm happened.

Is there anyway we have a claim? I feel like Easyjet are trying to squirm their way out of this. Thank you in advance for any help."
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looking at Wunderground, there was a thunderstorm in Venice that day for a couple of hours in the late afternoon/early evening. That's probably what delayed the flight coming from VCE (it didn't arrive into LGW until 11pm) and ultimately caused the cancellation of your flight going back. I'll let others advice on what that means for your claim.
  • smoothound
    Options
    Just thought I would let others know our experience in claiming for a delayed flight.

We submitted a claim and were told by Easyjet we qualified for compensation. Over 3 hours late and had to get off the plane before it even took off and wait for another plane due to a technical failure. All good at this point concerning our claim

Like others we waited ages, chased and chased and in the end I was determined to make an absolute pest of myself with Easyjet phoning and emailing daily. As others have said do not sit back and expect them to pay you, they will not and don't seem to have any care for the customer experience.

We have now been paid but hugely disappointed with this airline. Shame as the pilot and cabin crew on the day were good at keeping us all informed about the delay, they could have turned a delay and complaint into a positive customer experience but now this customer (who flies 3-4 times a year) will not use them again. They don't seem to understand that the customer experience is everyone within their company that has a interaction with their customer.

I see on this forum that there is such appalling service from this and other airlines. In particular around the obligation to compensation payments in cases where EU flight delay rulings apply - what the hell are the CAA doing here? They certainly seem to have no interest in making things easier for the British public. why is it that so many bodies overseeing certain industries seem so toothless and unhelpful?

We have one more flight with them, booked before this sorry episode. After that we will be using Norwegian where we can who have a good route coverage from Gatwick. Used them a number of times already and so far so good.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    smoothound wrote: »
    Just thought I would let others know our experience in claiming for a delayed flight.

We submitted a claim and were told by Easyjet we qualified for compensation. Over 3 hours late and had to get off the plane before it even took off and wait for another plane due to a technical failure. All good at this point concerning our claim

Like others we waited ages, chased and chased and in the end I was determined to make an absolute pest of myself with Easyjet phoning and emailing daily. As others have said do not sit back and expect them to pay you, they will not and don't seem to have any care for the customer experience.

We have now been paid but hugely disappointed with this airline. Shame as the pilot and cabin crew on the day were good at keeping us all informed about the delay, they could have turned a delay and complaint into a positive customer experience but now this customer (who flies 3-4 times a year) will not use them again. They don't seem to understand that the customer experience is everyone within their company that has a interaction with their customer.

Isee on this forum that there is such appalling service from this and other airlines. In particular around the obligation to compensation payments in cases where EU flight delay rulings apply - what the hell are the CAA doing here? They certainly seem to have no interest in making things easier for the British public. why is it that so many bodies overseeing certain industries seem so toothless and unhelpful?

We have one more flight with them, booked before this sorry episode. After that we will be using Norwegian where we can who have a good route coverage from Gatwick. Used them a number of times already and so far so good.

What makes you think that Norwegian will pay out any better when things go wrong,do they stand at the bottom of the steps and hand cash out?
    As for airlines not rushing to pay compensation,when it comes to refunding payments try getting money back in a hurry when you have paid by credit card and promised a refund,most companies say 10 to 14 days.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    smoothound wrote: »
    .... - what the hell are the CAA doing here? They certainly seem to have no interest in making things easier for the British public. why is it that so many bodies overseeing certain industries seem so toothless and unhelpful?....

Government doesn't give them teeth.

Do certain industry companies donate to political parties?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    smooth, unfortunately NONE of the airlines play fair or adhere to the 261/2004 regualtions. They certainly don't enter into the spirit of it's intentions, even 12 years on after it became law.
    Originally BA were OK at paying what was due, not so now.
    As you say CAA have been next to useless over the regulation and it has required individuals to push the airlines, clarify law and progress this over many years.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • archersluck
    Options
    £510 each for a flight from 2013, very pleased and it was quick using the form on easyjets site

Saving for a deposit: £11,621.15
    20/25lbs
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done and enjoy.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • mica2
    mica2 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    Looking at Wunderground, there was a thunderstorm in Venice that day for a couple of hours in the late afternoon/early evening. That's probably what delayed the flight coming from VCE (it didn't arrive into LGW until 11pm) and ultimately caused the cancellation of your flight going back. I'll let others advice on what that means for your claim.
    Can I then tell them it's not an EC as it was the previous flight being delayed that was the cause? I need to respond to them by next week.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback