Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Options

Comments

• edinburgers
    Options
    Thanks for your reply 111KAB.
    I will have a read of Vauban's guide also.
  • Gooner85_2
    Options
    Hi can someone offer me advice on a vey fluid situation.
    I was due to fly back to Gatwick today from a 3 day weekend break in Europe. Our flight was overbooked and we were put on standby by easyJet, which we didn't manage to get a seat for.
    They have confirmed us on a flight back for the 1st which is outrageous. So I have independently booked a flight back to Standtead (which itself will be a nightmare, my cars parked at Gatwick ...) tomorrow with Ryanair which has set me back £300. They said if I booked elsewhere I would not be given a hotel. So for the time being I have not informed them, as I couldn't afford to not have a place to stay. What should I do in terms of checking out of the hotel tomorrow? Shall I inform the hotel? What do I do in terms of getting easyJet to compensate us. This has been a complete nightmare for us, some of the easyJet staff were extremely unhelpful. My sister is a doctor and had to be at work on Wednesday, so there's no chance we could stay till the 1st. Just very stressed about the whole thing.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have been denied boarding by EJ as it was overbooked.
    Did EJ provide you with transport to and from hotel as well as cover cost of hotel? I would just leave the hotel. EJ have royally F@#£ed you about so don't feel guilty.
    You should ask for a refund at the airport to make your own arrangements and you will probably be due compensation under regualtion 261/2004. Downlad Vauban's guide and getting reading on your flight back.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Regulation 261/04 is reasonably clear about what should happen in these circumstances.

a) you have been "denied boarding" which means you are entitled to compensation of either 250, 400 or 600 euros per passenger - depending on the distance due to be travelled;

b) additionally, you are owed a duty of care during the time for which you are delayed - this means meals, non-alcoholic drinks and (reasonable) hotel accommodation. Make sure you keep all the receipts;

c) finally, you are due either a full refund of the cost of the flight or have the right to "rerouting" at the earliest opportunity. I would argue that an offer of rerouting three days later is not reasonable, and that therefore the airline should pay for the costs of your ticket with Ryanair and the (reasonable) costs of transport from Stanstead to Gatwick. The problem is that the Regilation is not specific about what constitutes a reasonable offer of rerouting and whether the airline has an obligation to use another company to get you home if they can't do it quickly.

All of which is to say you have got a great case for a) and b) - plus a refund as outlined in c). But I suspect that the cost of the Ryanair flight may be a lot more than the refund, so if you want to claim for that (instead of a refund) you may need to start a legal claim.
  • Gooner85_2
    Options
    Thank you for your help.
    I managed to make it back to London. My return flight with easy jet is scheduled with them for Thursday evening. Should I cancel this with them for the refund and so they can pay me the difference towards the Ryan air flight, or should I just proceed to claiming compensation?
    They provided me hotel (not transport to it) and I informed the hotel I was leaving early.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should already have informed easyJet that you have rejected their offer of an alternative flight, and that in the absence of a reasonable offer of rerouting, you have secured an alternative flight and are seeking to reclaim the costs of the rerouted flight, as well as compensation under the provisions of Regulation 261-04.
  • $nake_eye$
    Options
    Hi All,

Looking some advice around a cancelled EasyJet flight from Stuttgart to Gatwick. EasyJet have confirmed that the reason the flight was cancelled was 'extraordinary' (the below text is an extract from the email they sent me)

As discussed, regarding the reason for the flight disruption on 2nd October 2016, we can only have a look into compensating for this according to the information provided by our Flight Disruption Report. I can confirm that the reason for the delay was due to the ATC restrictions which is classed as 'extraordinary' and under the EC261/2004 regulation compensation is not payable.

Is this end of the road with regards to claiming compensation? They have covered the expenses occurred but I would like to claim compensation also
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    EuClaim say you are due €250 per passenger. Download and read Vaubans Guide. Read and send a Letter Before Action to Easyjet giving them 14 days to agree to pay. All explained in the guide

Goodluck
  • $nake_eye$
    Options
    Thanks Justice, ive taken a template from Vauban's guide, and reworded slightly as its a flight cancellation rather than a delay. Sent the mail to CEO Carolyn McCall Carolyn.McCall@easyJet.com.
  • Aefio
    Options
    Hello,

Is there any way of finding out officially whether strike/industrial action took place?

EJ are using strike/industrial action as an excuse to not pay compensation, but we were told at the airport our delay was due to the crew running out of flying hours.

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure